Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Chibi Warbirds Wallpaper Works - Minitokyo

Chibi Warbirds Wallpaper Works

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Well, it took me about a week of long work, but I've finished the wallpaper I promised. However, before I submit it to MiniTokyo, I'd like some input on a few details.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4241/chibiwarbirdswallsmall29xz.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6296/chibiwarbirdswallsmall7wg.jpg

Which one looks better? The one with the name of the wallpaper in the image or the one without? Also, should I keep the names of the airplanes or cut them out? Any helpful tips would be appreciated beyond that.

Tokitoh

Tokitoh

onmyoji

Oookay. Actually, I don't think you should submit it. No offence, but this wallpaper seems to be a low effort one. I believe that it took you a week to make, but the wallpaper still looks like it's a low effort one... if I were a mod... um, but I am not a mod so don't worry about it. =D

The extraction is fine, not perfect, but fine if you are a beginner. ^__^
The font face seems okay, but I don't see a reason to put the text on the wallpaper. It's not like I, for example, want to learn the names of the characters.
The drop shadow effect. I really don't like it. If you want a realistic shadow, it is much better to draw one yourself. Besides, it looks like the characters are just hanging above the boring bg.
The background looks boring. I mean, you took a few images, resized them, applied one effect, arranged the images... randomly and then filled a layer with white color and lowered the transparency.

If I wanted to make a chibi wall, I would make a better bg. I am not sure about a particular idea for this, but you can try a traced outdoors scenery or some very very neat abstract background. I mean, be creative. ^__^ Judging from this wall, you have a decent amount of skill and I am sure you can make a beautiful wallpaper. ^__^

Signature

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Quote by TokitohOookay. Actually, I don't think you should submit it. No offence, but this wallpaper seems to be a low effort one. I believe that it took you a week to make, but the wallpaper still looks like it's a low effort one... if I were a mod... um, but I am not a mod so don't worry about it. =D

The extraction is fine, not perfect, but fine if you are a beginner. ^__^
The font face seems okay, but I don't see a reason to put the text on the wallpaper. It's not like I, for example, want to learn the names of the characters.
The drop shadow effect. I really don't like it. If you want a realistic shadow, it is much better to draw one yourself. Besides, it looks like the characters are just hanging above the boring bg.
The background looks boring. I mean, you took a few images, resized them, applied one effect, arranged the images... randomly and then filled a layer with white color and lowered the transparency.

If I wanted to make a chibi wall, I would make a better bg. I am not sure about a particular idea for this, but you can try a traced outdoors scenery or some very very neat abstract background. I mean, be creative. ^__^ Judging from this wall, you have a decent amount of skill and I am sure you can make a beautiful wallpaper. ^__^

Well, thanks. *sarcasm* But let me justify the methods that I've used. When you have images like this that were originally on a monocolored background, it is very difficult to get the extraction perfect. That alone took me three days of polygonal lasso and eraser tool at 800%.

I wanted to include the names because I'm a WWII buff. I'm especially an enthusiast about the air war, which was my original boost to put so much effort into making this. But I suppose I can create another version that does not include the aircraft names.

As for the drop shadow effect, I wanted it to look like the characters are "hanging above the boring bg." They're airplanes! As for drawing my own shadow, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As for the background, that took a long time to look for good images that would fit the theme. If you didn't notice, all of the aircraft in the background are in the same order as their foreground counterparts (but I'm sure you did notice). All in all, this wallpaper is supposed to be very "oxymoron"-ish. At least that's the way I was going with the idea originally. I mean, war machines like the aircraft of WWII are not supposed to be chibi. But your idea of changing the background to traced outdoors scenery wouldn't fit the theme at all.

In closing, I do appreciate your suggestions even though it would probably seem that I'm just blowing you off. Because I'm not ignoring you. I'll take your advice into consideration and make some revisions.

merged: 11-06-2005 ~ 01:06am
Okay. I have two revisions.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7726/chibiwarbirdswallsmall1fy.jpg
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5897/chibiwarbirdswallsmall21by.jpg

I'm looking for more helpful tips. Come on. Somebody give me a few pointers that don't ruin the mood I'm going for in the wallpaper.

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Okay well I'm only going to be making *SUGGESTIONS* - you can disagree with me if you want, but I will be evaluating your wallpapers like I usually do.

WALLPAPER ONE

* The general concept is not bad. But it's too busy. The scans are tiny and there are way too many of them- it really messes up the focus. This is affecting the composition of your wallpaper, NOT the low effort factor. I can very well tell that you spent a lot of time extracting each one - that's effort. But the poor composition lies in the fact that you have too many focal points. Usually if you have more than one scan, one should stand out the most and then the rest of the scans should let you trail AROUND the wallpaper--- there is no one point that stands out to me... so it is a bit messy in the sense of composition.

* The background- if you want it to feature those images, would have to be the same size--- each tile should at least be the same size.

