Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Why do you make art? (Concerning Submissions) - Minitokyo

Why do you make art? (Concerning Submissions)

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Ok either i suck at searching or the only threads that've been related to this topic are over 3 weeks old : http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/28402/ and http://forum.minitokyo.net/showthread/27369/ and neither of the threads got much response
so if theres another one out there, you know the deal, close this one >_>

Anyways back on topic: Why do you make art? Not like artistic statements irl but rather the stuff you see in submissions : wallpapers, fanart, doujin, etc.

1-Do you wall for yourself like when you see a scan you like, you want to wall for you desktop?

2-Do you make art for others like those that run a site and get requests for certain anime walls?

3-Do you make art to get criticism and opinion in hopes of improving your skills for a future in graphic design or other arts careers?

4-Do you make art for glory, to bring attention to yourself and make yourself popular?

5-Do you make art to show your skills and mastery over things like the pen tool or vectoring?

6-Do you make art to just put something out there thats new and original and non-cliche?

7-Do you make art for your own entertainment, because you're bored and have nothing to do?

Theres lots of reasons people make art, and lately, it seems people have forgotten orginally why they began doing the things they did. Everyone wants to believe they wall for themselves and to get better. However, if you look at the gallery, it seems that people are walling just to get attention to themselves or to earn favs and levels and such. Or they're walling just for their friends, not improving at all and making the same old walls. Theres not much originality anymore, at least with walls. Other art , like doujinshi, is still really high quality but they don't get as much attention.

People lately always complain about not having enough favs since their friends are supposedly making good walls, but can you show us more than 10 awesome walls,that you don't see everyday, made within a week's timeframe. Mostly, I see people jumping on those cliche walls, the ones with planets and stars or half naked girls, ecchi and stuff. They're cliche because people began to realize that thats what people thought looked good so now lots of people want to make walls like that and the quality is just deteorating. I mean, you can still make a cliche wall thats awesome and deserving to be praised but it'll take a lot more effort than before.

Things like doujinshi and abstract usually have lots of originality in it. Though straying away from the mainstream things isn't always a good idea, its nice to see different things everyonce in a while though that doesn't mean they usually deserve high praise. Its hard to be different but its better than being cliche.

Personally, im not much of a artist or waller, but i've been around lots of great artist for a long time now and seen lots of different walls and art so you tend to pick some stuff up and your eyes get better at spotting the small details in a piece of art. If you compared the pieces of art that made high praise a year ago to whats being praised now, you'll see a big difference in the level of skill. We're all people and capable of achieving a mastery of such artistic abilities but that leaves the question as to why are things the way they are now.

Whats changed isn't really the walls, but rather the people. Long ago, there were less people and these people were often exposed to great pieces of art so they knew what was good and what was crap. Now, theres lots of people who just like to praise anything they think is good.
You don't really have to like a work for it to be great. People have different taste but even if you don't like something it can still be magnificent, like if you didn't like the Mona Lisa you know that thats still a great piece of work, just not something you're into. Lots of people don't seem to understand that so thats why things are they way they are.

On a final note, not everything is art. Pretty colors + Sparkles + stock images doesn't equal art, or at least great art. (From the dictionary) Art is High Quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value. (well at least thats one meaning of it)

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

Oh wow... Philosophical thread about art, and 1:30 a.m. here... me = x_x So, sorry if i don't make any sense -_-

Well, I don't wall, and I know absolutely nothing about walling, so I guess, in this case, it's normal that I can't always distinguish good walls from crap ^_^'... Blame that on my lack of knowledge about the art media in question... So I can't really say I entirely agree with you about the cliche walls and the quality going down without being an hypocrit, though I tend to >.< oh, and Chopts, you can slap me for liking cliches ^_^'
But when it comes to doujin and fanart, I think I know enough... Well, it's my media after all... and I can honestly agree with you on one thing :

Quote by ChopstickzOther art , like doujinshi, is still really high quality but they don't get as much attention.

