Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is it really neccesary to LIKE characters - Minitokyo

Is it really neccesary to LIKE characters

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Teryon

Teryon

He who invents Ultratech

See, Im a writer of sorts, and an image hunter. Whilst perusing many a website Ive come across arguments against series that basically boil down to 'I dont like such and such character(s).'

Who ever said it had to be a rule that characters are likeable? *real* people usually arent likeable, or if they are its for some singular trait. And considering anime characters and their usually frelled-in-the-head, finding a normal likeable person is like finding kryptonite ;) Certainly several of MY characters arent very likeable; arrogant, pissy, filled with hate for very old reasons, fond of spouting cool lines(I like just a *bit* of cheese in my writing)..not the lovable types at all. Not even handsome, so no bishie stuff.

So whats your opinion?

"Brute force is not my way. My technology can devise infinitely more
successful, subtle, and unpleasant methods..."
Signature

Radetzky

Lord Master of all that is Chibi

I like to make all characters lovable for different reason and i think that it's that kinda thing that drives me to anime because if it has a character that i absolutly loathe then I dont like it as much due to the fact that i'm always hoping fo rthat character die a horrible death or be shanked by someone in the next scene. Although, if their screentime isnt that much and the rest of the characters are just lovable beyond all reason then it balances out. Then again they could be likable if they serve as a kinda comic relief evil guy or if they have a bad ass way about them then people will like them. Kinda like vicous in bebop

What does it mean to be saved?
Signature
When the world knocks you down, steals your wallet and spits in your eye; get up, dust yourself off and then round-house kick the world in the face. It's very top-heavy, it'll go right over.

TurtleEmperor

TurtleEmperor

full-time slacker

No, it's not necessary.
To like characters is just a bonus. I usually go for the story and action.

Signature Image
thank May-sama for the siggy ^_^

Terra-chan

Terra-chan

Crazy Lazy Workaholic

Definitely not necessary to LIKE a character. You can hate a character beyond reason, but if they serve some purpose in a more likeable character's development then you can at least respect a character you dislike for serving a purpose.

Signature
~ Deviant Artist ~ Comic Spriter ~ | ~ Are you UNDERAPPRECIATED
~ Come see the wonders of the Host Club ~

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

Quote by TurtleEmperorNo, it's not necessary.

Exactly. MAybe some romance and comedy in there too. To me, character is not really important.

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

ZeroFear

ZeroFear

That guy...

I think you have to like atleast a few of the characters in order to enjoy a anime series. Just can't see how story alone (especially if it involves the said character) can be any good without even a mild interesst in the characters.

No. Characters do not need to be likeable. In fact, I find that the most interesting characters are the flawed ones. Why? Because humans are all flawed in some way. No one is perfect.

I'm a bit more lenient when it comes to anime characters. You have to remember that the majority of anime characters are one-dimensional, which is due to the fact that the majority of animes aren't made for an older (20 and up?) audience. The target audience can easily attach themselves to the epitome of all that is good in the world, but its not so easy for them to like the arrogant guy. Heh. What show am I talking about? ;)

I posted about this kind of thing in the "favourite villain" thread. I listed Harry from GunGrave. Whilst the show wasn't wonderful, it was interesting to see a villain that was inherently flawed. He betrayed his friend, which is nothing new as far as animes go, but he agonized over his decisions.

I don't think its necessary to like any of the characters to enjoy a show. I think its necessary to be able to sympathize with some of the characters.
A fine example would be Kimi ga Nozumu Eien. I disliked each of the characters in some way, but I sympathized with their problems (even though I disliked how they reacted to them).
SaiKano is probably another good example. I only liked Akemi in that show, but it was still an enjoyable watch.

I'm not sure that I've really answered the question so I'll just end my babbling here.
Later.

unless your character have something really annoying, it might effect your story....im those who judge book by cover.

Quote of the day: Life isn't fair.. so why should a game be?

I f I don't have atleast one char I like
to cheer for..Or the chars don't appeal to me
I can't force myself to wacth it. I know that's not a fair opinion
but that's how I am. T_T

I hold Story In High Regard. Then comes the Characters.

I dont think I have favorites it all comes down to do they make the story more or less interesting.

P.S. Teryon Thanks for making this thread. I am attempting to write my first novel. I need to put in a few more Characters bad, and generaly ass holes to the main character.

I agree. A good anime/show can just stand out in plot and development and usually, if a story is well written, so are the characters.
Liking a character or not is subjective, but it shouldn't affect whether that anime is good or not...IMO of course.

evad83

evad83

Balancer Apprentice

I think whether the character is likeable and whether we can appreciate the character are basically two different things. To be able to appreciate the chars (whether they are likeable or not) due to the fact that their personalities and characters are well-developed or just having wacky or unique personality, is probably wat is very impt to me.

~ Bored of getting bored with boredom ~

angelicdemonIII

angelicdemonIII

Dark and Light

ummm you see this is how I look at it. sure not every anime is going to have character that we like. for example in Full Metal Alchmist I really dislike Armstrong. and I could care less for the story the only reason why I watch it is to see Hawkeye or Roy. so what I'm trying to say is that it depends on the anime and what you like. well thats how I see it

Signature Image

If you only put in characters that you like, then might as well have a story with one character, as everyone is different.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Not really I think... but at least it's better to have overall better liked characters in the "good" side... I guess it would be a little weird if by example you hate the main character and you just dislike the bad guy... I remember these american series where I want so badly that the bad guys win (probably because I dislike the series), of course they never do (but I was still hoping).

I'va watched the Sailor Moon serie that I really liked without liking any characters, well at least I didn't dislike the main characters.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

I find that most of the stories I thoroughly enjoy have a character I can relate to. While I do not need to like the majority of the characters in the story, as long as one character is compelling, I can trudge through the tedium of other characters. These characters are usually not the best in the story, but serve the purpose of drawing in fringe readers/players. When writing stories, it is important to remember your audience and attempt to connect them to the work in some way.

Yeah! Someguys like this charachter and some other guys like another one and there are always some guys who have different opinions...Like TurtleEmperor said it is not necessary to like a charachter!

Rai1e

Rai1e

Yay!

Optional, it's up to you. Well, personally i think you'll love a character if you watched an anime that suited you.

Pride comes before the fall

Wakarimashta

Wakarimashta

I Understand!

I'd say it's an important element of anime if you're going to sit through a 13+ episode series. Enjoying the characters will lighten up the mood when watching the series, while the characters that may seem arrogant on un-lovable will make you more pissed off as you watch it.

Personally, I would rather watch a show and "meet" the characters themselves as if they were real people. In reality, I am not fond of the un-lovable bunch, but I do like watching a series where we meet the "bad guy" and know the psychology of why he's filled with hate, etc.

I think it's necessary to have at least one likeable character
in order for me to consider a story to be an excellent one.

Certainly I don't have to like everyone, but I feel it's meaningless to go through a story
where you couldn't find even one person likeable/interesting enough to care about.
That doesn't mean the characters need to be perfect, just appealing for some reason or another.

In a way, the plot details the journey of the characters. What makes the journey a truly worthwhile read has a lot to do with what kind of person is taking the jouney, or at the very least who they meet along the way.

page 1 of 1 20 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.