Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Spring 2006 Course Roster - Minitokyo

Spring 2006 Course Roster

page 1 of 1 13 total items

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

For those of you in school, the spring term should have begun by now, which for many students means working out course schedules and shopping around for classes. So, here are a few questions to toss out to you all:

1. What courses are you taking?
2. Which of your courses do you enjoy the most? Do you think this course will be useful to you in the future?
3. Which of your courses do you enjoy the least? Why are you taking this course?

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

SilentMasamune

SilentMasamune

I'm all washed up. . .

My current courses are Islamic Cultures, Intro to US Politics, International Short Stories, and Art History Survey 2.

Islamic Cultures is a humanities course that helps students become familiar with a foundation of the Islamic ways of life in addition to knowing some of the vocabulary of Islam.

Intro to US Politics is a very interesting course to me because we analyze the arguments being made and counter-respond to any questions being asked or any information being put out. Moreover, we determine falsity of arguments in the class.

International Short Stories is a pretty good course that requires reading and writing. A proficiency exam was provided prior to the actual start of the course to determine how well the students could read and write.

Art History Survey 2 is a course in which the students analyze different graphics over the Modern Era for art as well as memorize who was the creator of the art and when it was created.

I know I will enjoy the Intro to US Politics course considering I will be reading into the New York Times and the Washington Post for information. In addition, we all await the president's State of the Union speech next Tuesday, so that will provide further discussion for all people. This course will be truly useful for me in the future because I would acquire a broader aspect of what politics is truly about.

The class I enjoy the least is Art History Survey 2. The teacher is not very funny at all, and she doesn't make the class interesting in any way. It's all lecture and no turning back, as if she expects us to know everything on the spot. That is one class in which the students are better off learning on their own. This is a course that is required for my major which is graphic design, but it is in no way related to what I intend to do for my major.

Signature Image
Support Limerock Cafe - full feature forum and gallery

tsubasawingjing

tsubasawingjing

bird without wings...

hmm....ok
1. I'm taking Multimedia Design course now...just first year
2. i'm also enjoy graphic Design course also,i have take this course before...i think i'll
find the job about design one in the future,so now is are very useful also.
3.hmm...most enjoy the Multimedia,can learn many software...but still in learning,not
very similiar on it...^^; of cause this course is my interest,i like drawing very much,also hope can found some fun at there! :D

~minna-san if got time can come and visit my gallery...~ ^_^ thanks u very much
my gallery
Signature Image

kawaiiguy

kawaiiguy

Objective reviewer

...Class?

:D

Signature Image

.:Administrator and contributer of the Minitokyo-review::Proud helper of Chaos-Cross - Help make MT a better place!:.

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

1)Right now I'm taking a computer course which basically teachs you all about windows and all the many programs there are

intro to criminal investigation- that's pretty self exclamatory it deals with criminal justice and all that goes on in the justice system

business law- deals with the law aspect of business and different cases that have come up in dealing with breaches of contracts etc.

philosophy:metaphysics- not really sure what this course is supposed to teach it's philosophy

theology- this is more of a why do we believe what we do rather then just a regular historical class on chiristianity

2)Right now I really enjoy my intro to criminal justice and business law class. They are just so exciting to learn just the different aspects of our justice system. It also really helpful since I hope to persue a career in law enforcement

3) I really don't like philosophy. My professor is reather dull and at times it seems as if she doesn't even know the text which doesn't help at all since I find philosophy rather boring. I enjoyed my other philosophy class because the professor amde it interseting. This class it's just facts being bombarded at you in the hopes that some will atleast be absorbed.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

tanteikun

tanteikun

Kawaikunai!

Well, let me start by saying i am an ORIE major in school
ORIE stands for Operations Research and Industrial Engineering

1) Information System Analysis- Mainly an analytical course in busines. Involves function analysis, database design, project scheduling using business software and programming language. This is a very very mathematically challenging course. But I really like it because it fits my career plan

2) Optimization II - The second course in Optimization. Talk about different network algorithms, nonlinear models and all others. I guess every engineer should master in it.

3) Japanese II - The second course in Japanese.

