Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 DRM (Digital Rights Management) thoughts? - Minitokyo

DRM (Digital Rights Management) thoughts?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 42 total items

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by kawaiiguyWith all the discussion of P2P , lawsuits, and downloading, I started thinking about the topic of DRM. I did some searching and didn't find any other threads on the subject, so hopefully this is the first!
If a company releases something digitally (a song, movie, audiobook, etc) to consumers, they may want limit who has access to that media. After all, they only want paying customers to access their resources. This is where DRM comes in. DRM helps by restricting access to content to those who are authorized to use it. It comes in many forms, from the basic cable TV and satellite decoders to more complex WMA and M4A music formats.
DRM does good things for commerce in that it helps facilitate transactions between customers and producers. It's also a stepping stone between having everyone purchase physical media (CDs, DVDs, print) and everyone downloading their content.
As with all systems, however, there are some "flaws." Many people report that DRM is too restrictive. People aren't able to do what they want with what they buy. In the old days, cassette tapes were analog. Copying one would automatically mean a degradation in quality. With digital media, making a copy means having a reproduction that is just as good as the original. DRM makes it harder for people to do this.
What are people's thoughts on this topic? Should DRM be more flexible for the end-user? Are people stuck in an older mindset where they could do practically anything without "repercussion"? Discuss!

I was thinking of all the complications associated with hardware-managed DRM. ...Not only are we vunlunteeering to give up all kinds of rights, but we are also going to be subject to buying new DRM hardware as the old stuff is hacked/worked around/obsoleted. [b] This means you might have to buy new CPUs more frequently, and could serve to really mess with the computer market, in favor of big business!!! (I'm a little irritated now that I've realized this.)[/b]

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by Archer79I was thinking of all the complications associated with hardware-managed DRM. ...Not only are we vunlunteeering to give up all kinds of rights, but we are also going to be subject to buying new DRM hardware as the old stuff is hacked/worked around/obsoleted. [b]
This means you might have to buy new CPUs more frequently, and could serve to really mess with the computer market, in favor of big business!!! (I'm a little irritated now that I've realized this.)

I'm sure there'll be some backwards compatibility with new standards... After all, first generation CD players still play the new copy-protected CDs, old DVD players still play today's CSS protected disks. Unless you really have an obscure piece of hardware/software, I don't imagine it will be a huge problem.[/b]

Then again, this is what's stopping the adoption of hdtv...

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by Archer79I was thinking of all the complications associated with hardware-managed DRM. ...Not only are we vunlunteeering to give up all kinds of rights, but we are also going to be subject to buying new DRM hardware as the old stuff is hacked/worked around/obsoleted.
This means you might have to buy new CPUs more frequently, and could serve to really mess with the computer market, in favor of big business!!! (I'm a little irritated now that I've realized this.)

I'm sure there'll be some backwards compatibility with new standards... After all, first generation CD players still play the new copy-protected CDs, old DVD players still play today's CSS protected disks. Unless you really have an obscure piece of hardware/software, I don't imagine it will be a huge problem.
Then again, this is what's stopping the adoption of hdtv...

Backwards compatability isn't the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a forwards compatability problem.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by Archer79
Backwards compatability isn't the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a forwards compatability problem.

I guess the way I described it is forwards compatibility: an old piece of hardware being able to work with new standards. Unless a major change in technology occurs, I don't think we'll need to worry too much about it... After all, the companies want the technology to take off, right? Again, the HDTV example applies here.

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by kawaiiguy

Quote by Archer79

I guess the way I described it is forwards compatibility: an old piece of hardware being able to work with new standards. Unless a major change in technology occurs, I don't think we'll need to worry too much about it... After all, the companies want the technology to take off, right? Again, the HDTV example applies here.

