Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Gundam -- Your help please! - Minitokyo

Gundam -- Your help please!

page 1 of 1 14 total items

When I was younger, my area got ROBOTECH, but unfortunately GUNDAM missed us completely. As a result, despite the fact that I've been around anime for 20+ years I've never had the chance to really catch any of the incarnations of the various series' beyond an episode here or there. And when it gained added popularity with a younger crowd, at that point, it was just another series (viewing it from afar) that I needed to catch up on. But I'm told I need to make it a priority to see these.

Sounds good to me.

So, as a GUNDAM fan, what would you reccommend most?

Where should I (or an unitiated fan) start?

I know I'd like to get the original series because I'm a sucker for the 'old stuff' but what would you reccommend beyond that.

Related to the question, what is it about GUNDAM that you folks enjoy as much?

Thanks!

destati

Yuusha-Oh

Ok, quick overview: Gundam has several different timelines, grouped broadly into UC (Universal Century) and AU (Alternate Universe). The main UC series are the original MSG, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, Char's Counterattack, and V Gundam. UC sidestories include 0080: War in a Pocket, 08th MS Team, 0083: Stardust Memories, and F91 Gundam. There's also a couple of manga additions, most notably Crossbone Gundam. The AU series are Gundam X, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam SEED/Destiny.

Starting with the original is never a bad idea; however, rather than the series, go for the compilation movies, which replace the series in canon IIRC. After MSG comes Zeta, which many people consider to be the best Gundam series of them all. A boxset was recently released for Zeta as well, if you buy legit stuff. The problem with the UC timeline is that it's huge, and requires a considerable investment of both time and money. ZZ and up haven't been licensed or released in the US (with the exception of Char's Counterattack, a movie). F91 was planned for a full series, but was cut short to a movie. By the time V Gundam rolled around, the UC series weren't connected at all (as opposed to MSG, Z, ZZ, and CCA, all of which have directly connected), so much so that V felt like an AU anyway.

The AUs are nice in that they are all independent, with the exception of Gundam SEED and SEED Destiny. SEED starts off pretty weakly, feeling a bit like a retelling of the original Gundam, but ends rather well. Destiny is the opposite, starting out incredibly well but falling flat on its face in the last 10 or so episodes. Gundam Wing is a nice place to start. G Gundam is rather different from the other series in that it is a super robot show, rather than a real robot one. Expect cheesy dialogue, shouting attacks, and hot blood. In short, G Gundam has more in common with GaoGaiGar than it does with Zeta Gundam. I'm personally watching Gundam X at the moment, and am loving it.

Turn A is a different beast altogether. This was Tomino's attempt to link the various Gundam universes, and it spawned the 'Turn A Bang' theory, which places UC and AU series in a direct timeline. Some people don't accept the theory, though. Furthermore, Turn A has by far the strangest designs, and is much more character driven than the other Gundams.

So, I'd say start with the MSG compilation movies, then go for some OYW sidestories, namely 08th MS Team and 0080, both of which are great series. Then Zeta if you want to continue UC, or Gundam Wing or G Gundam.

Lacuslover81

Lacuslover81

One big and true lover of Lacus

I reocommend all the gundam series except for Gu Gundam but it is fun if you want to see it make your own opinion on it.

A true lover of Lacus Member of Kira-and-Lacus-in-Love

Quote by destatiSo, I'd say start with the MSG compilation movies, then go for some OYW sidestories, namely 08th MS Team and 0080, both of which are great series. Then Zeta if you want to continue UC, or Gundam Wing or G Gundam.

First off, very helpful run-down so thanks for that and the reccommendations.

With the sea of GUNDAM out there, much of which you put into perspective, it's good to have a launching point -- which I'll try to make the compilation movies if I can help it.

Also, I had heard great things about MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM 08th MS TEAM, so glad to see that make the list.

Thanks again!

arashiyuki

arashiyuki

Sparkly Bishounen~*

Personally, I think you should start off with Gundam Seed, which is what originally got me into the whole Gundam world in the first place, and happens to be my favourite series ^^ Beyond that, it depends on what you're into... if you're a fan of Super Robot style anime, check out G Gundam. For a more light hearted plot (and the cutest couple ever), check out Gundam X. Zeta Gundam definitely strikes me as one of the best when it comes to the more serious side of Gundam plots, but you should watch the MSG movies first to fully enjoy it. Beyond that, 0083 is a nice self contained series, with great animation and the feel of an American fighter plane movie XD

But yeah, start with Seed and work your way from there I say. Wing is possibly the Gundam series I dislike the most, but it does pick up around episode 40 or so...