4) Operations Research Tools for Financial Engineering - Mainly utilizes the OR concepts for applications in Financial Engineering. Including statistical surveys, time series, portfolio selection, etc. Another mathematically intensive course.

5) Gym- Gotta get in shape, lol

I know the above is highly technical, but I am a college junior now, and those are the classes we take, sighh.

Signature
Shinjutsu wa Itsumo Hitotsu

Hmm...Spring term would be similar to a Winter Semestery would it not, because I just started my winter semester like three weeks ago. As for what courses I'm taking, it's pretty general now since I'm only a first year student in University..

So right now I'm taking Chemisty, Physics, Biology, Calculus, and Introduction to Computer Programming.

Hmm...the classes I like to attend the most are Calculus and my computer programming course because the Professors make the material interesting. But I guess that Biology wouldn't be that far off from my favourites list because the material is interesting for the most part. Chemistry is great too, although I only like the labs since I get to work with chemicals, hehe. So really I guess I like pretty much all of my classes. As for which would be most useful to me in the future, that would definately be the computer programming course. It would be a great help since later on I will hopefully be able to create simple programs to help me with data analysis.

Physics is probably the class I hate the most right now. I liked it in my first semester of school because the Professor was great and explained the material really well. But now, it seems like half that time in class is spent correcting our professor when she makes a mistake in the lecture. So I don't really like attending that class.

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

let's see... i actually don't start class until monday... (boo!) but for now i'm registered for:

Art for Children
Thought and Image II: The first one focused on modernity and post-colonialism, but apparently this one is more "Art" focused... the subheading for it is "Thought As Image"
Biology For Today's World: Like an AP Biology class-- goes over all of the basic biology sections with a focus on teaching the material.
Art For Social Change: how we can use art for the promotion of social change...
Computer Technology for Teachers

since i haven't started classes yet i can't really say which one is my favorite... but i will say that i'm excited for my biology course! i've been waiting to take it for a year because it's only offered in spring semester.

no designated "fun" courses this semester for fireflywishes, cuz she's trying to finish up her classes so she can graduate on time. ^_^' i'm not really looking forward to my Thought and Image class because i've heard it was "eh... okay" and that the book is expensive... >_< the computer technology course seems like it'll be really useful for the future because apparently we'll be learning about and testing out educational software... (i am NOT very computer savvy... ^_^') and bonus, it only meets for 5 sessions!

Signature Image

joycev

joycev

the PS3 with boobs & personality

actually, its still considered winter term for me, but oh well...

~General Chemistry - just a basic introductory course to chem
~Principles of Biology(second term) - the more advanced freshman course for bio majors. Cell biology, organ systems, plant and animal physiology, all that fun stuff...
~Intro to Cultural Anthropology - should be pretty obvious what this is from the name of it.
~College Algebra - Sometimes considered to the hardest math course offered at my univ because of how fast paced it is.

The class I enjoy most at the moment is anthropology. Not only is it the only course Im taking that isnt required but its also interesting. I love learning about the different cultures and how they work. Its not really that useful for me because it doesnt relate to my major, but I'll probably take more courses like it in the future because I like it so much.

I hate math class most of all. Mostly because I dont understand how to do the problems that well. It's been forever since my last high school math class so I just have to try and remember it all. Im only taking it because its required, otherwise I would get out of it. x_x

Signature Image

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by kawaiiguy ...Class?

:D

*thwaps kawaiiguy*

Quote by fireflywishesi'm not really looking forward to my Thought and Image class because i've heard it was "eh... okay" and that the book is expensive...

Indeed. At the beginning of every semester, textbooks always burn a hole in my wallet, and it seems as if every semester the hold gets bigger and bigger. Furthermore, so many of the textbooks are either books that I certainly will never open again after the course is over and are therefore a tremendous long-term waste.

As for me. . .

AEM 430 International Trade Policy: your typical graduate-level course on international trade economics.
ILRST 511 Statistics for Social Science II: applied regression analysis. In other words, an intermediate graduate stats course.
LAW 690 Terrorism and Law: a course on legal approaches to international terrorism given over at the Law School.
GOVT 689 International Security Politics: a course intended for doctoral candidates (!) regarding the theories and politics of international security.

