Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Credit cards - Minitokyo

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

How well do you manage your credit cards? There was a time when I got into habit of using the card I had in rather cavalier fashion. You know the favorite quote, "Oh, I'll pay it next month." The problem here is that you continue to do that months after months and you only pay minimum monthly and guess what? Your balance keeps going up and up until it becomes unmanageable. Thankfully I did not get to that point but extricating out of the mess was rather painful but it was done.

Now I only keep credit cards that I need and the rest is cut up and cancelled. One card with very low interest rate of 5%. One card that is linked to my bank account and one card with high borrowing limit for emergency.

One more question I would like to ask is it necessary to have credit cards? Personally I think it would be nice not to have one but the way the world is set up I think you need at least one card handy.

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

i dont have one yet, id like to have one mainly due to convienience for buying online, also be handy to have incase of an emergency, although my emergencies are probably like i need to get item X before that goes out of stock or before item Z comes in and previous item will be no longer on sale or harder to get XD

Signature Image

Quote by speedfreek19i dont have one yet, id like to have one mainly due to convienience for buying online, also be handy to have incase of an emergency, although my emergencies are probably like i need to get item X before that goes out of stock or before item Z comes in and previous item will be no longer on sale or harder to get XD

Convenience was one reason I got into trouble with my cards. Instead of counting your money in wallet you just whip out your card and say, "Charge it." ^_^'

kaozpowers

kaozpowers

ehh...

well i dont have a credit card. probably wont get one untill i go off to college or something. but yeah i will try to be careful, the last thing i would need is my credit card bill being bigger than my tuition.

If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first.

I am 19 years and I don't have a credit card yet T_T

Signature Image

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Are they necessary? Of coarse! I hardly carry cash around. My Visa is a check card so everything comes directly out of my checking, no monthly payments or interest. It's all already there! =^_^=

I think that's the best kind and the only one I'd use. That way you're not spending money you don't have, which is what gets people in trouble. I do have a real credit card though, the Military Star card that has really low interest. I have 2 monthly payments going on there so I'm never behind!

*very financially responsible*

So, I'm 21 and I don't have a credit card, and I'm really not too worried about it right now. I have no bill to pay and if I want something, I buy it with the little money that I have. Yeah it would be nice to have one but you know "once you start, you just can't stop" so I figure as long as I have my check card, I'll be fine for now and I won't be getting bills in the mail that I can't pay.

Signature

kuclo

kuclo

My broken wings

i think are necessaries , ,you don't need have 1000 dollars in your wallet and is better have a credit/debit card ,don't you think ?in my country yes,is dangerous get much money inmy wallet , i have debit and in the begining was very exited buy things so easy ,but was for a sohrt time ,is funny .and one or 2 are enough ,don't you think my dear friend?

Tienes el valor?o te vale
Signature
Remember minitokyo is just not another site ,it's a home ,enjoy being be member of this family

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

Quote by mughi

Quote by speedfreek19i dont have one yet, id like to have one mainly due to convienience for buying online, also be handy to have incase of an emergency, although my emergencies are probably like i need to get item X before that goes out of stock or before item Z comes in and previous item will be no longer on sale or harder to get XD

Convenience was one reason I got into trouble with my cards. Instead of counting your money in wallet you just whip out your card and say, "Charge it." ^_^'

haha yeah its like erm, ahh stuff it ill pay it later, bill comes round, erm ill just pay a bit XD

Signature Image

Quote by kaozpowerswell i dont have a credit card. probably wont get one untill i go off
to college or something. but yeah i will try to be careful, the last
thing i would need is my credit card bill being bigger than my tuition.

You're off to a good start. If you can follow my way when and if you get one then you will not get into debt but even better you will make credit card lose money on you. Either use credit card and pay it off next month or if you do big purchase do not use credit card until you pay it off.

Quote by MagicianFairyI am 19 years and I don't have a credit card yet T_T

I will not be surprised if you will not get an offer in the mail in the future. Credit card companies are getting rather desperate in finding new people to issue credit. In a way it is good you do not have credit card. You will not get in the mail bills. Isn't that good thing?

