Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Repressed (and Recovered) Trauma Memories? - Minitokyo

Repressed (and Recovered) Trauma Memories?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

So recently I've come across literature that has an ongoing debate about trauma memories that were repressed and recovered at a later date. For example, a daughter claiming that she watched her father rape and kill her best friend when she was 8, but she only recently recovered the memory after a long period of amnesia.

This kind of stuff happens in anime too. Oh, and it is often the case that these memories are brought up in the court system to sue / charge other people based on these memories..

So I was wondering, do you guys believe in these 'memories'?

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

I was hesitant to answer this one, but I might as well.

Quote by unicorn2006I was wondering, do you guys believe in these 'memories'?

Actually, I know a good friend of mine who underwent this sort of thing. At first, she started off very depressed because she lost her mother when she was about 10 or something like that - I believe so around here. Anyways, it was an unfortunate tragic accident, because she was there in that car accident when her mother instant died from the impact - I mean, sometimes you have to just look into her eyes, and wonder what is ever going on throughout her mind. She appeared like she was going to lose it then and there.

Unfortunately, even though she went through a normal life afterwards - and I could probably bet to say she seemed so extremely happy at that time that no one would ever think this tragedy would creep up to her again, we heard about another car accident one day and it was the same kind of incident that she had been in, many years ago. A child loses their mother and father in a car accident - and surprisingly, this girl was related to my friend in question as well. She just fainted off the bat when she realized it and I've never seen her snap like that in such a long while. So yes, I guess these things do happen in real life, of course. It's haunting to see little children on the news who are physically / mentally abused grow up to be twitching over these horrible moments. It'll carry them on for life perhaps, believe me. That's all I have to say here.

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

Arc213

The Ghost of Chivalry

I think it is possible, at least theroretically speaking, but I don't know enough about phsycology to actually know whether or not these events did actually happen.

I change for no one. I live to go on being uncompromised.
I am not a dreamer for I live my dreams.

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

Quote by CelessaUnfortunately, even though she went through a normal life afterwards - and I could probably bet to say she seemed so extremely happy at that time that no one would ever think this tragedy would creep up to her again, we heard about another car accident one day and it was the same kind of incident that she had been in, many years ago. A child loses their mother and father in a car accident - and surprisingly, this girl was related to my friend in question as well. She just fainted off the bat when she realized it and I've never seen her snap like that in such a long while. So yes, I guess these things do happen in real life, of course. It's haunting to see little children on the news who are physically / mentally abused grow up to be twitching over these horrible moments. It'll carry them on for life perhaps, believe me. That's all I have to say here.

hm.. ic.. but this friend didn't completely forget that the accident never occurred right..? I guess I was referring to people that completely forget that it ever happened and years later, suddenly remember it.

"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

Jyu-Jyu

Jyu-Jyu

*blush*

i think it's very much possible -- the human mind has great powers that we may not know of -- but i think that if a person supresses those thoughts -- they may seem fine -- but if something were to trigger that thought -- then they will remember --

punker0017

punker0017

My backpack's got jets

This is an interesting topic, and I happen to be a psychology major. It is possible for an event to be so traumatic that the person represses the memory. And it is possible for them to regain the memory that was repressed. In the case of Celessa's friend, the event (mother's car crash) was known to be true. However, if someone regains "memories" of an event that no one else knows to be true (such as the rape and murder in unicorn2006's example) these "memories" should be taken with a grain of salt. Their "memories" could be fabrications created by any number of things. There have been many cases in which these regained "memories" have been proven to be false. The use of a "truth serum" (a chemical compound used to put a person into a state in which they are supposed to be able to tell only the truth, but are in fact placed in a hypnotic state where they are very susceptible to suggestion), leading questioning, and repeated question can all lead to the fabrication of "memories."

Hope that wasn't too confusing

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

Quote by punker0017There have been many cases in which these regained "memories" have been proven to be false. The use of a "truth serum" (a chemical compound used to put a person into a state in which they are supposed to be able to tell only the truth, but are in fact placed in a hypnotic state where they are very susceptible to suggestion), leading questioning, and repeated question can all lead to the fabrication of "memories."

woahhhh, what is this 'truth serum' thing? Does the chemical induce the hypnotic state..? That's so weird.. I've never heard that one before.

punker0017

punker0017

My backpack's got jets

Quote by unicorn2006woahhhh, what is this 'truth serum' thing? Does the chemical induce the
hypnotic state..? That's so weird.. I've never heard that one before.

sorry, I should explain. This "truth serum" is a chemical compound called Sodium Pentothal. If you would like some more information, check these sites:
http://www.psicologia.freeservers.com/diversos/soro_verdade.html
http://slate.msn.com/id/2057471/

Signature in violation of the Signature Guidelines

yeah it happened to one of my friends she fell off of a horse and went into a coma for a couple month. se came out off it and didnt remember what happened.

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Body, Mind & Fashion | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.