Right, but considering how encryption works.... ...They won't be able to have any sort of *future* encryption technology on a "obsolete" piece of hardware.... ...There's no possible way. Which, in a nutshell.. ...Is my most recent realization. ...Older equipment simply won't be able to access new technology as the technology changes. ...And as this technology is directly integrated into the Central Processing Unit, this may become a very expensive venture for the consumer.

I still doubt that the music-, film- or softwareindustry will make lots of more money if there's a perfect copy-protection method. I mean, most of those people getting their media from illegal sources wouldn't have bought it anyway. If I ask around (in my circle of friends) if they would have bought the originals of the CDs they ripped in case that there is no way to copy them, they hardly ever say yes. I don't think they are lying because I know most of them quite well.

The industry still gets lots of their money. They go to a concert or cinema multiple times a year and they are still buying music-CDs and film-DVDs, too.

I think that, if they were forced to buy every CD/DVD/software they want to listen to/watch/use, the media industry wouldn't make any more money. Everyone has a limited budget. If you spend your money for a music-CD/-download you will have to save it somewhere else (concerts, cinema tickets etc.).

At last the media industry will have to invest more money into DRM than they will actually earn by protecting their goods with it.

Quote by kawaiiguyI think the argument against BitTorrent is the exact opposite argument of the Betamax case. Currently, there are more illegal uses for BT than thare are legal uses. With Betamax, there were "more" legal uses than illegal uses.

More illegal uses? I just see 2 uses for Bittorrent:
1. downloading and seeding lawful stuff
2. downloading and seeding illegal stuff

Bittorrent is just a tool, sueing it's creators is like sueing a company that produces knives or baseball bats because you "can" use it to hurt or kill someone. Why not sueing Dell or Apple? They are producing computers, todays main tool for copyright infridgement!!

No one forces you to download illegal stuff with bittorrent.

Ok, advertising a p2p-progrann by pointing out that you can easily get illegal stuff with it is another story. Bram Cohen, the creator of bittorrent, never did that.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by FabianI still doubt that the music-, film- or softwareindustry will make lots of more money if there's a perfect copy-protection method.

Well... ...I will immediately suggest that there is no such thing as a 'perfect copy-protection method'.

They may make it harder to rip, but hackers and crackers will gut the electronics to get at the goodies if need be. ...And if that doesn't work, they'll find something else. ....That's almost the same as saying something is "unhackable".

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

No matter what form of protection exists, there will always be those who break it. I salute them.

As for Intel's little trusted computing experiment, you can disable it in bios. It's no big deal.

Signature

The idea of systems which are designed to make your computer systematically disobey you just make my skin crawl. I want a computer, not a corporate-controlled content-delivery mechanism. The idea of a future in which having a real computer locks you out of the rest of the computer-driven world is pretty scary. Never before has such a powerful, subtle weapon of control existed.

What may ultimately be at stake in the fight against DRM is nothing less than the freedom of every single one of us.

Minebann is absolutely right. DRM is ultimately just another way for big companies to try and control our lives. I for one, will not buy or use ANY product which features a form of DRM that has not been thouroughly hacked up and destroyed. Our rights as real people should inherently carry more weight that those of giant companies and I will not drop my rights. If that ultimately means falling behing in the tech race to those who are willing to be led by the corporate wolves like sheep to the slaughter, then so be it. That's one race that I have no desire to win.

ThePanda

ThePanda

Muffin Bucket

Quote by minebannThe idea of systems which are designed to make your computer systematically disobey you just make my skin crawl. I want a computer, not a corporate-controlled content-delivery mechanism. The idea of a future in which having a real computer locks you out of the rest of the computer-driven world is pretty scary. Never before has such a powerful, subtle weapon of control existed.

What may ultimately be at stake in the fight against DRM is nothing less than the freedom of every single one of us.

Agreed. I felt the same way about the broadcast flag, which required all hardware manufacturers to produce flag-enabled devices by LAW. The good news is that the flag was shot down. One more point for the good guys.

