Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Traditional or Digital. - Minitokyo

Traditional or Digital.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

I am currently in an animation class where the majority of the projects we do are digital, 3D animation, flash, .gif animation transitions and what-nots between scenes using finalcut, rotoscoping (if that is spelled right) and all that jazz. Last year i was in another animation class that was more traditional, with everything hand drawn, on paper or celluloid, or on the film directly, blah blah blah. With extensive experience in both i would like to ask what others think about these two processes.

Which form do you find more difficult?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of either form?
What form do you feel requires more skill?
What form do you find more appealing?

Take into consideration there are various techniques in each form, and i am only asking these questions out of curiousity. Well then. Keep it real.

Signature

Jormungandr

Jormungandr

Child of Deceit

well, obviously the process of using celluloids, etc, is manually more difficult... however, using digital media is certainly more difficult to get to the point that it looks the same quality... hence, it really becomes a question of which area one wants to specialize in. they use slightly different skill sets. thus, the question of which takes more skill is somewhat moot.

that being said, i have yet to see a decent-looking long animation that leans more towards the digital side than the traditional one.

Signature

Confucius says, shit happens.

I don't really directly prefer one over another. As long as the final product looks good in relation to my standards, it's still okay with me. hehe

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

It depends I seen both but rulgar animations is the best but takes the most skill.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

Rennard

Rennard

The Captain

I like to traditional media as a base for any of my work. I find it's easier to create lots of different ideas and concepts on a piece of paper instead of doing it digital which I feel would have to be more premeditated, although there is just playing around to see what you come up with, but I prefer planned out.

However, it's a lot easier to change things digital after the concept has been developed. You can resize it or crop it or do anything with it, whereas if it's all drawn out, it might be a pain to change it, especially if it's something done in ink.

I think both areas would require some skill. Traditional you have to know to control your drawing and be able to draw something that is proportional, or perspectively right. As for digital, you have to know the program you are using and learning it can be a skill, and not everyone is tech savvy.

So yeah, I like traditional, but if I messed up on the size of a hand I did, I'll go over to photo shop and do a simple resize instead of trying to tediously redraw it.

Note: I'm speaking pretty general here, not just in reference to animation.

hongrboi

hongrboi

getting pwned by school

I am a digital artist because my 'traditional' skills are really bad. I respect traditional style artists more though because it's a lot of hard work.

"Once two star have collided and return to their orbit, the chance of colliding again is infinity small, for there are many other possible collisions."
Signature Image
Latest wall ::A Void in my Heart::

INeedABeer

INeedABeer

Crazy, perverted white boy.

I'd say digital art. one reason is that traditional art is much more accesible.. say you could pick up a pencil and start doodling in class, or pretty much anywhere pull out a pad... another one is that with digital art, i've found it's much harder to make smooth lines. and lineart is the basics of the piece.

A signature??? why would i need one of those? Blasphemy, I say...

Personally, I think both are equal, but digital is consider a low level of art. In teh past, some kind paintings suffer the same, remember. But I prefer digital, because some times is easier to represent your Ideas and faster, with a great result.

ajb

ajb

mr.hat

nowadays even if its done traditional, the end product will end up digital...
wut kind of animation r u talkin bout exactly?

if its object or type animation, i'd go wit digital

if it has to deal wit drawings of characters, i'm stickin wit my pen until i can get a good tablet (or a crappy tablet at least)

Traditional

Signature

Very explicative tiki223, but why do you prefer traditional?

ajb

ajb

mr.hat

Quote by cahuacVery explicative tiki223, but why do you prefer traditional?

maybe hes one of those ppl who think that technology is eeeeevil ^___~

For me the traditional still better. Its more difficult, the digital art have some incridable results, but nothing as a good traditional graphics. The better is none of both, but both together

art is like videogames. YOU have to own (paint) all, consoles and games

JAJAJJAJAJA funny, but real

merged: 11-17-2005 ~ 11:31am
this is a great topic to talk about and express your opinion.

So, tell us whet do you think?

I'm also an animation student...but I learn tradional ways up until the drawing part while the rest are all digitally done. For me, digital is good every now and then but I prefer old ways, shooting using cameras...if u r a serious film maker...it's best for the traditional way...but just a normal animator...digitally...
Also, I pretty much found out that nothing beats the traditional way...

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.