Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 MG Gundam Models skills - Minitokyo

MG Gundam Models skills

page 1 of 1 16 total items

JC206

JC206

The Chaos Mod

To build a MG Gundam model do you have to start out fresh with building tons of 1/144, 1/100 standard models and tons of HG 1/144 or MG 1/100 or can you just go straight with building an MG model without any practice from easier building models? In other words are MG models hard to build if you've never build any gundams before? Cause I'm thinking about buying a MG Freedom Gundam...but I'm not sure if skills are needed to be able to build something like that....:'(

destati

Yuusha-Oh

Depends. Do you want to paint it? Do you want to panel line? Do you intend to make lots of models, or just this one?

There's nothing wrong with starting with a MG. However, if you're going to make more models, I'd advise starting on a HG to practice. If you don't, you might look back at your first MG and think it looks like crap. I just finished a MG Wing ver. Ka, and I don't think it would've looked as good if I hadn't been making models for some years now. I don't paint them, though. I'm not that hardcore.

What I use:

Scissors - for cutting the parts off of the runners
Exact-o knife - for taking excess plastic off of the parts
File - same as the knife, only for smoothing out edges and such
Gundam markers - fine tip for panel lines (black for colored pieces, grey for white pieces), maybe some fat tip ones for coloring (I colored the hilt and sheath of my Red Frame's Gerbara Straight).
Toothpick - for applying stickers in hard-to-reach places

You could make a passable looking one with just some scissors because all the pieces are snap together.

Some basics:

- Cut all the pieces out with scissors. If you twist them off, you'll leave white stress marks in the plastic that'll show up later.
- Don't overcut! You can always take more off, but you can't put stuff back on.
- The file is your friend. Don't try to cut off all the plastic from the runners with the knife, because you'll probably mess up.
- If you do decide to paint it, paint the parts while they're still on the runners. This will make your life a lot easier.
- Same with panel lines. Draw them in as you go, not when the model's all assembled.

So yeah. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with starting with a MG. Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

Athrun

Athrun

Flying Chain Chomp

Quote by destatiDepends. Do you want to paint it? Do you want to panel line? Do you
intend to make lots of models, or just this one?
There's nothing wrong with starting with a MG. However, if you're going
to make more models, I'd advise starting on a HG to practice. If you
don't, you might look back at your first MG and think it looks like
crap. I just finished a MG Wing ver. Ka, and I don't think it would've
looked as good if I hadn't been making models for some years now. I
don't paint them, though. I'm not that hardcore.
What I use:
Scissors - for cutting the parts off of the runners
Gundam markers - fine tip for panel lines (black for colored pieces,
grey for white pieces), maybe some fat tip ones for coloring (I colored
the hilt and sheath of my Red Frame's Gerbara Straight).
You could make a passable looking one with just some scissors because
all the pieces are snap together.
Some basics:
- Cut all the pieces out with scissors. If you twist them off, you'll
leave white stress marks in the plastic that'll show up later.
- Don't overcut! You can always take more off, but you can't put stuff
back on.
- The file is your friend. Don't try to cut off all the plastic from
the runners with the knife, because you'll probably mess up.
- If you do decide to paint it, paint the parts while they're still on
the runners. This will make your life a lot easier.
- Same with panel lines. Draw them in as you go, not when the model's
all assembled.
So yeah. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with starting with a MG.
Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

Thank you sir. Now I finally figured out why my 1/144 Blitz model sucked. X_X

Anyway, I think you might need exp... it'll make thins easier. Or you could just go buy it and take the tips. X_X

Sorry I can't be much help. :(

Still buying pokemon cards?
My Ebay!
Don't miss out on very rare stuff! *Japanese Shiny Krookodile*, Full Art Ho-oh EX and Elesa deck sleeves! Very hard to find and very expensive from Japanese sellers! Get them while they're at a low cost! Ending very soon!

gundex

gundex

- Gundam Freak -

hmm according to my experince... it'll be better if u start from HG 1/144 or maybe 1/100 model... this just make u familiar with model... and of course u don't hav to build a tons of 1/144 or 1/100...^^

my first gundam is 1/144 Gundam Double X, i've made it without knowing any modelling skills and guess the result is terrible... but luckily i don't break any part at all...^^ and the second is SD Nu Gundam, i'm using paint for this one but no airbrush just using normal brush, the third is 1/144 HGUC Gundam MkII Titan Version i'm also using paint for this one but not much since the color already match with the real MkII from the show... ^^ well yes the second and the third r much better than the first one...^^

if u want to build MG model i suggest u buy a model that doestn't hav a lot of part... u can go to www.hlj.com to look around... if i'm not wrong Freedom hav 266 part... yes right this is hard if u never build a model before... better if u buy the 1/100 model first or maybe 1/144 model.

