Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What is "Mai" Hime? - Minitokyo

What is "Mai" Hime?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Kanvas

Kanvas

Treasures-of-Life Collector

Hello everyone. Sorry for asking you another dumb question but i really wonder about this.
In the name of the anime "My Hime" or "Mai Hime" or "Mi Hime", I often see the Japanese character for "mai" before "Hime", What is the meaning of the character "mai"? And why do we have so many way to write it in English? Does it have a orginal or a right way how to spell "mai" in English?

-Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

-If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month.
-------Theodore Roosevelt---------

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

The Japanese word "mai" is the verb to dance. Therefore, Mai-HiME, referring to Tokiha Mai, is the Dancing Princess. However, when the title was translated into English, rather than using "Mai", someone decided to use "My", perhaps as a play on words, and therefore the name has stuck in English as the title of the series; in fact, the official Japanese website uses the "my" spelling even though the traditional romanization of the word would suggest the "mai" spelling.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Static subs used "My" because during the anime Nagi refers to the hime's as HER (Mai's) hime. So I guess it is a play on words, but since Mai is also dancing while she summons, it's a triple pun! Oh what am I saying...

SRVHS Anime club! Now showing: Futakoi Alternative, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.
Signature

They are just playing on words but you can see that Sunrise which makes the anime calls it My-HiME in English on the official website.

Claude

15th Division Taichou

My-HiME and Mai HiME r both correct. the kanji shown in the title is 'Mai' but in the official site it's shown as 'My'.

Fear my Zanpaku-to, 'Rengeki'!!

If i'm dodging, i won't let him cut me
If i'm protecting someone, i won't let her die
And if i'm attacking, I'll cut you!!

- Kurosaki Ichigo, Bleach

Diaphanus

Usor Linguae Latinae

I posted explanations of the Japanese and English titles here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=420936&postcount=89

Diaphanus sum. Usor Linguae Latinae (User of the Latin Language).
Signature

Wow I wonder if Sunrise wanted us to think so much.

SRVHS Anime club! Now showing: Futakoi Alternative, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu.
Signature

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.