Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Cartoon Network Ruins Anime - Minitokyo

Cartoon Network Ruins Anime

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 44 total items

Quote by krnboijeltoonami should just air japanese anime ..in japanese.. and have subtitles..
and hey.. for the kids who can't read that fast?? they can just change the channel

LMAO

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

My favorite dubbing has to be Pokemon why is it that almost all the non-main characters have a southern accent?

"If you bet there is no God and you win, you win nothing, but if you lose, you lose everything. If you bet there is a God and you win, you win everything, and if you lose, you lose nothing. Rationally speaking, God is the best bet." - Blaise Pascel
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature Image
[No one can make you feel inferior without your consent...]

Not only Cartoon Network, just about any American TV studio that handles anime ends up really ruining the show.

Li-Mei

Li-Mei

Comatose

i think that they should leave it in japanese, and have subtitles. but if they have to cut scenes or anything then they shouldn't show it at all. if it's not appropriate, then show it at a later time when the younger kids are asleep and the older kids are mature enough to watch it.

Signature

wolfco

wolfco

Prelate

Since we all fundamental agree maybe we should ask ourselves if there is anything we can do about it. For one don't buy crap. If its a crappy release don't purchase it. Don't watch it on TV if it sucks. Instead of writing to Cartoon Network or your Senators or whoever you feel like complaining to, send them a suggestion. Give'm some numbers.

If you would challenge me, then you must first stand before the Darkness. You must look into it and become it. You must fall before it and then reach out to encompass it. When it is joined to your heart, you must overcome its insidious temptation. You are ready to face me when you can betray even your own heart in service to your cause.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I personally like to get to watch more action or whats on the screen than reading, although I do like subs too, and I wont watch them both. If I start watching an anime in one language I can't switch it. As far as good dubs go...Inu Yasha, I'm sorry I've heard the japanese voice cast I MUCH prefer the english voice cast they just fit perfectly. As far as the butchering of anime on tv, isnt that all due to regulations from congress and whats allowed to be shown on tv? It's not the networks fault, they also have to cater to whatever audience they are trying to get to watch, so if your pissed that they butchered pokemon, thats pretty sad, cause isn't that show for little kids? hehe Everyone ought to thank Cartoon Network for what they did for us, they practilly introduced anime to the mainstream of this country, I know they did me. Now as far as my tastes in anime go, I think I have surpassed most of their programming, I still love to watch tho. Adult Swim is always bringing us new anime and no one ever thanks them for what they are doing, the ratings show it...I heard they are almost ready to dump their anime/action lineup cause the ratings suck so bad...and they have some awesome shows in their lineup I mean come on...FMA in any language kicks ass, and another awesome dub...Ghost in the Shell SAC, never seen it in japanese before and I wouldn't even dream of it now, beautifully done voices suited the characters perfectly, I wish they did Innocence in the dubs, cause I sure as hell couldn't follow that movie in japanese for the life of me. Anyways I'll end this, I like dubs and subs, and I would like to thank Cartoon Network/Adult Swim for bringing us quality shows and introducing me to anime.

End Rant

AcesHigh521

AcesHigh521

Dance Ren, Dance!

Quote by krnboijel yeah.. i guess they do it to "protect our children from unnecessary
material".

That's the ghey thing, they shouldn't cut things out and alter stuff JUST so they can "protect the children" They show nudity and blood and everything in anime over in Japan, do YOU see japanese children shooting eachother with guns? The parents should do something about what their kids watch. If they're going to edit an anime so they can "protect the children" thats not being watched by their parents, then they just shouldnt air it at all. They also make the anime look so dumb and, dare I say it, "cartoony". There are a lot of "anime haters" in our country because of ghey things like cartoon network. Im sure that if they just aired the original subbed version of anime, a whole LOT more people will be in love with anime. Like me, I used to think anime was dumb and stupid because I didn't know how things like cartoon network corrupted the true beauty of anime.

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

Anime is a preference just like everything in life. Theres a lot of people in japan that don't like it. The reason it isn't as popular over he is because it is so alien. It shows traditions and values that we do not understand, and alienates most. I have found that people hate and love anime for the same exact reasons.
"i love anime because they have point noses, intense action, and interesting stories,"
"I hate anime they have those stupid noses, the overdramatic action, and nonsensical plots!"