Signature

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

I prefer to play Devil's advocate on this subject ;)

Quote by minebannThe idea of systems which are designed to make your computer systematically disobey you just make my skin crawl. I want a computer, not a corporate-controlled content-delivery mechanism. The idea of a future in which having a real computer locks you out of the rest of the computer-driven world is pretty scary. Never before has such a powerful, subtle weapon of control existed. What may ultimately be at stake in the fight against DRM is nothing less than the freedom of every single one of us.

You're both right. DRMs are controlling and infringe on our freedom. DRMs infringe on our freedom to steal, alter, and pass along someone else's property.

Say you let your friend borrow a CD. Your friend can then copy the CD for himself at little cost to him. He can now enjoy the CD to it's fullest and in turn, share it with other people. This, by the definitions of the disk's terms of service, is not allowed. You purchased the lisence to use that CD and not your friend. However, your friend now has an exact copy of what you purchased. Sound wrong?

If not, let's replace CD with... oh... thesis paper. You write a thesis (say for your Masters or Ph.D) and you let your friend read it. He then makes a copy (lets say it's an electronic document, for ease). Without your knowledge or consent, he can now do whatever he wants with it. He can leave it alone, give it to someone else, publish it, etc. He doesn't have to give you an ounce of credit as long as you don't complain. But you spent 4 years doing the research to write that paper. You have every right to complain. Don't you wish there were a way to keep your friend from getting away with it? Of course there are. Plagerism is a very bad thing.

We live with plenty of government imposed restrictions. We've come to pass them off as every day life. There are laws that prohibit speeding (widely ignored), junk phone calls (easily circumventable with proper loopholes), and even legislation about spam (mostly useless). By saying that DRM infringes on our rights, you're saying that all laws infringe on our rights. In that argument, you would be completely correct. Contrary to what most people believe, we aren't allowed to do anything that we want. If we were, this would be a very scary world (and lazy, I might add). Freedom of Speech is actually limited and doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. DRMs are just another thing we'll all have to grow accustomed to living with, because both sides can't be right.

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguyYou're both right. DRMs are controlling and infringe on our freedom. DRMs infringe on our freedom to steal, alter, and pass along someone else's property.

DRM is nothing to do with property or theft. That's propaganda language you're using there,neither of those concepts really apply to information. You could conceivably steal information if you were an accomplished cracker and your victim didn't have any backups, but that's just plain old security.

Quote: Say you let your friend borrow a CD. Your friend can then copy the CD for himself at little cost to him. He can now enjoy the CD to it's fullest and in turn, share it with other people. This, by the definitions of the disk's terms of service, is not allowed. You purchased the lisence to use that CD and not your friend.

I don't know where you get these ideas. When you buy a CD, there aren't any "terms of service", and there isn't any "license". You buy a shiny piece of metal with some music on it. If you were buying a license, there would be some sort of license involved in the purchasing process. If there were terms of service, you'd agree to some terms of service in the purchasing process. (And bribing congressmen to get something written into law doesn't make it true.) The reason you're not allowed to make copies of the CD is because of copyright, which states that someone else has a legally enforced monopoly on copying it.

Quote: However, your friend now has an exact copy of what you purchased. Sound wrong?

No. It does involve an act made illegal by government, but since nobody has been hurt, it's not wrong. (And before you go into "but what if everyone was copying CDs all the time" mode, try to think about why it's not wrong to sell people kitchen knives, despite the fact that fewer stabbings would occur if they weren't sold).

Quote: If not, let's replace CD with... oh... thesis paper. You write a thesis (say for your Masters or Ph.D) and you let your friend read it. He then makes a copy (lets say it's an electronic document, for ease). Without your knowledge or consent, he can now do whatever he wants with it. He can leave it alone, give it to someone else, publish it, etc. He doesn't have to give you an ounce of credit as long as you don't complain. But you spent 4 years doing the research to write that paper. You have every right to complain. Don't you wish there were a way to keep your friend from getting away with it? Of course there are. Plagerism is a very bad thing.