Quote by ShkiraAre they necessary? Of coarse! I hardly carry cash around. My Visa is a
check card so everything comes directly out of my checking, no monthly
payments or interest. It's all already there! =^_^= I think that's the
best kind and the only one I'd use. That way you're not spending money
you don't have, which is what gets people in trouble. I do have a real
credit card though, the Military Star card that has really low
interest. I have 2 monthly payments going on there so I'm never behind!
*very financially responsible*

You are the kind of customer credit card company hate and I salute you for that. :D

Quote by MorikodaSo, I'm 21 and I don't have a credit card, and I'm really not too
worried about it right now. I have no bill to pay and if I want
something, I buy it with the little money that I have. Yeah it would be
nice to have one but you know "once you start, you just can't stop" so
I figure as long as I have my check card, I'll be fine for now and I
won't be getting bills in the mail that I can't pay.

Good for you. If you can manage with what you have then you're off to good start on financial management. Many people get in trouble because they try to live beyond their means. ^_^'

Quote by kucloi think are necessaries , ,you don't need have 1000 dollars in your
wallet and is better have a credit/debit card ,don't you think ?in my
country yes,is dangerous get much money inmy wallet , i have debit and
in the begining was very exited buy things so easy ,but was for a sohrt
time ,is funny .and one or 2 are enough ,don't you think my dear friend?

You're right about that. Credit/debit card is better to have rather than carry lots of money in wallet. You're also correct in that most people can do with only one or two credit/debit cards but then credit card companies do not like that which is fine with me. :D

Shkira

Shkira

Cake!!

Quote by mughi
You are the kind of customer credit card company hate and I salute you for that. :D

I do my best to NOT conform to industries' expectations... ~_^

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

as a student, i have one, so i will not use it, so i never have to pay nothing, as for the rest, i will control my spending so i never have to use it!

i beleive it is totally unnecessary, but it can be convenient for me only if i am travelling...
the rest there is no justification on using it!

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

Chloe

Retired Moderator

Chloe

てめら~!!

A credit card? Ha! Nobody in their right mind would give me a credit card! I can't control myself >_<
I have problems holding on to and managing cash, so I'm sure that if I did get a credit card, I would be waaaaay in debt.
The only time I use a credit card is when buying from Amazon, and I use my mom's card (with her permission of course ^_^' )

Signature Image
Like video game posters? Click on my signature image!
Latest wallpaper: Red Ninja

I'm 18 and I don't have a credit card. I have no use for one.

i dont have a credit card and i dont plan on getting unless im going to go travel or i need one for an emergency because credit cards can really drag you under and my sister is finding that out the hard way

Quote by Devildudeas a student, i have one, so i will not use it, so i never have to pay nothing, as for the rest, i will control my spending so i never have to use it!

i beleive it is totally unnecessary, but it can be convenient for me only if i am travelling...
the rest there is no justification on using it!

Good for you. You have the right attitude not to get into financial trouble. :)

Quote by Chloe-chanA credit card? Ha! Nobody in their right mind would give me a credit card! I can't control myself &gt;_&lt;
I have problems holding on to and managing cash, so I'm sure that if I did get a credit card, I would be waaaaay in debt.
The only time I use a credit card is when buying from Amazon, and I use my mom's card (with her permission of course ^_^' )

At least, you recognize that you cannot manage credit card and took steps to keep it in check which is good. Some people (like me) had to get kick in the rear before taking corrective action. ^_^'

Quote by HumphroI'm 18 and I don't have a credit card. I have no use for one.

As long as you can avoid it that is good. America (United States) is so credit card happy that it is rediculous.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

SOME TIPS FOR n00bs LIKE US:

Have a max of 2 credit cards - avoid getting special store credit cards, they run a record check which lowers your credit score. Credit helps you buy future cars, homes, and other big purchases that ensures a trust in your ability to pay the amount due. The higher the rating you have, then better chance you have of getting those hard to get things that you will want in the future. Also, at a car dealership (if you ever go to one) DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR INFO carelessly, they will run your credit check and lower your score - score is important.

