Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Baking Blunders - Minitokyo

Baking Blunders

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

So...I've been trying to get these cookies and brownies to bake properly in my overn and I somehow manage to sear the edges ALWAYs and its tiring. Are there any cooking tips your parents or anyone else passed on to you? What dishes can you cook and are you good at cooking them? :D Is there anyone else out there as big a dunce as I with cooking?

Yue-Horrishino

Yue-Horrishino

Tsubasa Mahou

Cakes, im good doing Cokkies Cake, hmmmmmmm delicious.............
^-^ its true but i can do almost everything and i invent wile i'm cooking for me if it stays ok i'll cook for another person, but i always try it first....

Signature Image

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Can't cook anything except eggs and anything instant. I've tried and failed miserably. You don't want to know what happened when I tried to make meatballs. >.<

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

Akaiken

Akaiken

Ike, Fin Funnel!

Sorry, not a cook...

Signature
Unit No. - RX-93
Unit Name - Nu Gundam

rocknroll-isgo

rocknroll-isgo

Holy hole in a donut, Batman!

Generally speaking, I'm terrible at cooking. But there are a few things I am the master at in the kitchen... namely grilled cheese, macaroni & cheese, garlic bread, and cakes/cookies (not that that's necessarily impressive... ). I'm GOOD at them --- and I mean good. However, with anything else, you may need a trip to the emergency room to get your stomach pumped. >_>

Signature Image
{----------------------------------------------------------------{Antique.POP}

I'm great at making drinks, but actual cooking... *shivers*

i use to suck at cooking i made brownies once and when we cut them there was a whole egg cooked in the middle but now im really good everyone says they love my cooking especially my zesty stew and my pies the only tip ive learned is keep trying adventually its bound to turn out.

Signature Image

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

You might try changing the temperature just a bit on the brownies. ...But you'll still need to make sure they're thoroghly cooked. ...I'm not that experienced... ...I think that lowering the temperature just a bit might help. ...But Mordin could probably tell you for sure...

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

When I first moved out I was a terrible cook and almost everything I made was in the microwave. The more I practiced and had to do things on my own (and for others) the better I got at it. I didn't even really notice but I just tried a little harder each day and experimented (and kept a fire extinguisher handy!) a little and before I knew it I could cook. If you just never give up, I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Oh... ...And when we cooked brownies, when they were almost done, we'd take them out of the oven and test them with a toothpick. ...It was kind of a "good enough" approach I suppose...

Sunira

Sunira

www.sunira.net

Quote by Archer79Oh... ...And when we cooked brownies, when they were almost done, we'd
take them out of the oven and test them with a toothpick. ...It was
kind of a "good enough" approach I suppose...

Test them for what??? O_O; Soo..clueless....

Kuzain

eeto...uumo...

To see if they are cooked on the inside or not. If the brownie comes out all stuck to the toothpick it's not done yet.

~*Signature
	Image*~
Osaka-san!

Kumiko-H

Kumiko-H

Professional reader

I think Archer tests them to make sure they are cooked completely. No dough left in the middle. I cook a lot. It is something everyone in my family does. I really can't tell you anything but experiment and find out what you like. Like my sister likes spicy foods. I can not handle those so I take the spice out or not add as much. Still tastes just as good. I will say preparation is key, follow timing instructions, and have fun!!! As for the burning, sometimes certain pans can do that. So good cookware is a must!

Signature
All I want to do is read all day long. Can someone tell me how I can get a job like that! LET'S LEAD THE PROFESSIONAL READERS REVOLUTION!!! Any takers???

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I was just thinking about the pan itself too! You might need a pan that makes the mix thinner or thicker...

And yuppers.. ...See if it's baked or still sticky, just like Kumiko-H said! (Thanks!)

I don't get a lot of practice since my husband is a good cook, but when I do try to make something, I tend to botch it horridly.