Funnily enough, I'm actually finishing off my thesis for my DPhil right at the moment. And yes, plagiarism is the one thing in this whole area that has been frowned upon since antiquity, precisely because it is a purely selfish act, proper accreditation hurts nobody.

But how exactly does DRM stop people from making claims about things?

One thing I can tell you, when I finally get around to buiding a website, (assuming it ever happens), one thing that anyone will be able to download from it will be my thesis.

Quote: We live with plenty of government imposed restrictions. We've come to pass them off as every day life. There are laws that prohibit speeding (widely ignored), junk phone calls (easily circumventable with proper loopholes), and even legislation about spam (mostly useless). By saying that DRM infringes on our rights, you're saying that all laws infringe on our rights. In that argument, you would be completely correct. Contrary to what most people believe, we aren't allowed to do anything that we want. If we were, this would be a very scary world (and lazy, I might add). Freedom of Speech is actually limited and doesn't mean you can say whatever you want. DRMs are just another thing we'll all have to grow accustomed to living with, because both sides can't be right.

If you replace DRM with, say, totalitarianism, that argument justifies it in exactly the same way. Funny, isn't it?

Crime-prevention is the work of the police and not the work of some greedy corporations. I would rather let a democratic elected government set and enforce the rules than letting companys do this themselves because a government has to take the responsibility for what happens to it's citizens. On the other hand the only thing corporations care about is their bank account's balance.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

Quote by minebannDRM is nothing to do with property or theft. That's propaganda language you're using there,neither of those concepts really apply to information. You could conceivably steal information if you were an accomplished cracker and your victim didn't have any backups, but that's just plain old security.

I believe that DRMs exist to protect someone's property and help "enforce" the ways it is meant to be used. I think of DRM as sort of like a lock on a house. Without the right key or access priveledges, you're not allowed to enter it. But then again, most people aren't likely to be able to copy houses...

Quote by minebannWhen you buy a CD, there aren't any "terms of service", and there isn't any "license". You buy a shiny piece of metal with some music on it. If you were buying a license, there would be some sort of license involved in the purchasing process. If there were terms of service, you'd agree to some terms of service in the purchasing process.

There is an implicit terms of service you agree to when you break open the wrapper of a CD. Granted, the warning is usually on the inside of the label... It does give you the "terms of use," as defined by copyright law. Isn't that what a ToS is? Like with a lot of (older) software, you agree to the ToS by opening the package. If you did not agree, you were allowed to take the software back and get a refund. As for the actual content, when you buy a CD, you don't actually own the stuff on it. True, you own the shiny object, but you can't lay claim to what's on it. That still belongs to the artist/record label/monkey on typewriter.

Quote by minebannNo. It does involve an act made illegal by government, but since nobody has been hurt, it's not wrong.

That's a dangerous argument to make... So I drive wrecklessly down a busy street, but as long as I don't hurt anybody or break anything, I'm not wrong! Sweet :D While I agree that sometimes "legal" doesn't always seem "wrong," there usually is some correlation. Someone thinks it's wrong. Usually if enough people (usually rich and/or powerful people) think it's "wrong," then it has a good chance at becoming illegal. Chalk it up to some of many laws that the general public don't agree to, like the speed limit.

Quote by minebannBut how exactly does DRM stop people from making claims about things?

It doesn't. It was simply an example (the only one I could think of off the top of my head at the time). A "good" DRM will stop the "average" user from making "illegal" copies and redistributing things. There are very few protection schemes out there that haven't been cracked. I can only think of one, but the name escapes me at the moment. Something to do with needing a specific driver to play DVDs or something...

Quote by minebannIf you replace DRM with, say, totalitarianism, that argument justifies it in exactly the same way. Funny, isn't it?

