Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 A Starbucks Quote... - Minitokyo

A Starbucks Quote...

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 34 total items

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

OMG! The US government is only after oil. Why were they spending so much money in relief in places like Africa, former "Russia", how about Afganistan. In fact the US government has been offering aid all over the place to help people when this is the farthest thing from any other government in the world. That is such a cop-out it is most definatly _on_ topic here. You are spouting popular rhetoric that has been taught to you instead of something you have thought about, and if this is the result of you "indepentent" thought. I am not impressed.

About slaves. I have no evidence of the fact, but I think this social change would not have happened in a vacum. I don't think the north really cared if it was right or not. I think they did it in the end because it gave them some immediate rally call to arms to head off other problems.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Quote by SilentMasamuneWhere did negotiations go? I hardly see any negotiation to solve a problem between 2 people today; it's all about fighting to see who's laws or beliefs dominate. If the US said that they'll rebuild and perhaps negotiate with the leaders of Iraq, then maybe conflict may have been avoided. However, there are people who would rather see things the hard way and cause more and more conflict and even involve other people in their business rather than settle their differences peacefully.
If everyone in Iraq was killed, that will pose problems for Iraq's allies. Their allies would want to seek some sort of revenge for their loss, am I right? See, people these days don't think as much as they used to back in the past, and that is why there's no much conflict going on, and the use of guns to solve problems today is much more frequently used than in the past. However, there is not a thing that's being solved. The only thing happening is the provoking of more and more violence, and therefore, it has become one of our means of attempting to solve something, as if we've been manipulated by these cliches.

Well, I am contempt to agree. Nowadays, no one ever just sit down and have a peaceful negociation anymore. Not in daily life nor internationally. For example when workers go on strike, no one will lower their demand even though it is outragously ridiculous. Countries who have problems wages wars against each other or sometime just raise the tariff and damge the other country's economy. Even though violence and aggresion will always create more violence, it is often the only way we can deal with events. I can't emphasize enough that, as a race, we are fairly primitive. Although, we have the ability to think, we still can't resolve matters by simple reasoning. People will always think about theirselves first, and that is why negociations never work. We are just too simply selfish.

Off topic

Quote by animefreak3OMG! The US government is only after oil. Why were they spending so much money in relief in places like Africa, former "Russia", how about Afganistan. In fact the US government has been offering aid all over the place to help people when this is the farthest thing from any other government in the world. That is such a cop-out it is most definatly _on_ topic here. You are spouting popular rhetoric that has been taught to you instead of something you have thought about, and if this is the result of you "indepentent" thought. I am not impressed.
About slaves. I have no evidence of the fact, but I think this social change would not have happened in a vacum. I don't think the north really cared if it was right or not. I think they did it in the end because it gave them some immediate rally call to arms to head off other problems.

I am pretty sure this is directed to me so...

Well, US isn't the only country that offers relief aid, and it certainly isn't the most generous one. It is just doing that as a attempt to build an image. Beside, it is the people who are giving most of the money, not the government. Furthermore, the foreign aid are often in forms of food which actually are bought from the farmers in US and that helps US's economy. The food aid isn't actually what the country needs. They need helps to build up their economy, so they don't need to depend on food given to them by other countries. Last, please don't talk about Afganistan, US destroy the damn place. It is up to you guys to fix it up. I can't believe the US government was actually asking for money other countries when all the contracts are given to American companies.

Btw, yes I know I am very anti-US.

Signature

DarkVirus

DarkVirus

::Nobody::

the quote really makes the prople question about what they say about the actions about the government. the author really made the quote worth thinking because he pointed out the negative sides of one of the cliches that most mobs used.

off-topic: wow... u guys changed the argument of the Starbucks quote topic into an anti-war topic....

retire

Acuni

Acuni

wrapped in night

it is easy
people use violenc because they feel stronger and they usualy don't have the courage to think abuot a nother way to salf the problems.

say when did an ape become an human being? when he used violenc to break something and he liked it that is the problem and he once again fellt stronger.

if there was nothing to break would you than use violenc i think not it is useles to fight the ear

and besides if there wouldn't be something as violenc and war would there be something like peace on this Earth?

