Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japanese-Style Rooms - Minitokyo

Japanese-Style Rooms

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but anyway...

Here's the deal. I'm gonna get a new room soon, and the folks allowed me to design it anyway I want. So, I wanted to have it Japanese-style. Not the modern ones, but the Japanese-style rooms of yore. Y'know, back in the early Meiji era, or something like that. I can't really explain it well.

So, I was looking for suggestions or ideas from you guys who might have some knowledge on this. I'm not looking for anything too expensive, so budget-easy tips would be nice too. Thanks a lot in advance.

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

hope you don't like the internet, they didn't have computers in Meiji era.

I am invincible!

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Of course they don't, but that doesn't exactly mean that I can't have one! XD Seriously though, work with me here. Just because there's a computer doesn't mean that it'll ruin the overall scheme of the room.

outofphase

outofphase

Xenophile

If you can find a CostPlus near you, i think some of them sell tatami mats. A good set of tatami mats is key to a traditional room, ne? Be sure to have a futon too, of course. I think those are the two biggest things. Little details will smooth it out, but those can come later.

Signature
www.outofphase.tk -Online Manga, Sketchbook Gallery, and how to Draw Tutorials

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Yeah, tatami mats are key! :D It'll seriously set the room's mood, so thanks for that, outofphase!

How about walls, though? A friend of mine told me to go watch Saber Marionette J or J-X and see how Otaru Mamiya's room was designed. Think that's a good idea? Never saw that show in the fist place...

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

I decided that if I were to actually type everything I want to say in describing a japanese home/room and all the necessary tradition that make it what it is, I would be at it for the rest of the afternoon. So instead, I'll just provide you with a nice little link here that I believe gives a good description of what a typical Japanese home consists of, in a desciption that is a combination of both tradition and modernity.

http://www.japancorner.com/japanese_home.asp

I hope you find it very helpful. From my own home in Japan as well as those of my friends, I find that this site provides some good information to help you get started. :)

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Itami-Chan

Itami-Chan

Mrs.Kakashi..and sn34k3rs master

oooo i wish i had a japanese style room!!lucki u! XD

sig and avvy made by k1ru! ^.^

outofphase

outofphase

Xenophile

Quote by NarumakiYeah, tatami mats are key! :D It'll seriously set the room's mood, so thanks for that, outofphase!
How about walls, though? A friend of mine told me to go watch Saber Marionette J or J-X and see how Otaru Mamiya's room was designed. Think that's a good idea? Never saw that show in the fist place...

For your walls, i would just paint them in earth tones. When i stayed at a Ryokan the walls were about the same color as the tatami mats, so kind of a tan color, but i think any shade of dull brown would look good. It would be cheap, and look nice. I mean, if you really felt like it you could install 'hardwood walls' (try explaining that to the hardwood floor installers when they arrive) but that would cost a heck of a lot more, and wouldn't look THAT much better.

Signature
www.outofphase.tk -Online Manga, Sketchbook Gallery, and how to Draw Tutorials

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Thanks for the link, EternalParadox, that can help in what i want to put inside the room. :D

Outofphase, with regards to the walls, I think they'd be plain white now, since I don't really have much choice in that color. ^^;; Still, tatami mats would probably still look nice, as long as the plain-white walls have some kind of accent that wouldn't be so contrasting to the brown, tatami-mat floor...something that'd still look traditional Japanese.

http://mathmuse.sci.ibaraki.ac.jp/pattrn/PatternE.html
I don't think the patterns here would look so cost-friendly, but it'd probably look nice. XD

dont forget the wind chimes

I WANT LULU'S HAREM

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

a low wooden table would be nice. Also, though impossible, it's nice to have shoji (rice paper screens)... maybe ikebana would be a nice touch... in a corner or something... a few scrolls on the wall perhaps... ^-^

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

cooooool...i'd paint some sakura petals on the shoji too ^^ and maybe a small vase of bamboo or something.

hope you don't like the internet, they didn't have computers in Meiji era.

Hahaha. True.

I can't help you there, but send me photo's after your done with it. =) I'm intrested to see what it looks like.

Narumaki

Sleepy...

Quote by dizzycafe
I can't help you there, but send me photo's after your done with it. =) I'm intrested to see what it looks like.

I'll be sure I will, once it gets completed...that is, if I do get the whole theme done. ^^;;

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.