Now we're getting somewhere! The government may claim we're a democracy or republic or whatever, but when it boils down to it, we have all the rights in the world... as long as the politicians agree to it. Usually it takes them quite awhile to come to an agreement and bicker a lot.

Quote by FabianCrime-prevention is the work of the police and not the work of some greedy corporations. I would rather let a democratic elected government set and enforce the rules than letting companys do this themselves because a government has to take the responsibility for what happens to it's citizens. On the other hand the only thing corporations care about is their bank account's balance.

First, see above note about democracy ;) Second, if you have so much faith in crime prevention, then take all the locks you own (car, house, computer, etc.) and throw them out. If the system worked perfectly, you wouldn't need them. After all, you don't really care if something gets stolen, right? You're not worried about your bank balance.

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguyI believe that DRMs exist to protect someone's property

What property?

Quote: There is an implicit terms of service you agree to when you break open the wrapper of a CD.

By reading this sentence, you agree that I am right and that you're being stupid.

Nice world, isn't it. Making use of something you've brought isn't quite the same thing as signing a contract. I am perfectly entitled to open my own CD without agreeing to any agreement. Why are you so eager to see us enslaved to the processes of corporation anyway?

Quote: True, you own the shiny object, but you can't lay claim to what's on it. That still belongs to the artist/record label/monkey on typewriter.

If you're referring to the information on it, that's actually, you know, information. Information isn't owned by anybody. It merely has the occasional enforced monopoly on its copying.

Quote: That's a dangerous argument to make... So I drive wrecklessly down a busy street, but as long as I don't hurt anybody or break anything, I'm not wrong!

It's something which doesn't hurt people probabilistically either. Better?

Quote: Now we're getting somewhere! The government may claim we're a democracy or republic or whatever, but when it boils down to it, we have all the rights in the world... as long as the politicians agree to it. Usually it takes them quite awhile to come to an agreement and bicker a lot.

And one of the reasons for that is fatalism. Suddenly talking about how what we want is irrelevant anyway isn't a very gracious way to concede defeat on a discussion about principles.

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

...and the debate continues ^^ Let me make my position clear on this: I don't like all this copy protection stuff either. But then again, I don't rampantly pirate things and always try to seek out legitimate versions. I prefer to pay for things where I can, so that credit goes where it's due. The key word in those sentances are "try" and "prefer." Anyway, back to the topic on hand... The "wrong" position is always hard to defend, and I'm trying my best here. You should give this a shot, it's pretty fun ;)

I'm also conceding on several points, mainly because I'm running out of ideas on how to ruffle your feathers and because it's early in the morning >_<

Quote by minebannIf you're referring to the information on it, that's actually, you know, information. Information isn't owned by anybody. It merely has the occasional enforced monopoly on its copying.

LIke it or not, there is such thing as intellectual property. While there isn't any physical manifestation, it is recognized as something that can be owned by a particular party. For example, when you take a job at a company, you will usually sign an NDA. It is an explicit contract where you agree not to disclose company information that is considered proprietary, trade secrets, or patentable. Essentially, the company you work for owns your brain. You also forfeit any claim to the "data" or "ideas" you come up with to the company, which in turn can make a profit on.

So say you quit your job and go to another company. You're still bound by the old NDA and aren't allowed to use some of your experiences at the new company. To me, that sounds really counterintuitive, but hey, it happens. Recently, Microsoft sued Google over this.

Quote by minebannWhy are you so eager to see us enslaved to the processes of corporation anyway?

See above statement about "devil's advocate." ;)

Quote by minebannIt's something which doesn't hurt people probabilistically either. Better?

Hmm... how about packet sniffing? As long as you don't have any malicious intent, that doesn't hurt anyone either. Unfortunately, people like to consider that "invasion of privacy" and that's illegal somewhere too. To a lesser extent, take the cases of the people connecting to unsecured wireless networks (they don't own). Apparently that's also illegal now too. I wouldn't say they caused any harm to the people they were sharing the connection with.