And this is really sad... On top of that, the only doujin/fanart that are really noticed are either vectors, or cged pics... And for the cged, almost only the ones that were done by computer... Pencil is forgotten T_T loll, it's the only instrument i've used so far ^_^' Well, same as for walls, I don't know how to use a software for arts...

As for the reason why I make art.. If I say all of the above? (except maybe no 6 ^_^') I do it for myself, for other ppl to see it, coz' I'm bored, to get better, coz' I want to be noticed and so on... And i know my drawings are mostly cliches too, just coz' I'm the one who's not original, or rather, coz' I don't have any imagination ^_^'

The real question would be why do I submit my stuff on mt... Even if I'm ashamed of it sometimes... And yet, I don't even know the answer ^_^' I guess it's coz' I'm curious to know what other people think, and I want to know what they see that I can't... And most of all, I crave people's encouragement through their comments >.<

Did I make any sense? OX

*pats pats yame-chan* ish ok if you suxorz with art programs or tend to ramble on late at night, i do too ! n_nV
anyways, though vectors get more attention , the details you can make with pen
or pencil are just way better and accurate of course, unless you're using like an
expensive tablet ^^;. Its not wrong to like cliche, or else they wouldn't be cliche,
but its good to try something new sometimes. Oh and your DBZ and SM drawings
are good yame-chan. I personally like the handrawn stuff though handrawn and vectors and cg's
take lots of time, the pencil will always be the original tool of artistry ^^

o_O-0
weeeeeeeee

white-zero

white-zero

Left this part of the universe.

I wall because of my interest in digital arts and I see it as a way of improving myself from the comments received.

But sadly, some people think that the submissions are meant to be posted on 4chan. Bunch of fags. >_>

Besides, I'm a freelancer. So, I'll do anything to improve myself. ^^

Amaranth

Amaranth

<iDlE>

1-Do you wall for yourself like when you see a scan you like, you want to wall for you desktop?
yup...but i also know my limits..and it's like..i can't do this._. ...mostly...so no wallin much for me...
2-Do you make art for others like those that run a site and get requests for certain anime walls?
no oO not good enough..and would be too lazy for that xD...sides...i'm not much into pleasing others oO
3-Do you make art to get criticism and opinion in hopes of improving your skills for a future in graphic design or other arts careers?
yupyupyup.......probably will never be good enough though xD...last hopes kinda thing ._.
4-Do you make art for glory, to bring attention to yourself and make yourself popular?
oOnyu
5-Do you make art to show your skills and mastery over things like the pen tool or vectoring?
no._.....i don't got skillz
6-Do you make art to just put something out there thats new and original and non-cliche?
i don't think my wall's that cliche ....
7-Do you make art for your own entertainment, because you're bored and have nothing to do?
mhmm~ it's fun

lol...the dictionary is our friend xD

and i guess...no matter what people say...there will sill be those people who have what they think is art...not everything is art...xD....lotsa people could see otherwise oO
and..and...just because you spend loads of time on something..does that hafta make it great x___X...blagh...i hate that...not that one hr stuff is good or bad..just like..time shouldn't mattermuch._.

KorganoS

KorganoS

Busy atm ^_^;;

Lol Chopz,.. maybe such thread don't get much attention anymore because either there's some other threads with the same topic again and again, or ppl kinda feel it's an inevitable matter to deal with. :)
As for me, making art submissions (wallpapers, specifically) in Minitokyo is a pleasant experience.

First time I came here, I was like, omg.. lots of great wallpapers, must be made by great ppl too.. and that time, I learn every curves and bends to make my first wallpaper, since I already had a bit of PS knowledge. After I got my first wallpaper finished and uploaded to MT and AO, I wasn't really care if it got into the favorites at all, because all I care was that I want my art to please other ppl, as much as I enjoyed making it. That's all..
Later on, I joined a wallpaper site, to distribute my work even more to the anime community, from there, I got many inputs and help from fellow wallpaper artist. I also believe that if you had made an artwork with all your heart, you won't care about the amount of favs you received. Because making other ppl enjoy what you make is the original aim.
Afterwards, I got a job in a local digital photography shop, and also in a magazine layout designs company, that's thanks to MT, because it's like a worldwide portfolio to me. (I always wanted to make original artwork in DevArt, but anime and manga are always being my personal preference, and I think I'm not good at all in making original art :P ).

