Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Makin' Screencaps - Minitokyo

Makin' Screencaps

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Does any1 know how to make screencaps from a DVD? I want 2 make my own screencaps 4 my website, but I don't know how. Please help!

Signature Image

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

use PowerDVD, it comes with your DVD drive software on your computer

press C to capture frame then just paste in any image editing program, be it Paint or photoshop or soemthing

Signature Image

If you have windows media player (the newest version (10)), you can take captures by doing ctrl+i and then it will show a "pop-up" thingy where you can save the capture.

Signature
featuring Primera from Magic Knight Rayearth

Quote by speedfreek19use PowerDVD, it comes with your DVD drive software on your computer

press C to capture frame then just paste in any image editing program, be it Paint or photoshop or soemthing

Yes! PowerDVD is probably the most easiest to use

Before you start capturing you must change the default snapshot settings
to capture to file. Either use the programs default path or specify your own
path. All pics must be in the .bmp format.

Signature

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

.bmp? jpeg would be better wouldnt it :P

Signature Image

Quote by speedfreek19.bmp? jpeg would be better wouldnt it :P

Yes but somehow PowerDVD can not take .jpg snapshots.

Too bad most programs. can't take. .jp2 formats.

Signature

powerdvd works
anyone know if you can run a dvd on virtualdub mod?

wallkeeper

wallkeeper

The avatar of hate

powerdvd works but if you find one that is mac compatible. tell me!

Well, you can try this but it may or may not work with DVD (due to decoder).

1. Get the view you want (50%/100%/200%/etc.)
2. Press the PrtScr key on your keyboard
3. Open Paint/MSPaint
4. Paste.

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by volrath77Well, you can try this but it may or may not work with DVD (due to decoder).

1. Get the view you want (50%/100%/200%/etc.)
2. Press the PrtScr key on your keyboard
3. Open Paint/MSPaint
4. Paste.

Nope. DVD software runs on Overlays... Printscreen won't work by itself. You'll get something else in the window or full screen that says that it's not supported or some other bogus garbage like that.
The one that allowed 3DFX screen caps would work... started of with DX somthing... But I'm not sure if it's around anymore.

For the Mac, there is a solution. Maybe I'll post the package I got from a friend that enables the screen capturing with Mac's DVD player...
But you should also try VLC, A freeware player, supioror to Media player of Microsoft and Quicktime. and runs on all OS's, (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Sun, Unix, etc). For picture stills this is adequet... but for animated images...

Personally, I prefer to use WinDVD (version 6 now). And I prefer to save them in BMP because the JPG format that is saved is lower quality than what I like to post on my site.
http://www.sillymoogle.net/layout1.htm
Kiku #8 of Wandaba Style is dancing from a series of pics I put together. But This is an experimental page.

other anime screen cap galleries are also on my site too (Over 700 + in just Cardcaptor Sakura alone, not including thumbnails.)
http://www.sillymoogle.net/

You should be also aware of the Interlace/Deinterlace process because sometimes you'll have a frame with 2 cels active...

---- Edit ------
Posted the Mac program that works with DVD Player on site
http://www.sillymoogle.net/DVDCapture.sit.bin
Friend sent me this... so I don't know where it came from.

print screen doesnt work
i tried it in my n00b days XD

However, the PrtScr method worked on my laptop for some reason or another. VCD, DVD, no discrimination. I don't know whether that has something to do with installed decoder, codec, etc.

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by volrath77However, the PrtScr method worked on my laptop for some reason or
another. VCD, DVD, no discrimination. I don't know whether that has
something to do with installed decoder, codec, etc.

Which DVD player are you using?

I don't think it could be the normal commercially bought ones like WinDVD or DVD player (both Mac and Windows varients).

Programs like VLC do allow Print Screen or (Command + Shift + 4 on Macs), because they don't use the Overlay method. (VLC is FREE by the way).

Odysseus

Odysseus

Still searching...

Actually... it may simply depend on the graphic card on whether or not Prtscrn works. Just a theory or something. Anyway, I just use Fraps to take pictures from Interactual. (Yeah Fraps is only supposed to work for games but for some reason it works on Interactual too.

kylewasson

kylewasson

Otaku-man

I use my WinTV Go card which is hooked to my VCR with the DVD player and Paint Shop Pro 7 to save / edit the images. But, I've tried PowerDVD before, and it works very well with screencaps. When I did it for a few images that I liked, it would make them 640 x 480, so I had to adjust the size in the configuration and it worked.

Visit my website here.

View Kyle's Latest Wall here (Jumping For Joy!) | Scott's Latest here (Night Magic).

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by OdysseusActually... it may simply depend on the graphic card on whether or not
Prtscrn works. Just a theory or something. Anyway, I just use Fraps to
take pictures from Interactual. (Yeah Fraps is only supposed to work
for games but for some reason it works on Interactual too.

Those games save the Overlay protocol.

Quote by kylewassonI use my WinTV Go card which is hooked to my VCR with the DVD player
and Paint Shop Pro 7 to save / edit the images. But, I've tried
PowerDVD before, and it works very well with screencaps. When I did it
for a few images that I liked, it would make them 640 x 480, so I had
to adjust the size in the configuration and it worked.