Quote by minebannSuddenly talking about how what we want is irrelevant anyway isn't a very gracious way to concede defeat on a discussion about principles.

No, it's not, but it's the sad truth, ne? While I mostly agree with what you've said, I think it's important to explore the alternate view. I'd love to have free reign of what I buy, but I'm willing to accept what the industry gives me.

Principles are hard to argue because everyone thinks they're right. It's our ideas versus the ideas of the opposing party's. I must note that you were the one to bring up totalitarianism, where I agreed with you ;)

Signature Image

Quote by kawaiiguyThe "wrong" position is always hard to defend, and I'm trying my best here. You should give this a shot, it's pretty fun ;)

Actually, the nature of that exercise rather depends on what the opposing viewpoint exists because of. In this case for example, the opposing viewpoint is basically propaganda for the purposes of enriching its proponents, so arguing it is an exercise in controlling people by misleading them, which isn't something I'm terribly interested in. (I only control people with the truth!)

Whereas if you look at something like the anti-abortionists, that's basically a problem of adaption to a world in which humans are not evolved to live in. That side takes the ancient anti-killing-of-humans impulse into areas it was never "designed" to operate in, without considering why this impulse exists and whether it is still serving its purposes. Because it feels like a natural thing to do, if we still lived in the sort of environment evolution has "prepared" us for, it would be the right policy. So arguing that would basically be a role-play, but I get plenty of that sort of thing in RPGs. (Not the sort of thing that the RPG group here is interested in).

And then when you get into something where the end effects are simply too complex to be predicted with accuracy, (like smacking of children, or capitalism-socialism, for example), then arguing the other side is highly interesting, because you know, they might actually be right. In that case I wouldn't describe the opposing side as 'wrong' though, rather I'd say they were 'challenging my theory'.

Quote: Like it or not, there is such thing as intellectual property.

Like I said, bribing politicians to write it into laws doesn't make it true. The notion of 'property' was invented to deal with the sticky problem that many things, like a foodstuff for example, can't be effectively used by the whole community (sharing food is splitting it into lots of little things), so you need a system to decide who gets to use them. Consciously applying the term to anything, such as ideas, which doesn't have this restriction which is the whole point of the word's existence, is almost inevitably an attempt at deception.

Quote: Hmm... how about packet sniffing? As long as you don't have any malicious intent, that doesn't hurt anyone either. Unfortunately, people like to consider that "invasion of privacy" and that's illegal somewhere too. To a lesser extent, take the cases of the people connecting to unsecured wireless networks (they don't own). Apparently that's also illegal now too. I wouldn't say they caused any harm to the people they were sharing the connection with.

Well, those two are rather tricky issues, because it's often difficult to figure out whether they are hurting people or not. (Remember though that almost everyone has some sort of bandwidth cap.) But I think they're wandering a bit off-topic.

Quote: While I mostly agree with what you've said, I think it's important to explore the alternate view. I'd love to have free reign of what I buy, but I'm willing to accept what the industry gives me.

It's only important to explore the alternative view if the people putting it forward actually believe it. Which generally isn't the case when it comes from the mouths of corporations, seeing as they have one purpose and one purpose only and that is to make profits. The alternative here is only a "point of view" as far as people have been deceived by the propagandists. This angle isn't the result of anyone thinking its true, it's the result of the belief in it being profitable to certain organisations.

Quote: Principles are hard to argue because everyone thinks they're right. It's our ideas versus the ideas of the opposing party's.

If the people are sufficiently skilled at discussion and communication, a discussion of principles won't be so much a clash of opinions as an exploration of differences. If you can trace everything back to first principles, you can find out whether someone really has made a mistake, or whether there is a disagreement at the axiomatic level and the viewpoints are irreconcilable. That is a successful discussion of principles. (Doesn't happen very often though.)

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 42 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.