To be honest, I really like MT when it's not as crowded as nowadays. When ppl submit art not to race for the highest fav count, but mostly for fun, sharing, and well, sometimes competing each other, but in a good way. To express anime art, technical aspects, and beautiful compositions. Name some of the great but MIA artists, Sammo, Kenzotsuke, Cloudnine,.. there are some others.. they don't make wallpapers in a zap! Some of them even took months to complete a wall or art. And the result was just jaw-dropping. I couldn't even be on par with their walling skills and inspirations.

I think most of those so-called 'crappy art' nowadays are just a result of ppl's own preference, and the 'trend' that's going on in MT. If you had the time, go check my most fav'ed submission. It's so damn "moon-cutie-and stars" themed XD LOL it even titled 'Under the Moon and the Stars'. (advertising? you bet.. roflmao) ... no, seriously.. I think, honestly,.. it's not bad, isn't it?, well.. a bit overrated, exaggerated, but it's not bad at all.
What I'm trying to say is that wallers should think about their aim more ... the reason why they make art, and not just doing it the usual way. Of course, moon and stars are trendwhorish, but if it's made artistically, and it's able to please the audience,.. and it was made for that reason, it's not a bad thing. Go have a look at Osi's wall: Enchanted Forest. (shuffle). It's soo moon and cutie with a blue toned background. But it's not crappy, isn't it? It's not crappy, because it was well-thought. The lighting is nice, the detail is subtle, and the overall quality is satisfying. Compare it to this scenario:
- Oh damn, I find a nice cute ecchi girl scan. Now if I slapped in a moon here, and stars there with some trees,.. it's goin' to get heaps of favs.
- Oh yes, I got another cute scan. A moon and some sparkels should be enough to get ppl's attention. I got to extract it fast so I'll simply use the good ol' magic wand.
That's just wrong. From the execution, the idea, and most important of all, the original aim of the waller.
Another scenario:
- Oh, there's a nice scan, and it seems that the girl portrayed is luminated by a lightsource from her back, and I had to think of a way so ppl can still have icons on the leftside,.. so that shouldn't be crowded, I'm going to add a lightsource.. it's night-scened, so, it better be a moon, and from the point of view, it would be nice to add lamp poles, and use dodge tool on parts of her dress to give the impression of lighting, then I will add a typo, but how to make it not boring.. maybe I'll add decorations, but the colors should not hurt the eyes. Grass would be fine, since she's standing there and her feet is visible. etc etc,.
It's a well thought wall, and it was tailored to please the audience as much as possible. There's moon and grass, but it won't look like it's just slapped onto the scan, since the waller accurately think about those aspects, and not just relying on trend.
Doing a completely different walling approach (grunge, abstract), would be more applausible.

Now, the question that would arise from this: how should we tell the n00bs to stop making low-quality submissions?
The answer would be : you can tell them about it, but you can't force them to do as what you wanted. It's more than 100K members, ranging from age below 10 to those above 30, not an easy thing to do, and don't forget the 'personal preference' matter.
How to solve this? Well, maybe to change the whole MT fav system. The current fav limitation is good, but it's not enough to avoid ppl making 5-minutes crappy walls. I can make one right now, and I bet you wouldn't like that, would you? :)
Or just let the crappy submissions coming along, and ignore them completely.
Which one suits you best? :D

neways, just my 2 cents. Kinda feel like typing the whole day, so I'll just stop here XD lol

For HQ anime pieces of art
visit : [FRAGMENTS] - www.crash.inweb.dk

Midori-chan

Midori-chan

Shh...

