Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 'Til death do us part - Minitokyo

'Til death do us part

page 1 of 1 23 total items

A very touching story.

Link

p.s. I urge you to read from the link. The font is bigger and easier to read.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

THEY were the gifted mathematicians who worked out the formula for happily ever after.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/image/oldweb.jpg/oldweb.jpg
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/image/olderweb.jpg/olderweb.jpg

"George and Esther Szekeres' life together began more than 70 years ago after a chance meeting at university.

And it ended together when they passed away peacefully on Sunday within half an hour of one another at a nursing home.

George, 94, and Esther, 95 – both leading Sydney academics – were married for 66 years.

Their children Peter and Judy yesterday described them as "humanitarians who will be remembered for their humanity and kindness".

As students, the pair first came together to solve mathematical problems and discuss their solutions at the Technological University of Budapest, in Hungary. But as their love bloomed, they soon found it wasn't just a genius for numbers they had in common.

Judy Szekeres said her parents also shared a love of music, art galleries and concerts.

"They also loved bushwalking, but Mum wasn't as good at it as Dad," she recalled fondly.

"They were great contributors to the mathematical life of Australia."

After their marriage, the couple moved from Hungary to Shanghai in the lead-up to World War II, where their son Peter – also a gifted mathematician and physicist – was born.

Judy was born in Adelaide after her father accepted an offer to lecture at the University of Adelaide in 1948.

After 15 years, the family moved to Sydney where Mr Szekeres – who was awarded a Member of the Order of Australia in 2002 – took up the role of Chair of Pure Mathematics at the University of NSW. Mrs Szekeres was one of the first academics to lecture at Macquarie University.

The couple moved back to Adelaide from Turramurra last year to be closer to their children. Before the move, Mr Szekeres was still a common sight at the University of NSW, where he was appointed Emeritus Professor in the mathematics department.

"He kept going to the university well into his 90s,"Dr Peter Szekeres said.

Mrs Szekeres had a stroke last year and was nursed back to health by her husband.

"Dad visited Mum in hospital every day. I'm sure that's what pulled her through and gave her an extra year of life," Dr Szekeres said.

Mrs Szekeres moved into Adelaide's Wynwood nursing home last year and was joined by Mr Szekeres seven weeks ago as his health deteriorated.

"They got to share a room which was just lovely," Ms Szekeres said.

As Mr Szekeres' condition worsened last weekend, his wife kept a bedside vigil.

"When she realised that Dad was going to go, I think the grief just took over," Ms Szekeres said through tears.

"Dad passed away at 6.15am and Mum died at 6.45am."

Australian College of Applied Psychology chairwoman Dhurva Davis said not all deaths are caused by illness, and some part of Mrs Szekeres' mind decided she could not live without her husband.

"Emotional connections such as love and close companionship over the years have a big impact on people's mind, body and emotional connections," Ms Davis said.

"Medical science has a long way to go to understand the mind-body connection."

Welcome to everyone!!!

Hei !!! I very agree with you too !!!

Hei !!! NICE TO MEET YOU AND GOOD TO SEE YOU !!! Hope you have wonderful days everyday

gotta agree

MysteryAngel

MysteryAngel

Kurai utsukushisa

I also agree.

Signature Image

WolfMaster

WolfMaster

The Hunter

I agree fully

Edited first post so it displays the news and pics - perfect for those too lazy to click on the link. ;)

raysgirl20032000

Athrunzpet

yep, yep, definitly a touching story

*'~!~"**'~!~'**'~!~"**'~!~'*
Signature Imagehttp://yixue.66ip.com/tou14.gif[/sigimg]

BlkLotus

BlkLotus

bara tsukiyo

very touching. i hope to have a relationship that lasts that long as well.

Yes, it's a very touching story.

Inuyasha-FAN

Inuyasha-FAN

I'm back

very very touching story

WOW...
talk about TRUE love...which is extremely rare these days...

Signature

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way they live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." - The Crow

"Sometimes, we're so powerless, that the onli thing we can control is how little we live on" - Mena Suvari (Loser)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/anjelicomen

dvx

dvx

Otaku

Very touching story.

Signature Image
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

angelrhea

angelrhea

<"Little Hime">

what a touching and lovely story. i also agree. wish to have that kind of relationship. **blushes**

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

DoubleBarrel

DoubleBarrel

Banisher of Spam

very touching and moving but i dont need to worry about stuff like that.

Slicing spam into nothingness so u wont have to.

Radeonator

not here, not now.

Touching.... O_o
I wish I had something like that........

=Im here temporarily, please dont visit or leave any message.

mOochaN

A L O N E

woooww.... another thing learnt from fellow MT.. that is soo touching.. its definitely... i couldnt agree more.. XD

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

Bump for those who haven't seen this.

wow that was an amazing story..i enjoyed reading it and i thought it was really cool that they died 30 minutes apart, and it was really cool that when one of then was sick they would stay next to each other!

Oh,that's so nice,it's the real love ^_^

foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten

Sentimental Daydreamer...

omg.... true love. *sigh* beautiful story... but I think they are still together, in another life. So it's not "til death to us part"... it's "till death, we are still together"

^^

Banda-kun

Too much is never enough...

agree

Death is always option.

Aww, so cute! Old people are adoreable! ..Cept not sometimes. But these two are!

oh wow that's wonderful :-) makes me happy :D I have found my true love as well...and I hope we are together as long as them :-)

page 1 of 1 23 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.