"Everywhere, unthinking mobs of 'independent thinkers' wield tired cliches like cudgels, pummeling those who dare to question 'enlightened' dogma. If 'violence never solved anything', cops wouldn't have guns and slaves may have never been freed. If it's better that 10 guilty men go free to spare one innocent, why not free 100 or 1,000,000? Cliches begun arguments, they don't settle them."

in some points the outhor is right in some not well about the cops and guns well that is difficult nobody is perfect in comunicaing with other peples and that can be a bad thing if you say a wrong word to the wrong person
and the other about slaves if there doesn't exist something like violenc who would slave them and how?
lots of questions? but not enought answers ^^

had to say something i know i missed the point XD

Signature

animefreak3

animefreak3

Serpentarius

Quote by RainOfStarsWell, US isn't the only country that offers relief aid, and it certainly isn't the most generous one.

You're right, but there were points in history where it was the only one.

Quote by RainOfStarsIt is just doing that as a attempt to build an image.

Says you again, think for yourself. The way I see it, when the US went into Africa to fight starvation. They were really trying to prevent a communicable plague, and other health risks for the world population.

Quote by RainOfStarsBeside, it is the people who are giving most of the money, not the government. Furthermore, the foreign aid are often in forms of food which actually are bought from the farmers in US and that helps US's economy. The food aid isn't actually what the country needs.

Yes, you're right. Help is what is offered.

Quote by RainOfStarsThey need helps to build up their economy, so they don't need to depend on food given to them by other countries.

i think the help that was offered helped an over all human interest. The US could have cared if it was really what the would have prefered.

Quote by RainOfStarsLast, please don't talk about Afganistan, US destroy the damn place. It is up to you guys to fix it up. I can't believe the US government was actually asking for money other countries when all the contracts are given to American companies.

Oh, it was the US who destroyed it. You need to read up on your history. I saw before, and after photos. It was beautiful before the Russian armies arrived. Then the Taliban moved in, and set the place back to the 14th century. It was being destroyed all along. Yet it was the US who's to blame? You are spouting ignorant (un-reasoned) rhetoric.

fyi this was one of the homes of ancient Buddhism. That was one of the first things the Taliban attacked. Plz don't ask me to not speak against your misinformation.

Quote by RainOfStarsBtw, yes I know I am very anti-US.

So am I, but I'm being more intelligent when I'm doing it. You give us all a bad name.

We begin and end in nothingness. Our darkness is confronting our ultimate nature, for nothing can come from nothing. We must sow the wind and reap the void, since the now is all we have. Together, we walk in darkness.

animefairy

animefairy

Bored student

Quote by vietgurl5593O.o i dont get it. im only 12 so dont pick on me! >.<

same here but i am only 11! :(

Thank you so much to soujiokita fro making my avy and sig! Mega thanks! *hugs*
Signature
Check out my userpage layout by Chichiri1907

FredGreg

FredGreg

Cynical pedant.

Quote by RainOfStarsWell, we are kind of off topic here. Hope SilentMasamune won't mind.
Anyway, I prefere to think it is the US government's own fault for intervien with the middle east. US is always trying to gain control of that place for its oil. Now, it pays for its actions. I agree that terrorism is a way of life. It is a tendency for Muslims (no offense to anyone). It is just the way the religion goes.

I doubt he'll mind - he got in on it a bit after this quote, after all ^_^

You have a point about the US gov't though. Cheney & Halliburton anyone? I know that's a bit too conspiriacy-theoretical for most, but Rumsfeld, Cheney, that whole little clique of neo-cons have been itching to get into the middle east for 20 years. I can't say why, it could be oil, munitions, a misguided desire to bring US-style democracy to the region (yeah, who'd believe that?), whatever. But they've been pushing it for ages.

It's not just Muslims - the Catholic Church were just as bad, if not worse, during the Crusades. Similar to that being a domniant group & tarnishing Christianity as a whole, the majority of Muslims are normal, it's just a bunch of whackjobs who are ruining it for the rest. Personally I think the ones who are doing it for Allah are being mislead by the ones doing it for an ideology in many cases.