* Having too much text is not a good idea. I would remove all those little titles because they are pretty distracting.

* The font is not something I would go for... these are chibis... Something round and cute or round and tech would be better than cursive.

* The background images of the planes.... hmmm... well they aren't too bad. I see you used something like a crosshatch filter on them... but yeah... chibis and realistic looking planes? That's a bit random to me. Affects the overall appearance.

* And just a filter on a background is not enough btw. You might need to download some brushes--- because you kinda cut the planes out and filtered them ... and that's about it >_> I don't know what else you did with them... I just can't tell... so if I can't tell then chances of others seeing that is pretty small ^_^'

* I know you like the drop shadows, but I don't see the point in using them. They do take up a bit of space but they don't look that great at all... since this is a light wallpaper, why have chunks of darkness on it? I know you wanted them to hover above the wallpaper.... but generally shadows are not good things to use in a wallpaper-

WALLPAPER TWO

* Ah. This is a continuation of the first one I spose with different characters.

OVERALL

If you divided up the background titles evenly and placed each chibi inside them, that would be a LOT better than what it is now. I know you probably left some space on the left for icons but it doesn't look too good when it comes to balance. The composition I feel still needs to be worked on... but I hate to say it because you spent so much time on it and seem so locked on target aiming for this type of wallpaper.

There's not much really for me to say on this... I wouldn't use it because it's too busy... that's probably the main thing about this.

Recently in the Sandbox there was a member who submitted a Gals! wallpaper with chibis... they were small but placed symmetrically around a circle (the world) - that made for much more balance, and didn't distract, because the centre (the globe image) then made you trace around the circle to look at each scan.

Here however everything is in rows so I feel like I'm reading a book... it's quite disharmonious as well because I'm not doing a trail... rather just rows.

I hope that has given you some ideas... and just on that note about those who come here in the Sandbox, you have lots of potential, just for using this Sandbox- so keep up the great work :) Kudos ^_^

merged: 11-06-2005 ~ 09:43am
PS: Tokitoh meant using a pentool and tracing over the shadows... because everything in this wallpaper is sharp edged, but the shadows are feather/ soft edged- kinda contradicts the idea of mechy sharpness if you know what I mean ;) On that note, the tiles should also have sharp edges... no need to blend them into each other... it's obvious they are different, so you might as well keep all the edges sharp.

I also forgot to mention that the chibis are differently sized and sometimes not lined in a straight row--- so that might be accounted for :) Once again, kudos for posting ^.^V

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

MarlinWahoo

MarlinWahoo

Lord of the Roc

Quote by kuroimisa

WALLPAPER TWO

* Ah. This is a continuation of the first one I spose with different characters.

Actually, WP2 is just a clone of the first with the text gone. The reason each of the characters is so small is I've only been able to find a scan of all of them at once. That makes each character about 300x300 on the full-sized version. I guess the next step is responding to your criticism. However, I do see what you mean when you say that the wallpaper is boring because it's organized. I never really looked at it that way. The reason that the background is so random, though is because I didn't want people to look at the background. I wanted it to fade out. You also made a perfect statement when you said that the realistic planes and the chibis don't go together. That's the whole idea behind this wallpaper. It's supposed to be funny because these are nonsensical chibi warplanes. I suppose it might be beyond most people's imagination. I think it's funny because I'm a WWII historian of sorts. I wonder if the original content base for my design was just flawed and I should just give up now. ?

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Ah.... that clarifies a lot then :)

Well to me, the original composition was a bit messy- I don't think you should exactly "give up" on it because the extraction was done so well. Rather if you thought of a more suitable background and arrangement of the chibis, it would probably make a lot more sense.

I've seen some chibi wallpapers that were done pretty well... so I don't see why there should be any reason why this one shouldn't be too :)

I'm pretty confused on what other suggestions I can possibly make... but here are three chibi wallpapers I think that were done pretty well - and by well I don't mean exceptionally well, I mean that it passes the "okay" and aren't too badly composed :)

This one uses a scenic... it's not too bad considering the first thing I see is the floating Gundam and then I notice the row of chibis :) The perspective is done well, so that the row on the left is smaller than that on the right... just to also balance out that huge Gundam :)
http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/116046.jpg

This was the Gals! wallpaper I was talking about that used to be in the Sandbox :) It's simple, I look at the globe and trail around it :D

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/190884.jpg

Here's one final one... I don't really like the overall composition of it (and the author knows that :P) The focus to me is that centre light burst thing... (it's not centred perfectly though which bothers me a bit, but pretend it is centred)
This is another background design you can consider, though I still think it lacks something at the top... it's too empty at the top, but it's an idea nevertheless:

http://download.minitokyo.net:8001/thumbs/143347.jpg

It'd be a shame if you just left that wallpaper--- I'm positive that there's something else you could do with them... but I hope this helps a bit :)

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.