Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is knowledge possible without language? - Minitokyo

Is knowledge possible without language?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 45 total items

Sakura0chan

Sakura0chan

Nihongo o naraitai

Thanks for the replies. -^__^- I really appreciate it. :D

How about the others, what do you think? XD

CyberDragoon

The Prince of Nothing

I think it is possible. I mean if you see two red apples you know that they are both the smae color even though you don't know that the color red exists. I suppose it can be extended in this fashion.

angelrhea

angelrhea

<"Little Hime">

yeah it is definitely possible. even without language you can still gain insights and knowledge just by mere observation and feeling every single things around you. feeling each of these things will help you out on gaining such.

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Of course it is.

That's what our other senses are for.

Observation and experience are still the best teachers.

Signature

Beccieboo

H e l l o . . .

i think you can obtain knowledge many other ways than reading - like watching or doing. there is more thn 1 way to learn

I'm still here. . . all thats left of yesterday. . .

Yeah they are right, we can learn or gain knowledge through observaton and experiences but we can gain more knowledge if we communicate with others with the use of our language.

LucyXlostangelwings

LucyXlostangelwings

Tomorrow's Way~

I believe that communication is a key factor in our daily lives. We learn many new things each day through socializing and talking with others. In others words, knowledge is obtained through communication. But there are many different ways to communicate, i.e. sigh language, facial expressions, gestures...etc etc. But I guess the main form is speech and language. Without language, it would become hard for knowledge to spread, like you said Sakura0chan. Books can not exist because no one would understand them, socializing would be a difficult task. But I do not believe it's impossible for people to still learn. Observation would definitely work. Think about this, when we are born, we are not able to speak nor understand speech but we still learn. How? By watching those around us, their actions and behaviours. With that in mind, I think that all humans are the same in some way or another in the sense of our physical as well as emotional features therefore, obtaining knowledge without language may not be as hard as we think. ;)

Sakura0chan

Sakura0chan

Nihongo o naraitai

Thank you so much for all of the replies. You really helped me a lot in doing my assignment. ^^

Yes, Knowledge can be gain without language. It is also be able to pass it on without any language. They can always be like the caveman from the ancient time using picture to express it.

ultimashower

ultimashower

Reppin' The Nice Guys

Isn't that instinct? A genetic library of sorts. Then there's demonstration, illustration, gesturing, etc.

HTML Coding Hates Me...

i think knowledge is not possible without language. yes, we can think without using language. but how can we think if we don't know about concepts. concepts are formed because of language.

"we cannot form concepts without language. we cannot think if we have no concept. if we cannot think, we cannot have knowledge. thus, knowlege is impossible without language."

...even animals have their own language.

look at the trees.they have no language.. that's why they have no knowledge.

Trees don't have a mind in the first place. Knowledge is possible without language. The thing thats not possible is how to effectively spread one's discoveries. The world would just be ignorant and confused is all.

Whats up?

This question refers to knowledge as if it were language itself. Therefore, we can assume that it means to say that all knowledge is in the form of language. In a sense, this is a half truth. It's false in the fact that zaea already pointed out that dancing can be a form of communication, which is technically not "language." However, for humans, communication since birth as been through the use of language or sound in its true state.

Looking at the possibilities, if some experiment were to be held where humans are allowed to grow from an infant stage without language, they may use gestures, or other sorts of body expression. The problem with that is that they will eventually realize that they are capable of making noise with their vocal organs. Thus, they may switch using this new "language." This of course is only speculation.

My point being, humans, while able to communicate without using language, prefer to use language. So to answer your question, yes, knowledge does not need language. But it is highly unlikely that humans will you any forms of communication other than language, (with the expection of the disabled). Hell, look around you, the hundreds of languages that surround and exist in this world. Humans prefer, want, and live in language. Humans don't learn sign language if they can hear and talk instead. It's just easier............

Just to let you know, writing is not needed to pass along knowledge, but it sure does help......

Life is a curse, but you can make it a blissing........

Knowledge would be limited without language, but would still be possible. For example, you would understand that such a thing as "fire" exists, but you don't necessarily have a word for it.

Eventually, language would follow after knowledge. The need to classify the knowledge would become imminent and a new "word" would be formed for that specific purpose. And language is simply an accumulation of these words.

That's what I think anyways.

Like I said, Knowledge needs no language. All this talk and most of you get back at the same point....

Whats up?

well to me, language is a form of communication between those who understands the language where as knowledge is the intepretation and understanding of the functions of what is around us such as psychology, physics etc. so in a sense an individual is capable of interpretting and understanding lets say what causes fire or that if he drops something itll fall and even simple maths such as adding, but without language or a form of communication between this knowledgeable man and another person this knowledge cannot be passed along and this will limit the progression of knowledge and inevitably the progression of humans as humans when they are born do not have to relearn everything because there are those who already have figured out the secrets of things and all we need to do then is learn from that and build up from it, that how we've gotten so far. so in a way knowledge is possible without language but the progression of knowledge will become limited. well thats what i think anyways

Yes, more than often^^!

Digi-Charat-Princess

Digi-Charat-Princess

Im your DiGi princess!!

They could show what they have learned by showing the person or explaining with their hands but wouldnt that be like sign language in a way?

Signature Image

The answer to this is entirely dependent on a strict definition of language. You might be interested in Noam Chomsky's work in linguistics (not his political commentary) for more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky#Contributions_to_linguistics is a good starting point. Like most college classes, your philosophy course is really just working on your critical thinking skills; if you can produce a reasonable argument in either direction, then you've thought about the subject enough to "pass", so to speak. Simply justify whatever position you choose.

Well if you took to cavemen and and had them have a mammoth hunting contest: the first one gets ran over and dies. The second uses a spear to kill it and has mammoth that night. The second is certainly smarter than the second. Just test them the same way you would lab rats.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

Yes It makes sense you would need the two.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 45 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.