Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 RPG's -- Who warms the bench? - Minitokyo

RPG's -- Who warms the bench?

page 1 of 1 4 total items

RPG fans will no doubt recognize the idea of a group that goes off on a long, difficult, quest. Sometimes there are [6] in a game, sometimes less, sometimes many more.

Usually only a handful of characters can be used at a give time, so, when you're picking your party -- what kind of character often ends up warming up the benches for long stretches? Any kind of pattern to it?

(Ex. you may not like using predominant healers, etc.)

arcxero

arcxero

Cast In The Name Of God.

I usually tend to use parties that are all about just dealing out enough damage to kill before being killed. Healing and strategy usually isn't my preference.

To know what is right and choose to ignore it is the act of a coward.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

In general, I like to keep my parties fairly balanced, which could entail completely different things depending on the individual game in question. This usually, however, involves having some kind of healer in the mix. However, I'm less about strategy than about the story itself so oftentimes I'll toss what are objectively the most logical combinations out the window in favor of a party of characters that particularly endeared themselves to me, either though their mannerisms or backstory, or if I felt that given their personalities would be the ones who work best together.

Sure, this may mean that the game may be that much more difficult, but in the end, for me at least, it feels that much more rewarding, and feels less than a game where I'm constrained by the mechanics rather than a means by which a story gets told to me.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Quote by shinsengumiIn general, I like to keep my parties fairly balanced, which could entail completely different things depending on the individual game in question.

Well said. Normally, this is my objective as well: Balance.

That said...

Quote: This usually, however, involves having some kind of healer in the mix. However, I'm less about strategy than about the story itself so oftentimes I'll toss what are objectively the most logical combinations out the window in favor of a party of characters that particularly endeared themselves to me, either though their mannerisms or backstory, or if I felt that given their personalities would be the ones who work best together.

Right, if the game is about the story and journey along the way, it is the characters that become the most important and enjoyable vehicle in getting there. So, as you say, oft-times I'll focus on characters that have meandered their way in, and become favorites for one reason or another.

Sometimes that's done at the expense of a balance, but most often it seems to works out, while allowing for a great experience.

Also, as an aside, I've noticed that if the game warranted a second run-through, that in using some of the cast that weren't as utilized the first time, that it provides a different twist to the whole experience.

Quote: Sure, this may mean that the game may be that much more difficult, but in the end, for me at least, it feels that much more rewarding, and feels less than a game where I'm constrained by the mechanics rather than a means by which a story gets told to me.

Couldn't have said it any better.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to Music & Movies | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.