Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Anybody used 'The Geek Squad?' - Minitokyo

Anybody used 'The Geek Squad?'

page 1 of 1 13 total items

...and if so, what was your experience with them like?

I've used them once, though I'll hold off on my opinion so as not to skew anything right off the bat. I figured this might be helpful to other computer users for one reason or another down the road if they're thinking about calling them.

NO!

After seeing their commercial, which is crapastic. I've decided to stay as far
away from them as possible. XP

According to their site, which is ridiculious... :D

It states their geek squad agents can
-Bring your computer up-to-date
-Make nonprinting printers print

How can they get my PC up to date,
if I don't want to spend money on upgrading?

If my printer has been dead for almost 2 years!
What are they going to make it work?
Sprinkle on some geeksquad magic dust?!

C'mon some of these claims are just not possible!

Signature

Yeah i have to agree with tikj225....
I dont really need the geek squad caz well im sorta one of them... me and my freind fix all our friends comptures... well the ones that are not comp. literate ne ways... but i dont feel like paying cash for something i can do myself....
Ne ways its good to format ur comp every 8-12 months or so too keep it fresh i find ^^

The Geek Squad is a best buy technician force. If they can make a dollar off it, they will. It's a cheaper way (on the outside) of getting in-home service to you. I've heard many things. All I'll ever say is this; if there comes a time where the resources on the net can't help me fix something I personally don't know how to...it's time to buy a new computer! :D

Geek Squad = people you really need to be carefull around...my friends have had serious problems with them on very simple things

SilentKnight

SilentKnight

Spit Fire Like Dhalsim

dude, my brother in law alone is equivalent to all of Geek Squad combined.
the stuff that they can do for you isnt worth the money you spend. you might as well just get on the internet, search for a message board and ask for free help there. chances are you'll get more out of doing that than shelling out a few bucks.

Leader of the Hip Hop And Rap Alliance: http://hiphopandrapalliance.minitokyo.net/
Signature Image

I'm afraid that I've really got to agree with much of what has been said. I had a hard-drive crash about a month ago and after running a diagnostic on my machine that was pretty much all I could come up with -- that the hard drive was bad.

I took it in expecting that maybe they'd be able to do some high-tech (beyond my ability) puttering around inside the system to tell me more, but all they did to my knowledge was run the exact same diagnostic test (which they started right in front of me else it would've been a 7-14 day wait), tell me that my "hard drive was bad" (which is what I told them I figured was the case off the bat) and charge me $60+. No insight into why it crashed, no attempt to tell me if anything was recoverable, no suggestions whatsoever ('because I didn't pay for that').

But they did have the hard drive upgrade available for me to purchase...

Anyhow, not my best experience with them out of the gate. And I ended up having a friend help me out from that point.

My apologies for the cynicism (as I generally dislike the stuff) but I wasn't impressed in the least.

I see that one other person has used them and wasn't really satisfied. Anyone else have a better experience or does this seem to be par for the course as far as you're concerned?

Thanks folks.

My bro and I went to Geek Squad for his comp. They said a whole bunch of crap that we already tried and when we saw what they wanted to charge us we decided that they were a total waste of money. So we went to a computer science professor and he told us how to fix it and we spent a quarter of what Geek Squad wanted.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

I have no need for such a thing, most people around here call me when they have a PC problem. I've had people IM me on AIM for help solving their tech problems and I have come up with solutions in minutes when in store techs were unable to figure it out in days.

Signature Image

Quote by chingetscookI have no need for such a thing, most people around here call me when they have a PC problem. I've had people IM me on AIM for help solving their tech problems and I have come up with solutions in minutes when in store techs were unable to figure it out in days.

Seems appropriate given the technology-savvy character in your avatar. Wish I could say I was as good with computer technology.

Though, in this case, it appears I'm just as capable as the Geek Squad turned out to be. I just found out that was the case after shelling out 60+ bucks, and finding out just how little they actually did.

I doubt that the geek squad has ne real tech background...
most people look in forums bout comp stuff or have computers as a hobby will beable to know more than geek squad....
really its kinda sad!

Meh I am in the geek squad I have a computer background. I've built computers, helped people with issues plenty of times before and most of my friends praise me though having computer background isnt only what they look for in geek squad.

One of problem with geek squad is that its forces all of the Employee's there to sell their services to the customers (we have a quota to accomplish daily). So instead of working and fixing the computers each of us have to take half of the time attending to customers which can be time consuming and makes the workplace a bit disorganized. There is also procedure we have to follow to determine the problem.

I have to the say the major problems with the computers coming in is Spyware, Virus, Harddrive failure.

I thought job was about fixing computers and I barely get 2 computers fixed in 4 hours because I hardly able to sit with the computers long enough before I have to go do something else.

Though Geek squad is cheaper than most PC shops around the area so I have to say you get what you pay for.

P.S. the Shear volume of computers to be fixed is mountainous today we had like 50 computers still in queue. So that plus disorganization really hurts the geek squad.

chingetscook

chingetscook

Net Slacker

Quote by Texcap

Quote by chingetscookI have no need for such a thing, most people around here call me when they have a PC problem. I've had people IM me on AIM for help solving their tech problems and I have come up with solutions in minutes when in store techs were unable to figure it out in days.

Seems appropriate given the technology-savvy character in your avatar. Wish I could say I was as good with computer technology.

Though, in this case, it appears I'm just as capable as the Geek Squad turned out to be. I just found out that was the case after shelling out 60+ bucks, and finding out just how little they actually did.

Heh, my avatar isn't Edward from bebop, it's Kiki Rosita from Gundam 08th MS team. ;) Most people think it's edward though. If I wanted a super tech savy avatar I'd use Ein. XD

Just fixed someone's computer today, they could connect to the internet but couldn't get any pages to show up, I showed them how to open internet explorer and it was all fixed.

Signature Image

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.