well, i make arts because i love to draw!!
drawing makes me happy and if anyone likes my drawing, i will be even happier^^
yes, i do hope people will comment on the drawing i did, so that i can improve more and won't do the same mistakes over and over again.
the reason i make art is not for popularity or glory, i just love to draw and hope that people will like it, it's just as simple as that^^
hmm, sometimes i make art to improve my skills and if people admires my skills and they wish to learn, i'll definitely teach them^^
i draw something original so that i know what i can imagine in my mind, i can draw it out^^
it is just to test my creativity.
i make art because i LOVE to, if i had free time, i'll definitely draw something^^

i wanted to wall something, too bad i don't know how to use the PS -_-
anyways, that's all my answer^^

I'm a digital "artist", so I have absolutely no skill with a writing tool. However, my "art" is a product of boredom, and a desire to advance my own skills. But more than a little bit, it's a way for me to challenge the norms, and explore other places people don't usually go to (which was why I was reluctant to change over to abstract backgrounds for a while, and why I work on trying something new with every sig/wall I make).

I'm really new here, but I don't really look for comments. What I look at is the download number. If there's a lot, then I know people like it, and I'm happy!

Signature Image

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

Walling is my anti-drug xD NAh, I'm just bored and want to imporve my skills. It's also m creative outlet. I can't draw a circle even if my life depended on it but on photoshop, I just hold a key down and the mosue button and it fdraws a PERFECT circle ^^

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

lunacrystal

lunacrystal

Am I alive?

i dont make art. i like making doujishis but i dont have a scanner! >.<

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

I make art, don't really submit it, cause it releases my creative side. It doesn't matter if anyone else appreciates it, cause it is about being selfish when creating a piece. Others will disrupt the natural flow of the artist and the piece will not be as personal. I've looked back at some old work, boy was it crude and generic looking. It really does takes practice to refine what you want to come out like you want it.

-repeat-

Yumi-Chan

Yumi-Chan

chibi~ <3

wow chopz is really getting serious here. well i have to say i agree with everything he said above. why do i make art? what's my reason?

well my true reasons are, because i love anime. that's why you only see me making anime wallpapers. very few of games except for ragnarok (because i love that game as well!) it follows what i love from the start. another reason why i do art (doujin) is because, i was encouraged & i truly enjoy it while i draw ! you must enjoy when you're doing something you like isn't it? ^^

everyone has their own way of walling, yes many of them seem like been doing wallpapers for friends, for the sake of getting favs, for being popular around, with such low and bad quality of artwork. it's so bad, i could get blind. not saying that mine is all good, just that, i can say they could've done a lot better. being original is important. practicing without improving is just, something wrong with that person >_>.. even some cannot stand critiques.

i don't wanna speak so much as i dont have much time left before school is going to start X_x.. haha.. *huggles choppie-kun* ^^ eventho he doesnt wall, he knows the differences between the people of their level/skill of walling. it changes. the world is getting weird =/

Signature
x.x;; + + +[url="www.digikb.net"]Digikb[/url] + + +
:nya: i <33 mochii-chann ^_^

Point 3 and 7 applies to me, but mostly 7.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Koenken

Koenken

Crazy Tiger

Interesting points. Hmm... Why do make art?

I like to make art because it is something I enjoy.
If I find someting interesting looking maybe I will make a drawing or painting of it.
I usually like to use one photo for the foreground like buildings or people and use like one or two photos to inspire the background.
I also change things from a picture to my drawing or painting to make it original.
I like to show my artwork to share my view and to get encouraged and to learn.
I have not done any walls, yet. When I do, I plan to use some of my paintings and pastel pieces as background.
I think it would be interesting to mix digital with traditional artwork.

"You should never get between people and their pudding!" - Milly Tompson

azndude88

azndude88

AznDude88

i make art becuase it is my hobbie i want to challenge my self to see far my limits can go to what ican or i cannot achieve and work on that more

What Can Any One Do ?

riyumimikage

riyumimikage

a yakuza in the making...