If ya guys want more info, for those that care, use google to find out the underlying scheme of credit. They are money thirsty businesses wanting to suck ya dry if you lack the knowledge. Edumicate yourselves about money matters, the lingo that the biz uses is designed to mislead/misinterpret to their advantage (there are many saps in the world).

-repeat-

Thanks for the info jasaiyajin. Credit card is a dangerous tool to an unwary customer. The allure of easy spending is so enticing when you get your first card. It is almost like a narcotic.

i have 3 and only owe a balance on one... i mainly used to play for my online game or emergencies.

"I've had too many stand-offs with you and its about as much as I can stand."

BlkLotus

BlkLotus

bara tsukiyo

ack credit cards .....bad things to have...
they are unneccasary(sorry for spelling) they are horrible things to have

I don't own a credit card at all. I could apply for one easily enough if I wanted one, and no doubt it would make things a whole lot more conveniant for buying from the internet, but at the end of the day I just don't think I need one... yet.

Quote by BlkLotusack credit cards .....bad things to have...
they are unneccasary(sorry for spelling) they are horrible things to have

Suffice to say that credit card was not created to the benefit of people. It was created for the benefit of business. Most people I'll bet have heard this pitch. "Why wait to buy what you want now. With credit card, you can get it right now and pay back in small monthly installment." Of course, it is [/img]YOUR responsibility to know what interest you are paying and believe me you can get clobbered pretty bad here.

Quote by crsgI don't own a credit card at all. I could apply for one easily enough if I wanted one, and no doubt it would make things a whole lot more conveniant for buying from the internet, but at the end of the day I just don't think I need one... yet.

As long as you are aware of pitfall of owning credit card then having only one might not be a bad idea. Just do what I do. Use card only for one transaction at a time and pay it off in full when the bill arrive. This achieve two purpose. One is that you will not be charged interest on your first billing and second, you will not be in debt. Credit card companies hate that but who cares about that?

i dont have a credit card and i dont ever intend on getting one because they give people the idea that they have money which they dont.

http://futurama-fan-group.minitokyo.net/ for all those who like futurama

Quote by mughiThanks for the info jasaiyajin. Credit card is a dangerous tool to an unwary customer. The allure of easy spending is so enticing when you get your first card. It is almost like a narcotic.

I think that depends on the person ^^ Like I got my first credit card through my bank last year. I had to go in to talk to them directly about some other things and the man who was talking to me advised me to start one for use in the future. I was like "okay..." since they base everything on your credit history and all that.

Anyways, since mine is only a student visa with a low limit ($500) I don't really use it. But I do try to use it once or twice a month so I do get some history for it, like when I pay for gas or buy something online. But once my bill comes in, I always always always pay the full amount so that I don't have interest building up. I messed up like one month cuz I was a day late, but thankfully that bill was rather small.

It's not necessary, but it is convenient. For example, my uncle doesn't have a credit card, so he ends up carrying cash every where he goes. But personally, I feel safer carrying a card then like a wad of cash. Recently, I purchased an external HD because I was really wanting one. It was like close to $200, to which I used my VISA for. I don't think I would have wanted to carry that amount with me in cash.

For me, I'm really careful with what I use it for. haha, I have this thing against signing my name so I rather use my debit card XD But I do use my credit card sometimes. Before all my purchases (whether paying with cash, debit or credit), I make sure I have enough money for it and that I really really want it. That way, I'm not overspending or wasting money on things that I'll end up thinking of as garbage in the future. I dunno. That's just me though! I know some people who go crazy with their credit cards... Like my sister ^^;;;

How you spend your money and use your credit cards will be reflective of how you value things or what you value. I mean, cuz I pay for my own VISA bill. So if I'm not willing to pay 'x' amount of money for the item in question in the first place, I'm not going to use my credit card to buy it. In the end, I still have to pay for it. Anyways, kinda ranting here now so I'll stop >.>

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 47 total items

Back to Shopping & Food | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.