"If you bet there is no God and you win, you win nothing, but if you lose, you lose everything. If you bet there is a God and you win, you win everything, and if you lose, you lose nothing. Rationally speaking, God is the best bet." - Blaise Pascel
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Signature Image

xkaleidostarx

xkaleidostarx

Smile! ^_^

I think you guys fail to give some very good dubs credit. Sure, people argue dubs take away the originality of the series, but that's why DVDs have Japanese w/ subtitles available! xD And, it's not neccesarily Cartoon Network who ruins the anime, but the publishing companies that dub the anime. FUNimation, for instance (they were behind dbz). Thankfully, they won't be dubbing Naruto. *whew*
Where did you hear about the company cutting out that part of Naruto? How disappointing. :(

But, anyways, back to my point. There are some very good dubs out there, believe it or not. I think I may be the only person in America who thinks this, but I found the Fruba dub quite enjoyable, and I also liked the Cowboy Bebop, Azumanga Daioh and Chrno Crusade dubs.

Oh well, I'm an oddball who likes to defend dubs. ^_^ Maybe that's because I want to be a voice actress when I grow up. o_o

My point? Subs are wonderful, of course, but give some dubs a chance! SOME are actually very well done...you just have to look for them. <3

Signature Image
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

SolidSnake2017

Gravy Train!!

Then your not a real anime fan get out of here...

Oh wait Dubs are just fine and its the elitist who reject any show on the basis of it being dubbed.

Signature Image

xkaleidostarx

xkaleidostarx

Smile! ^_^

I'm not a real anime fan? o_o I didn't realize I have to worship subs and smite dubs in order to be a "real" anime fan.

Signature Image
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

xkaleidostarx

xkaleidostarx

Smile! ^_^

Okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Signature Image
(\_/)
(O.o)

screenlooker

screenlooker

master chief's real face

cartoon network is only half of it!
the translators(such as 4 kids!) ruin them
4kids made tokyo mew mew suck (they called it mew mew power and changed ichigo's name to zoie. asses) as well as one piece, and maybe even card captors

Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.

Personally I respect Cartoon Network for bringing Anime to the forefront here in America. Without the decisions to not only start airing all of DBZ, Sailor Moon, and The Big O I don't beleive Anime would have caught on in the u.s. as much as it has. And there are SOME good dubs out there. Namely the Big-O and Cowboy Bebop.

And it is not the network that dubs or changes the script...it is the companies that bring the show here in the first place and even sometime the Japanese companies themselves believing they know how to market to an american audience. Some have difft. policies then others and it has gotten MUCH better in the past 3-4 years than it was 8- 10 yrs ago. If you didn't live thru that time when only vhs was around you don't know how good the rest of you have it with Anime on t.v and even Anime with subs on t.v. as well.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) Helping with world domination..........

CyanideBlizzard

Retired Moderator

CyanideBlizzard

Margarita Time!

Yeah, it ruins anime, so very, very much. *sarcasm*

Thanks to Adult Swim, we are given anime series that are left un-cut (to a point, of course nudity isn't allow and depending on the language as well, but the majority, if not all, is left untouched) and actually have decent dubs, but of course we want subs because we're picky and even though the dubs really aren't that bad, we'll complain about it anyways.

I understand your point, but wow. No, CN doesn't. Thanks to CN (as well as Anime Underground on Tech TV) we are given a rather decent variety of anime series. Quite good ones at that and they continue to provide us with more series as well. Before that you know what it was? Sailor Moon! CUT! Of course I remember DB was aired, probably chopped up horribly and yes, we all know that FUNimation decided to edit things so badly, though they learned their lesson (as is shown with FMA). So if you ask me, I don't really see that much of a problem. Though, one could also use the phrase "If you don't like it, then don't watch it" because it seems that millions of viewers greatly disagree with you. I have to say that if it wasn't for Toonami and my friends telling me about anime, I would of never gotten into it.

I'm not saying that its stupid, everyone has their own opinion, but if you want subs, buy the DVD's. People find it irritating at times to read subtitles. Since you know, its being aired in the U.S. and what language is spoken here, English. So it would make sense to run something in English instead of putting it in subs, which would probably drive out a good majority of the viewers because their just as picky as some people are about dubs. I think its fine, but personally I don't care either or. I'm able to view an anime series, thats all I really care about.