3-Do you make art to get criticism and opinion in hopes of improving your skills for a future in graphic design or other arts careers? <--- this one applies, although i'm not in the arts sector of career but i do wanna improve in my drawing skills.

7-Do you make art for your own entertainment, because you're bored and have nothing to do? <--- ahh, another hit on the bullseye. sometimes i get really agitated with studies and drawing is another way to relieve my stress.

another reason... i'm obsessed with bishounens... so far the strongest reason i like to draw (which are mainly guys) to help me overcome this disease... XD

Signature Image

remember tha pain i've given you and also the pleasure...

I don't see my category >_<
But the closest would be 7.
Other than that I make art to put food on the table and a roof over my head T___T
Reality's ugly once you start living...

Well I try, I still can't download scans from here yet lol but yes generally I do but sometimes its just for me to collect pretty pictures lol

2-Do you make art for others like those that run a site and get requests for certain anime walls? No, but I have commisioners and I do commisions for others for money with my traditional artworks

Sometimes, I'm still developing my own style so I do like feed back now and again

lol of course, not entirely the main focus of course but a little fame from something that you enjoy doing never really hurts =P

Um yes i would say so

No, some of my work is pretty cliche but I like it nonetheless

lol I don't know about the bored and nothing better to do part but yes i do create art for my own enjoyment and entertainment =]

any other questions feel free to ask =]

Well I try, I still can't download scans from here yet lol but yes generally I do but sometimes its just for me to collect pretty pictures lol

2-Do you make art for others like those that run a site and get requests for certain anime walls? No, but I have commisioners and I do commisions for others for money with my traditional artworks

Sometimes, I'm still developing my own style so I do like feed back now and again

lol of course, not entirely the main focus of course but a little fame from something that you enjoy doing never really hurts =P

Um yes i would say so

No, some of my work is pretty cliche but I like it nonetheless

lol I don't know about the bored and nothing better to do part but yes i do create art for my own enjoyment and entertainment =]

any other questions feel free to ask =]

zephiris26

zephiris26

Vector Addict [TM]

I wall and vector because I like it. It's my hobby, and I love doing it. I couldn't care less about favorites.

I wall for myself. I usually use someone else's wallpaper on my desktop, because there are many people whose styles I admire.

Well, I make walls for DigiKB, but we don't get requests.

I love criticism. Love it. I hate all those "nice wall!1!1! :D XD :) ;)" comments. I particularly enjoy kai81220's reviews. I'd love to do something in graphic design as a career, but right now I'm focusing on sciences.

No, I don't do that. It's a load of crap.

I love using the pen tool, but I don't try to show off...I vector images when I like.

I try to. ;)

Yes.

SamuraiHaruko

SamuraiHaruko

Butterfly

Choppers...here's the thing people submit their stuff because they love what they do. And
does it really matter if any one responses to it? I mean sure it feels like christmas to get
notifications on it but ppl do it mostly because they love it

Magically Delicious, yo.

Well firstly I started making art again recently so that it can help me get off my addiction for Runescape (sad I know), and also because when I see something that inspires me, it makes me feel good if I can capture it in a drawing. In art you have total control, and you can create perfection to the best of your ability.

I started submitting them online because a friend suggested it. At first I was really hesitant about sharing my art (because I think it's a bit personal), but then I realised the its benefits as opposed to keeping it locked up in my dark, dark drawers. The feedback I get from them, I see more as a motivational thing, rather than an ego-stroker. It encourages and challenges me. I certainly aint one to parade my art in real life, so submitting them online is an easier alternative for me to gain contructive criticism.

nekogirl333

nekogirl333

Konatic

Point 7 applies to me lol. But I like making wallpapers of less popular characters in anime since i never see many of them. Or I make it just cos I thought of an idea for a scan I see.

cherry12

love,hinata

i just do it because it's my passion and takeuchi-dono *sailormoon creator* inspired me to create my first manga (cat's house).

did i change alittle?

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.