Quote by SilentMasamuneThe war is endless only because people learned that violence will solve their problems

[...]

people these days don't think as much as they used to back in the past, and that is why there's so much conflict going on, and the use of guns to solve problems today is much more frequently used than in the past. However, there is not a thing that's being solved. The only thing happening is the provoking of more and more violence, and therefore, it has become one of our means of attempting to solve something, as if we've been manipulated by these cliches.

If you eliminated all violence... what then? There'd be no violence to propagate more, right? Right. But pretty soon, a little kid somewhere would trip in a game, & his peers would realise that if they pushed each other over, they'd have a better chance themselves. People all over the world would quickly discover that hurting someone else can give you an edge, & violence would be back. Except for two differences - one, we wouldn't have our tools to do it, & two, we wouldn't know how to deal with the social phenomenon.

People don't think much these days, & violence is widespread, I'll agree to that. But do you really think it's worse than in prior times? We're better at avoiding thought, & better at hurting, but it's not much more than that. There's no fundamental shift in either, they've just become more efficient.

I also think you're putting too much emphasis on cliches. Ideas are powerful, yes, but they're not cliches if they're having such an effect - a cliche is a phrase or other representation of an idea (or an idea itself, really) that's so overused it no longer means anything.

Quote by animefreak3About slaves. I have no evidence of the fact, but I think this social change would not have happened in a vacum. I don't think the north really cared if it was right or not. I think they did it in the end because it gave them some immediate rally call to arms to head off other problems.

You're right, to a degree. Go read some history, a rallying point was a large part of what made Lincoln so adamant. Of course, the war didn't start because of slavery, one of Lincoln's black friends had a huge part in convincing him. Ah it's more complicated that this... but suffice to say that it was used to help with the war effort rather than as the cause of the war, & while that doesn't negate the altruism & basic humanity of the gesture, it does put a dampener on the whole 'the north fought a WAR for the blacks!' argument that pops up all the time.

Quote by animefreak3Oh, it was the US who destroyed it. You need to read up on your history. I saw before, and after photos. It was beautiful before the Russian armies arrived. Then the Taliban moved in, and set the place back to the 14th century. It was being destroyed all along. Yet it was the US who's to blame? You are spouting ignorant (un-reasoned) rhetoric.

All correct, but they haven't made it any worse. Unstable, yes, but that's not bad when stability was Taliban rule. Maybe now they can get back to before the Russians had their war there. Though to be honest, Amin's gov't was communist & tried to remove the Muslim traditions of the nation entirely, which didn't go down well at all with the otherwise modern, yet strongly Muslim populace. He kept arresting leaders & such. They were already in civil war before the Russians came in & destroyed the place.

first of all is this is a very interesting topic... thanks silentmasamune :)

Secondly I don't believe violence is ever the answer! In my opinion a violence act is only ever committed by someone who is trying to prove that they have more power than the other person... perfect example is corporal punishment, where you have one individual who says that something you did is wrong and therefore instead of reasoning and explaining why the person did what they did, their actions are punished physically by somebody who is either bigger or stronger or has more authority than the other. ~_~

Thirdly there are places or situation that can be resolved without violence such as in South Africa. Nelson Mandela helped put an end to Apartheid in a relatively peaceful manner and once he became president his message was one of creating peace not seeking out revenge! XP

Lastly I don't believe that the war on terror will ever end simply because I don't believe that you can stop people committing such irrational violent acts by turning around and committing violence yourself.

djay345

djay345

Wannabe Princess

I agree with JumpingBean ;-)

War or human violence is a man-made disaster. To understand why wars go on when nearly everyone wants peace, we must looks into the nature of war. No nation today would go to war if it could get what it wants peacefully. The fighting starts when a nation wants a thing so badly that it is willing to go to war in order to get it. Sometimes we can compare wars of nations to a dangerous enlargement of a quarrel between two children. Wanting our way without thought and care for others is the root cause of violence and wars, big or small. We need to be saved from ourselves. We need to overcome our being war-like, for all we have this tendencey within us.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 34 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.