If it really bothers you that much, write in to Adult Swim and let them know that their ruining the anime community by airing dubs. I think it would be rather interesting to have a network that actually airs the anime completely uncut (for example, Blue Gender) and in the option form, but I don't see something like that happening anytime soon. I still think that if you do want subs, just buy DVD's then. I'm not saying its a bad idea, I've pondered the thought many times myself and I think it would be rather nice, but I personally think the dubs are actually rather decent, some quite good.

I agree 100% with Distortion. Shows like Zatch Bell and Duel Masters and soon to be (or so I would assume), Naruto (or should I say Nathan?) those shows are a good example of what can ruin an anime series. ADV, Bandai and Geneon have improved so greatly from when they first started (you want bad voices, check out Lost Universe or any really old dub from ADV, some of them just make your ears cringe) that honestly I can say that I enjoy listening to the English voices and for some anime series, I prefer the dub over the original. Its all about personal preferrance. Granted, I think the majority of the time sub is the way to go, but this is over a huge population and the majority probably weren't that exposed to anime other than what was shown on Toonami and DBZ. I can say that some of the voices are...well.. yeah, but ruins? I wouldn't go to that extreme. The companies that are chopping up anime series are 4kids entertainment, FUNimation use to do it, but they learned that lesson fast and I believe there are a few others, (Fox-kids, anyone remember Escaflowne when they aired a few episodes of that? Chopped up, though it still rocked).

Of course, this is my personal opinion, by all means, if you disagree, feel free to. I'm not saying that Krnboijel's topic isn't called for, more of stating my feelings on the topic in itself. I suppose everyone knows as well that Cartoon Network is only airing the anime, they aren't chopping it, if you want to blame something, blame the company that liscensed the anime. I just think that its kinda funny considering that the only complaint is that the series are dubbed and that they don't air them subtitled, though it is a personal opinion and I know for a fact that there are quite a few people that would/do agree. I still can't help to wonder though how that ruins anime because what I see is CN introducing the people to a variety of anime, which is great because before the only thing that was ever really related to anime was DBZ (of course we are talking before the Adult Swim days) and of course we can't forget Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

Quote by AngelKate
If you want bad dubs the WB had CCS for a while and they did a horrid job with it. They changed all the names and edited out like half of the episodes. Ugh...terrible... smiley

Nelvana decided to stick its hands into the anime pool and they went head on with this anime. Though I will admit, I saw this series when Toonami was airing it and I got into CCS because of it, though it truly is just horrible. I believe they decided to adapt the series to more of an..American audience, or at least thats all I really can conclude and it has been edited so much and the episodes are so random they just jump all over the place and nothing makes sense.

If you do want to see CCS untouched, in all of its perfection, buy the Geneon (Pioneer) DVD's. Just thought I'd let ya know incase you didn't :).

Signature Image

miraku-spike

miraku-spike

~Rurouni Kenshin~

Yeah! Cartoon Network makes Anime have a bad name. I hate when people do that! :angry:

Signature Image

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

Well they should air it on like Adult Swim. There's a lot of racy stuff on that so I figure it could work out.

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

That is why I only watch anime that is just subbed. i can't understand japanese, or else I would be watching the original. The translation always mess the stuff up, and their voice acting is very very bad. Have anyone see Gundam Seed in English? I really really want to kill whoever is doing Lucas' voice. It is sooo annoying.

Signature

for some reason though... i'm fine with dbz/dbgt dubs.. probably because that's one of the first animes i saw.. and it was on cartoon network. I got used to their speaking styles and voices.. and thought it sounded a little odd in japanese. Thats just about the only anime that i prefer dubs over subs.

kauriswings

kauriswings

skrzydla jej serce

you are very strong headed, If cartoon network always did that like you said wouldn't Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle be on it? after all in japan it's been released since april, And some kids don't like to read while watching tv which is a pastime that is to be enjoyed, not another school related activity!

I'll never forget the day you told me you loved me,
i will always try to forget the day that you said you didn't love me...

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 44 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.