Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Setting of Full Metal Alchemist - Minitokyo

Setting of Full Metal Alchemist

Tagged under Fullmetal Alchemist

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Okay something that has been really bugging me is the time setting in this anime. Yes, I know it IS anime, and anything can happen, but I'm still confused.

For those who haven't seen the end of this and don't want to wreck the ending with a MAJOR spoiler, I suggest stop reading now.

*MAJOR SPOILER* >.< >.<

Okay, so Ed goes through the gate and ends up in London back in what 1915 or 16, and there is a shot of a Zeppelin. You know the big blimp flying thing that ends squishing Ed's twin. I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure they weren't invented until 1929.

Furthermore, the movie, set in Munich 1921, it has a very WWII setting to it, but WWII didn't start until 1939, I don't even think the Nazi party was formed until the 1930s

So I'm no history student, so I could be wrong there, but if anyone has any thoughts - much appreciated! I love the way it is set an and all, but it's just that little thing that bugs me.

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving up something in return.

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Hitler officially founded the NSDAP (Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei) on February 24, 1920 with his publication of the 25-point party platform. The "violent" beginnings of the Nazis came 3 years later in 1923 at the Munich Beerhall Putsch. The Nazis indeed had their beginnings in the 1920s.

As for the Zeppelin, I think F (could be Frederik, but maybe Ferdinand) von Zeppelin began working on them in the 1890s. Of course, these blimps were most prominent in the 1930s, but I they were invented before then.

Ahh, here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_von_Zeppelin

So it's Ferdinand. He began in 1899, and the first military use was in WWI. So I guess FMA didn't play with history in these two matters. :)

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

Quote by EternamparadoxThe "violent" beginnings of the Nazis came 3 years later in 1923 at the Munich Beerhall Putsch.

This is, in fact, depicted in Conqueror of Shambala. It's the coup d'etat that the Nazis, including Hughes, try to stage near the end of the film but ultimately fail in. There is a comment made about Hitler not making it; this is a reference to Hitler's arrest on charges of treason just days after the putsch.

Another historical aspect that FMA included in the movie that I felt was a really nice touch was the Verein fur Raumschiffahrt. For those who are not aware of the term, the VfR was the premier ameteur rocketry society in the world, with members such as Wehrner von Braun. The members of the VfR made many advances in rocketry before they disbanded in the early 1930s. Many of the members, including von Braun, made a so-called deal with the devil by joining the Nazi party and working for the military in order to gain funding for continued rocketry research, of which the V2 was perhaps the most famous result.

Near the end of the Second World War, von Braun and many of the former VfR members fled westward in an attempt to surrender to the Americans before the Soviets could capture them, and as part of Operation Paperclip they were brought secretly to the United States, where they worked for the United States military in developing many of the rockets that not only gave the United States its massive ballistic missile arsenal, but which enabled the United States to make it to the moon and beyond.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

It's nice to know that I was wrong about that, makes the anime even more interesting. I'm glad that FMA was right in those matters.

Thanks for clearing that up ^_^

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving up something in return.

page 1 of 1 4 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.