In my opinnion SEED or SEED Destiny 1/144 HG version r great kit... and they can do a lot of cool pose that the other 1/144 HG model can't do even 1/100 model can't do...^^

well JC-san hope my exprerience can help u to decide what model u should start with...^^ and just make sure u follow destati's tips... good luck...

-- \"It\'s because there\'s something i can protect only by fighting.\" Kira Yamato --

Signature

JC206

JC206

The Chaos Mod

So should I start out with a HG 1/144 or a Standard 1/100?

Just buy what you deemed is the cheapest and which you can throw away without hurt if it turns out disastrous. That way, you can have an initial (and cheap) judgement of how far you are from a standard that can handle a MG set. Then you can go about improving yourself and step up to HG or such and onwards to MG.

Genosider

The Last Raven

Quote by JC206So should I start out with a HG 1/144 or a Standard 1/100?

HG 1/144. they're the cheapest of the lot and satisfying to a degree. HGUC designs are classic, simple and interesting, while I find that Seed HG designs are rather redundant.

Signature
Armored Core-The machines that would challenge god.

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

Master Grade models are a cinch. I can usually finish them in around 6 hours. The 1/144 scale models are too low grade and undetailed. The MG are a balance of detail and build time.

"If you bet there is no God and you win, you win nothing, but if you lose, you lose everything. If you bet there is a God and you win, you win everything, and if you lose, you lose nothing. Rationally speaking, God is the best bet." - Blaise Pascel
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature Image
[No one can make you feel inferior without your consent...]

Genosider

The Last Raven

Quote by SolidSnake2017Master Grade models are a cinch. I can usually finish them in around 6 hours. The 1/144 scale models are too low grade and undetailed. The MG are a balance of detail and build time.

How much detailing you put in them?

Signature

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

I mean in the model itself, i don't do any custom stuff like painting or decals.

"If you bet there is no God and you win, you win nothing, but if you lose, you lose everything. If you bet there is a God and you win, you win everything, and if you lose, you lose nothing. Rationally speaking, God is the best bet." - Blaise Pascel
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature Image

Genosider

The Last Raven

Oic, no wonder. so you just build them out of the box?

Signature

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

Yeah, I'm not hardcore or anything. As long as they turn out looking something like what was on the box I'm happy ^_^;;.

Signature Image

Genosider

The Last Raven

Lol, yeah, as long as you're you're having fun building the model. I usually do a bit of painting and for my 1/144 models, and they don't look half-bad... MG ones are just too expensive for a poor student for me....

Signature

I have a lot of MG models. I'll say it depends on the model itself, some can be hard and others easy. For the MG Freedom, I found it quite easy to build. Just remember to cut the parts from the runners cleanly by using a cutter and look at the instructions well before finalizing the assembly (it's annoying to open up parts when you see some details missing.) Lastly. if you really want to make the model look good, buy a 'Gundam Marker" (.04 thickeness) or if you can't find one, a fine pigment ink pen will do. Use it to draw the lines you see in the pictures.

JC206

JC206

The Chaos Mod

So should I just go for it or have some practice first....because some say that if you want it to look good you would need practice but then some of you guys/gurls say that it's very easy if you just look at the directions thoroughly and carefully and then it wouldn't be a problem.......which worries me........so is the practice an important aspect to build the MG Freedom or is it just the builder having the quality of patience

Quote by destatiDepends. Do you want to paint it? Do you want to panel line? Do you intend to make lots of models, or just this one?
There's nothing wrong with starting with a MG. However, if you're going to make more models, I'd advise starting on a HG to practice. If you don't, you might look back at your first MG and think it looks like crap. I just finished a MG Wing ver. Ka, and I don't think it would've looked as good if I hadn't been making models for some years now. I don't paint them, though. I'm not that hardcore.
What I use:Scissors - for cutting the parts off of the runners
Gundam markers - fine tip for panel lines (black for colored pieces, grey for white pieces), maybe some fat tip ones for coloring (I colored the hilt and sheath of my Red Frame's Gerbara Straight).
You could make a passable looking one with just some scissors because all the pieces are snap together.
Some basics:
- Cut all the pieces out with scissors. If you twist them off, you'll leave white stress marks in the plastic that'll show up later.
- Don't overcut! You can always take more off, but you can't put stuff back on.
- The file is your friend. Don't try to cut off all the plastic from the runners with the knife, because you'll probably mess up.
- If you do decide to paint it, paint the parts while they're still on the runners. This will make your life a lot easier.
- Same with panel lines. Draw them in as you go, not when the model's all assembled.
So yeah. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with starting with a MG. Just be careful, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep this in mine

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.