For me, the Law class seems as if it will be the most interesting because of its subject material, and also because of its subject material it seems as if it will be the most relevant and useful for me in the future, as I intend to pursue a career in public policy in the federal government.

The stats class is the one I'm least interested in, but it fulfils a statistical reasoning requirement and the professor, whom I've had before, is really interesting (and grades very easily!) and so it shouldn't be tough. The international security politics course, however, will be a real pain because of all of the work involved (hundreds of pages of reading each week and three-hour seminars), though I hope the subject matter makes up for the pain.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

unicorn2006

Retired Moderator

unicorn2006

:.ICE:.:BIN.:

Classes started today at my school, and courses are now set. I'm taking:

Appearance/Disappearance (Studio Art)
..and how these conditions intellectually and intuitively link a subject to its surrounding environment; its an image-based studio examination of the subject, and it's also a tutorial format (2 students, the prof) with my favorite professor in the dept. :)

This course is actually for Art majors (which I am not), so I initially got kicked out after pre-registering.. But I made my way back in yesterday, which I was really happy/excited about. I'm slightly anxious about this course though, as tutorials are notorious for being stressful and loaded with work and pressure.

Globalization and War
A seminar course in Int'l Relations full of senior majors who will each be conducting individual research on a particular conflict over the semester and presenting it at the end. The war on terror and Iraq have fundamentally altered trends of globalization from the previous few decades, so we'll be delving into that. Also a course with my favorite professor of the dept. :)

Psychology of Language
A psychology empirical lab course on.. language! The professor for this course is apparently an easy grader, and the topics in the course description seemed interesting, so hopefully it can be a slackoff class for me. :)

Korea's Democratization
Uses the Korean Peninsula as a testing ground for various contending theories explaining democratization and its effects. This is with a new professor, who I hear is 'cool' for a prof.

That's my roster~ Thankfully I don't think I have any course with extreme loads of reading this semester. I had several courses that sometimes required 200+ pages of reading for one class. And of course most of them were in Political Science, which really only exacerbates the pain... u_u

The worst was a course titled Political Islam with an excellent (not sarcasm) prof who evidently thought we only took one course that semester and gave us 200+ pages of reading for almost every class (which met twice a week, btw). It was actually one of the best courses I've taken in college but all of us pretty much died multiple times throughout the semester. ^^

"Faith means believing in something that will only make sense in reverse."
"When men are the most sure and arrogant they are commonly the most mistaken..."

I'm taking:
Microbiology - that's a lecture and a lab
I like this course and the lab is fun - not to mention that we have a great instructor. It's a lot of information though... and memorizing all those organisms and their information is going to give me a headache

Physiology - again, that's a lecture and a lab
This is going to be hell on earth and that's all I have to say about that.

Design
I was so excited to take this class that I think I set my expectations too high. This isn't my kind of art class. The teacher talks a lot more than he lets us actually work. I guess, if all my other classes have to be taken into consideration, this is the one that I like the most - I just wish that I didn't have to sit through the class in the first place - just give me an assignment to do and I'm set.

Women in Quest
Yeah, I didn't (still don't, actually) understand the title of this class, but it's an English course. It's fine, we only meet once a week from six to nine at night. Lots of reading, not that I mind.

Women in Christianity
Shoot me, please. I don't want to take this course! First of all, it's an upper-division class, meaning that we get a lot of work. Secondly, I'm sorry but studying feminism gives me a headache. The only reason that I'm taking this course is because I need to fulfill the Religious Studies requirement to graduate (whenever that is... x_x) and this is the only one that would fit my schedule.

@}>- "When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing in myself."
|| Gundam Haven || Doujinshi Support Club || Deviants || Final Fantasy X/-2 || FLIP ||

Period 1-Chemistry. Likely to help me in my future career possibilites. Whether I like this class or not, it could go either way.

Period 2-Functions (Math). Same reason as Chem. I heard the teacher is easy, so I might like it.

Period 4/5-Computer Engineering. Same reason as before, plus I like working with computers. Likely to end up liking this class

Period 6-Physics. Same reason as Chem. I heard rumours about how everyone who took it had really low marks, so I might not like this class.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.