What size are you're final images?

I know there's issues with the DVD buffers, being 740 X 480 (1.5 aspect ratio)... Oh well just wondering.

Print Screen does not work with Power DVD even if you disable Direct 3D acceleration.

Signature

BorisGrishenko

BorisGrishenko

send spike

Use Linux. It is really easy on Linux.

I am invincible!

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Wow, this thread has had a lot of activity. I just formed a Screen Capture Enthusiasts
http://groups.minitokyo.net/screencaptureenthusiasts/

Quote by tiki223Print Screen does not work with Power DVD even if you disable Direct 3D acceleration.

Most DVD players on PCs use the Overlay method, which is like the mouse cursor, located in a different region of memory (video RAM) than where your desktop objects are. They do this not to give us a hard time, but for the movie industry... I think... VLC (which is free / Open Source / availible on almost all OS platforms) doesn't work on this premise and should enable you to save using either PrintScreen or their built in saver.

As for the Use Linux... <points to BorisGrishenko post> for this task... uh regular users need to know WHAT program you're using... Just saying Use Linux... won't help people trying linux or people who haven't used the programs you've used to watch DVDs.

I'm all for compiling and writing your own DVD player or apps with Linux/Unix/ Mac OS X... but many users who aren't programming savy won't make the "switch" because this is intimidating... They want the process done for them. One click (or script) and it's done!

kylewasson

kylewasson

Otaku-man

sillymoogle- It's been a while since I last did it, but I can make it any size on my WinTV Go if I hook it straight into the card - but PowerDVD is on my roommate's computer, and I don't know what it came out as - but I always resize to match my desktop's resolution.

Visit my website here.

View Kyle's Latest Wall here (Jumping For Joy!) | Scott's Latest here (Night Magic).

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Actually... technically speaking, standard TV screen resolution depends on transmission type. In the Americas and Japan, we share the NTSC format. 30/60 frames per second at 512 by ... 384. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL. I don't remember it's resolutions at all, but it's larger than ntsc, but only 25/50 frames per second... so live action could appear more choppy... to someone who's used to ntsc.
There are some other TV transmission standards... like from the former Soviet Union (Russia), but I'm not familiar with their specs at all... so I won't even make a stab at it.

Why is this relevant with DVD capturing on a TV Tuner Card? Their original buffer is based on this resolution... not 640 X 480 like some claim to be. It's basically resizing it with Photoshop and loses optical clairity... depending on how the card interpolates it.

Quote by sillymoogleWhich DVD player are you using?

Presently, I have PowerDVD installed but I did use many players previously before settling down on PowerDVD. Perhaps some remnant files still remain which allowed me to do this.

Quote by OdysseusActually... it may simply depend on the graphic card on whether or not
Prtscrn works. Just a theory or something.

The onboard graphics chip in my laptop is SiS, I tthink. I don't know whether it has something to do with screencaps.

That said, whether it's due to the action of remnant files/drivers or graphics chip or both or some other things, I simply have no idea how the PrtScr works on DVD on my laptop.

sillymoogle

sillymoogle

Vectoring back to school

Quote by volrath77

Quote by sillymoogleWhich DVD player are you using?

Presently, I have PowerDVD installed but I did use many players
previously before settling down on PowerDVD. Perhaps some remnant files
still remain which allowed me to do this.

Quote by OdysseusActually... it may simply depend on the graphic card on
whether or not
Prtscrn works. Just a theory or something.

The onboard graphics chip in my laptop is SiS, I tthink. I don't know
whether it has something to do with screencaps.
That said, whether it's due to the action of remnant files/drivers or
graphics chip or both or some other things, I simply have no idea how
the PrtScr works on DVD on my laptop.

Odd Idea came to mind while working on dad's video card... There's a setting to to disable/endable a range of videocard accelleration in the "Advanced" tab of the video configuration... (on Mac right now... so I don't know exactly which tab it is...).
I remember that at the lower settings it changed the mouse cursor from the Overlays region of video memory to the desktop (or laptop)....

SiS? (takes a double look) a budget video card.... Is your laptop using Shared Memory? I seem to recall some of the earlier ones back in the late 90's were. Maybe it's the Shared Memory. I don't want to knock what's working for you though... ;)

*For those asking, Shared Memory refers to the use of System RAM as video RAM. It isn't quite as fast as video RAM for a couple of reasons... (Processor serving double duty as video processor, video and data data traffic all going through the same RAM chip bus, etc.). Um, did I lose some people there?

Quote by sillymoogleSiS? (takes a double look) a budget video card.... Is your laptop using
Shared Memory? I seem to recall some of the earlier ones back in the
late 90's were. Maybe it's the Shared Memory. I don't want to knock
what's working for you though... ;)

All generic laptop mobo sold here utilise shared memory. I use shared memory for my laptop.

Those mobo with integrated Nvidia or ATi chipsets are only found in brand items - Compaq, HP, IBM, Sony, Toshiba, etc.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.