Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 AMD 64 problems! - Minitokyo

AMD 64 problems!

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Nucleous

Nucleous

I will be taking you to.....

I am looking to buy an AMD 64 but I just want to find out what is the difference between the Socket 754 and Socket 939 chipsets that have been released I have asked around at stores and friends who run AMD64 about it and eveybody tells me there is no difference then why is the prices different the S939 is so much more expensive.

If anyone can clear up this for me it would be great!
I am thinking of buying the AMD 64 3000+ Socket 939 chip.

SMILE, even through your tears!!!!!
Life is not Measured by the number of Breaths we
take, but by the Moments that Take our Breath Away.

754 doesn't support dual channel RAM and it basically has no upgrade path. If you buy a 939 board you can drop in a dual core AMD X2 when they come down to a reasonable price.

Socket 939 will still be supported in future development where as s754 will not. s939 is the way to go unless you are looking to as cheap as possible in which case s754 (or even the older s462 - AXP) will fit the bill more easily.

Cheers!

Socket 939 motherboards supports SLI*
While socket 754 does not.

*SLI needs a SLI ready motherboard. The motherboard
needs to have 2 PCIe x16 slots.

Signature

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Yup, 939 supports dual channel memory, 754 does not and if you get a NF4 SLI chipset you can use SLI video cards. However since you are aiming for a 3000+ A64 I'm guessing spending $900 on video cards is out of the question. So if you want to stick with AGP you can get a Nforce 3 motherboard and either stick with your current AGP video card or get a new AGP video card. If you have the money though, it would be well worth your while to get a NF4 motherboard and a single PCIe video card along with the new CPU. One thing you should never try to save money on too much is system memory, get at least 1 GB if you want windows to run well. When you eventually get a 64bit operating system you might even want to get 2 GB of RAM.

Signature Image

Quote by Nucleous
If anyone can clear up this for me it would be great!
I am thinking of buying the AMD 64 3000+ Socket 939 chip.

go it!not regret dude..

AJS13

AJS13

Wondering Samurai

Yea get the 939, I know Im going to with an 3500+ tho, and SLI

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

greatdragon

Mr. Doom

939 is too much better

There's No place like hell

as everyone has said 939 is a new way to go...
They will bedeveloping 939 a bit more before its droped for a new socket.
Most new items come on 939 as well. So if u want to upgrade in the future and keep same mobo get 939!

and there's where i made the big mistake :'(
buy an 939 and you won't regred it even tough it's more expencive

Nucleous

Nucleous

I will be taking you to.....

Thanks all that makes things alot clearer for me!

I'll get the 939 I'm happy with current graphics card
256Mb GeForce FX 6800gt I'll wait before getting SLI it's still very expencive
in this country I'm living in, a hell-hole called South-Africa.

SMILE, even through your tears!!!!!
Life is not Measured by the number of Breaths we
take, but by the Moments that Take our Breath Away.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

If your video card is an AGP card make sure you get a 939 motherboard with an AGP slot, that means you need to get one with the Nforce 3 chipset NOT the Nforce 4 chipset since the Nforce 4 does not support AGP, only PCIe. And if your video card is a PCIe then the reverse is true, get a Nforce 4 since the Nforce 3 does not support PCIe.

Also note you can't use SLI on an AGP card/system, thats for PCIe only.

Signature Image

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Quote by chingetscook
Also note you can't use SLI on an AGP card/system, thats for PCIe only.

Yes you can Voodoo2 :)

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Just when you thought you had me... the voodoo2 doesn't count because it was PCI only, it was before AGP so I am still right, you can't use SLI with AGP video cards.. ;)

I have a voodoo2 sitting on a shelf in my room, a Diamond Monster 3DII 8 MB that I preordered as soon as I heard about the V2! Those were the days, when 3dfx was in it's prime and it was easy to pick what video card you needed because there was the voodoo2 and then there was nothing else even remotely close to power or quality.

Signature Image

Taurec

Taurec

BAKA^2

Actually, it's how you would interpret the first thing you claimed.

You can have a AGP card and have 2 V2 running next to it (PCI) Because Glide Applications bypass the AGP card completely.

I never stated it was possible to run 2 AGP cards in SLI ... perhaps with AGPe

XP

- Too bad stupidity isn't painful

Airrrrrrr

M2 socket coming out early next year

*just a heads up for those not in the know*

page 1 of 1 16 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.