"Chire, senbonzakura"

WAI, Byakuya-sama <3 <3 <3

I've only watched Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed. I don't really like old ones anyways. I recommend Gundam Seed definetly. The story seems to have a deeper meaning then gundam wing. Also Gundams in Gundam Seed looks so much powerful than ones in Gundam wing

? ???? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??? ??? ?? ? ????? ?? ?????

ZhuangQuan

ZhuangQuan

Believe in What You Believe

I have only watch Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. I would recommend Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. Cause to me they are more interesting then the olds Gundam

newer gundams are worth watching. gundam seed, gundam seed destiny and gundam wing. turn a gundam isnt worth watching... i couldnt finish it myself

NewLondenion

NewLondenion

Chairman of Side 7

Although I get a good amount of enjoyment from some of the U.C. series and movies (0083:Stardust Memory, 08th MS Team, Char's Counterattack) I have to say that both of the Gundam Seed series has been really interesting and fullfilling to watch because fo the attitude. In the U.C. series, the conflicts started out and continued on as a fight between those living on Earth and colonists in space. It was all politics. In Gundam Wing, the conflict is similar except for one difference; the leaders of both powers intended to fight the war to end all wars and promote and idea of pacifism. The only problem with Wing is that some of the major combat actions are potholed with extended dialogue and constant talks about the meaning of wars and wars in general. But definitely get the movie Endless Waltz, the gundams were reworked and the animation is awesome compared to the series.

In the Gundam Seed series the fight is much more personal: Natural humans vs. genetically modified humans or Coordinators. At the center of the story are two friends, both coordinators, who find themselves at opposite ends of the war. It's been said that the original Gundam Seed copies off of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but that is only have true. The series takes a very dramatic and shocking turn towards the end of it and carries over into the sequel series Gundam Seed Destiny. I have to say that Destiny is one of the better of the Gundam series. If you watch it you should understand.

Quite honestly, I am not a fan of 50-52 episode series. But Destiny was the first one that I could watch and that kept dragging me in to it. The mobile suit desgins were also very awesome with newer and newer mobile suits making their appearances towards the middle and later part of the series.

But by all means, stay away from G Gundam. If you desperately wanna check out a series that features Gundams fighting DBZ style, go right ahead. But I warn you, it is not an enjoyable series overall and is a little too kiddish.

Thanks again for all the additional replies (and feel free to keep 'em coming if you've got them). Very helpful.

And where G GUNDAM is concerned, yea, that's one of them that I'll probably be passing by. Good or bad, I've never been able to enjoy DRAGONBALL Z (though I'm on board with some other series' the creators have been involved with) and I've seen enough of the previews for G GUNDAM over the years to know well enough that it wasn't for me.

No offense to anyone that may enjoy it, I just don't think I"m really the demographic in my late-20's, or given my specific tastes in anime.

You should buy a gundam wing box set which when first released was $200(dollars) and start watching gundam seed which is airing on cartoon network right now if you like what you see go back and buy the DVDs but the problem is that they arent in the beginning and without the beginning your gonna be going what the **** throughout the series. they havent even started with gundam seed destiny and it wont be available on DVD for a pretty long time. i have watched the entire gundam wing, gundam seed and gundam seed destiny series gundam wing got me hooked i highly recommend it. as for the others i havent watched them unfortunately i am not in a position to get them. and remember with the exception of the cosmic era series they are a chain and you are going to want to see what happens. hope you end up loving gundam as much as i do.

Everyone else told you this and i totally agree stay away from G gundam it will lead you to hate gundam series it is lame in my opinion if you want to watch it you can i cant stop you but i dont advise you to.

Gressini

Gressini

Tokimeki No Hakumi

for me the best series is Gundam Wing and Seed Series.

'Signature Image'
Tokimeki No Hakumi

SoulScholar

SoulScholar

NAVI-Gator

Gundam Wing is probably one of the best. Gundam Seed and Destiny arent as good, but still good too see. The other Gundam series arent that great, they were made really early. Although I cant remember which series it was, but the one with Amuro Ray is supposedly a good one.

Thx to Rebel-Soul-Kaze for the awesome av and sig! <3 always chichiri~
Signature
+ Userguide to MT3 + Forum Guidelines + MT Policy + Support and Inquiry + Complaints + FAQs +

champ0342

champ0342

Anime's Beeotch

I really favor the gundam seed and gundam seed destiny. I didn't like gundam wing tho

Signature
www.transluscent.net/perspective/
Gain a little Perspective

page 1 of 1 14 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.