Celessa

Retired Moderator

Celessa

Okaerinasai - Welcome Home

Searing the edges are kind of unavoidable, like I do when I cook Pizza in the oven. The crust always gets burnt before everything else. Tiring, yes? lol - How they do it, not really much of an idea. I do know though - that they have special ovens for this sort of stuff. Talk about water pressurizing cooking sets. lol

Wait a second! Cooking? **Points at her manual** Let's see.... hmm... **Flips the pages**

How to roast leechers? Nope.
How to toast stalkers? Hmm... sounds like a nice recipe! **Tears off the page and folds it neatly into her pocket** Wha? It's my friend's book. Meh. **Shrugs** ROFL

Ahh! Here we go! I know how to cook cookies, cake, make ice cream from scratch. Oh dear, oh my! A lot of mixing involved, believe me. lol

Then I can make pasta. Just give me a whole lot of chives, garlic, onion, ground beef / meatballs, and raw tomatoes, and watch me make the sauce real good. Yaya! Then we have steak which I can marinate well, and chicken. Never forget your chicken! ROFL - I also know how to make pizzas from scratch as well, and of course, make chicken stirfry. **Pulls out her teflon pan** Mwahaha! Oh dear, oh my. The pan is better than the fist, as they always say. **Whacks the stalkers away** Erm... lol - Flaming pans all good to go!

Anything else? **Scratches her head** I think I got them all down here. And yes, the root beer is effecting me as we speak. Don't ask me why. lol - Yaya!

"No matter where you go, no matter how tough life may be, just remember that always in your heart, you will still be loved."

Signature

MY Advise: Watch them closely! Pay attention to your cooking time and especially to the pan size, make sure you use the right time for the right pan. Its best in my opinion when cooking brownies to use a larger pan since they will cook more evenly and you wont end up burning the edges and the insides are still uncooked. In general though, your edges are always going to come out better done than the rest so just keep trying and eventually you will get as good as the kid with the golden hands from Yakitate Japan! I know this is condradictory to the post i just put in the Can Men Cook thread since i just said I can cook macaronni and cheese and popcorn but even though i dont cook brownies that doesnt mean i CANT if i wanted too and i dont know how!

oMo

Yeah like archer said the oven temp might be a little too high. And you've gotta make sure that you preheat the oven first (although make sure theres no plastic spatulas in the oven first, thats gonna take me forever to get out...)

As for me I really like to cook, I do a lot of Asian stuff in the wok...mmm...crispy noodles...(drool runs down face))...OH, uh, right, so...get on that and send me some of those cookies.

I've had my share of blunders. Like the last time I made Banana Bread... I told my boyfriend "Ok _I'm_ done" and i hadn't put flour and something else in just yet.. he thought I was done, and I meant to say I'm too tired/lazy to finish it, you do it! SO he put it in the oven and it turned out interesting...

Then there was the time i made nikujaga (meat and potatoes stew japanese style) and I thought the recipie said 5cups of shoyu (soy sauce) and I thought, "Hey that's goota be too much.. I'll just do half that.." Hehe well cups, tablespoons, and teaspoons are all different... hehe.. ^^;; I'm such a dunce that I read CUPS when it was tablespoons! Yes I am a spaz case...

But actually despite my occasional blunders I tend to make good desserts... and I make some tasty curry! My boyfriend does more cooking than I do, but when I actually cook something he gobbles it up so fast I can barely hear him say "fankju" between his mouthfulls.

Oh, and the secret to my awesomeness tasting brownies is to add a bit of vanilla extract when mixing. ^_^

bbls

bbls

Lazy days...

hahahaha...i envy you guys that you can cook/bake even with some small accidents in the kitchen. i'm quite useless in the kitchen...it's very embarrassing...lol!! i did try to make rice crispie treats and messed up on that...and it doesn't even require baking... XD
it came out too gooey and mushy...i had to run to the store to buy more rice crispie cereal...i was so ashamed!

Don't worry about tomorrow, don't think about yesterday,
don't live in the future, just make it through today!

Signature Image

ramchong

ramchong

Dirty Old Ninja Master

I'm darn good in eating... (that's why now i'm on diet decrease my weight!) sorry but not cooking...

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Im sorry but Im not very good cooking, I dont know much about tips on cook, I bet that you are very good about that. sorry my friend.

thecatmistress

thecatmistress

the cat`s meow

umm, i`m good with cakes, cookies, brownies pretty much bakery stuff except bread...

Signature Image
my user page made by k1ru ^^
COLOFULL WALLIES!

zenriek

Azure Swirl

The only thing I'm good at cooking is chili... And it's from a can. And I don't think many people count chili as cooking...

Whenever I cook/bake it's always burned, or I don't put enough or too much ingredients in anyway.

I let my sister and mom and dad do the cooking. I'll stay with the canned stuff.

page 1 of 1 24 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.