Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 I need help, got an IE virus - Minitokyo

I need help, got an IE virus

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 36 total items

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

I've seen this page before... as a redirect when I've tried old, now unregistered domains. And it did pop up ads too if I remember correctly. Everyone here is saying that it's based on virus/spyware, but the solutions haven't worked... Which leads me to think that the file that is called when "about:blank" is entered has been modified.
That's right! about:blank calls a file on your computer... I remember resetting this element in class before... but I forgot where it's located. I think it's an internal routing protocol. Or proxy setting. I remember it being hard to find before. I think it's being re-routed internally by your computer.

Try Firefox. SHouldn't matter much if your system is compromised or not. Open your FILE Explorer (short cut: <Windows Key> + "e">). THen in location type in a URL, not a hard drive location.
http://www.mozilla.org/
That may bypass the missettings in I.E.

Then try to use the "about:blank" in Firefox to see if it is being rerouted.
It's been a while... so I'll have to review my notes.

Oh and try AVG anti-virus. they offer a Free home version for people, and it's virus definitions are updated regularly.

Okay. I hope you know how to reformat a computer.

First of all, save any psd files of wallpapers you want to keep (unless you already have backup). Then, you reformat everything. Your com HD should look brand spanking new like when you first got it. No viruses etc. Then you install whenever you want back on it. Maybe first install firefox and then install any internet programs.

This will get rid of it but it takes a lot of work. I dunno, it's up to you.

Quote by melmachine18First, stop using Internet Explorer and begin to use Firefox. Secondly,
make sure that Spybot, Ad-aware, and
SpywareBlaster, which is a program that prevents spyware and
other viruses from entering your system by blocking the spyware-defined
websites, are installed (all three can be found on the internet and are
free to download). After that, make sure that you have a firewall
installed, and update your virus definitions with the three prorams as
often as possible so the more recently defined viruses can be searched
on the system and, if there are any on the system, removed quickly.

I second this advice.

Spybot spyware scanner

Ad-Aware adware scanner

SpywareBlaster

Antivir antivirus

ZoneAlarm firewall

Firefox browser

MuZ0NaZ

MuZ0NaZ

The Muzzinator

Try setting your homepage to smth else not about:blank :/
Also, I don't know if this helps againts this spyware, but in general you should set these options in IE:
http://img149.echo.cx/img149/4188/ieoptions3zz.png

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
--Terry Pratchett

forlorn-faith

forlorn-faith

Seeker of Serenity

You need to delete all the system restore points also. Or else everything is fultile. To be more secure, please run the programes in windows safe-mode and plug out your internet connection. Spybot S&D and Ad-aware (my fav) are powerful spyware removal. After you have cleaned up the sypware, time to set up your defensive system: Spybot S&D has tea-timer and ie shield, SpywareBlaster and SpyGuard will block the spy/adware before they are downloaded to ur comp. Last but not least, keep them uptodate or it will become useless.

Regards,

chibikko

chibikko

chibigaki

First thank you very much for your help. I tried severall programs and ran the scanning for spies. As the other programs already did, the new ones I installed deleted other spies, however the main problem is still there.
It doesn't help if I change the homepage. It'll change to the search-page again.
Reformating my PC is probably what I need to do. I've done this in the past several times and I hated it. I don't have all programs anymore and so it'd be horrible to live without them xD

Now I'm using Firefox, but it doesn't work with every page so I have to use IE sometimes. It's okay to me, the ads I get every hour aren't that annoying so I'll survive it xD
Thanks anyway for your support and help. I'll try all of these programs again, once I've found the problem.

amtcubus

amtcubus

Information is the key!

Easy case : Search your windows main directory for the hosts file.

Some Adware/Spyware tool added a line there.

Fly to anywhere, my COSMO!!!

Signature

hiddensnakehands

hiddensnakehands

Captain Obvious

Quote: It doesn't help if I change the homepage. It'll change to the search-page again

it seems some dll file has been modified, it is going to be hard to troubleshoot, but i would say update spyware definitions and boot to safe mode to scan, i am a pc consultant parttime, i have seen problems such as this, also if you are good enough, you could open up the registry editor to see if theres traces running. then Run>CMD>NETSTAT to find out the list of the processes running on your computer. I know it might be over your head now, but trust me, you will be okay

Quote by amtcubusEasy case : Search your windows main directory for the hosts file.

Some Adware/Spyware tool added a line there.

to do that, go search for hosts as part of the file name, open up the file with notepad(it is usually in c:\windows\system32\drivers...), make sure you see 127.0.0.1 local host there, anything else with 127.0.0.1 there should be deleted, make sure you cant scroll up and down anymore

i hope it helps

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

TimothytheDarkMagician

TimothytheDarkMagician

The True Dark Magician

Quote by EnchanterHave you tried removing the bug with an antivirus program and/or spyware remover?

that might do the trick...

Signature Image

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

Use Spyware S&D, symetech anti-virus, get a really good firewall, delete IE, use Firefox

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.
Roadie of .::DarK LeaF::.

Not sure if you've gotten rid of the virus yet, but the trial software of Kaspersky is amazing. It gives you full functionality for 30 days, plenty for you to get rid of that virus.

http://www.kaspersky.com/store?kaspersky

there's a link to the site. Just run a virus scan and delete any infected files the program points out.

John 3:17 - God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

A relationship with God is between you and Him. Don't worry if your pace doesn't please someone; it's all you. You're doing fine; He loves you just the way you are.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Ditch IE and get Firefox or Mozilla (get firefox first :P)

http://www.getfirefox.com

ive had more troubles with IE than anything else plus countless pop-ups

Signature Image

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 36 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.