Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Changing times pirate games? - Minitokyo

Changing times pirate games?

page 1 of 1 12 total items

When I was really young (18 now) I started playing games at 2- it was the Famicom but most games on it from the shops in HongKong were pirate copies like those "100-in-one" cartridges.
The best time was when the Super Famicom and Floppy Disc System came out! We played some USA games as well that we bought while on hols in hk!
Which were pirated on Floppys (shame on us!)
Of course I dont support pirate anymore now that you can find official USA and Jap games in HK, that is when I go back on hols... phew

But the biggest flaw in pirated games are bad copies and games that lose their save files, especially GB,GBC, GBA games. I still have pirated I bought for the PSone from 8 years ago, like the Crash bandicot 3 in one, which works wonders and is pretty cool.

I noticed over the last 2-3 years, there's a big crackdown on Pirate games, and you can find official unopened games from America and Japan in many of the stores. Despite this, they are stil really cheap by my standards, as HK$300 is around EUR30 in my currency, and in Ireland, games cost EUR60 for the bigger consoles, EUR50 for DS and GBA.
What's it like in other countries in Asia- Singapore, Malasia, Japan, Taiwan, Philipinnes? Just curious! :)

well i live in romania , you wouldnt believe the level of piracy over here , very few people buy originals , but thats becuse people dont have much money , i have a fe though :D

I guess I still support pirate. Prices are too high and some people keep saying it's because of pirate games that cause inflation. But I dont believe them. I suppose I'll find some bargains in HK this year,and not be ripped off by those FAT CATs of the games industry as well as the government. VAT my derriere!

Oops, I think I just got angry. I hear the next generation of games are even more expensive- 70 euros for a ps3 game!? OMG...

RyuS

RyuS

mighty AhkiN

Yes, original games are just way too expensive specially outside the united states, the copies are easilly 60 times cheaper and I´m not exagerating. Anyway I still try to buy the really good games in the original format, to support the industry or something like that but I still get the pirate ones most of the times.

But I don`t see where is the change you´re talking about, to me it looks exactly the same at least aroun here it is the same since the times of the famicom

DanTheGreat

DanTheGreat

Ju-Ni Ban Tai Taichou

i live in the philippines where 90% of software used is pirated. hell even a few of my games are. i don't support pirates but genuine copies are expensive.

Signature

Memero

Memero

Hiding in a cardboard box...

I live in the Philippines & I know for a fact that the guy above me is damn right. Although I buy original PS2 games, most of my PS1 games are pirated.

The frightened will grow pale.
I am but a shadow in the dark,
I never grow pale...

Well mexico don't keeps behind in piracy, U actualy can get norton antivirus 2007 for 5 bucks.

I am shamed that I pirates GTA vice city and Counter strike condition zero from a torrent

SHAME!

Ryggim

Ryggim

Darkness to Oblivion

Hmmm lotsa lotsa pirated stuffs in the Philippines, anywhere you go you'll see pirated items being sold. From movies to DVD's even the games for any console are pirated. Well there are Originals and these don't sell as much as the pirated. Hmm okay let me put it this way. The ratio of the stores that sell original products from the pirated ones is 1 is to 10 or even 1 is to 20. maybe more. You can't blame the buyers, cheap products is a lot better than the expensive original. The only problem is, since pirated products does not promise quality. Most of the pirated products are defects and the buyers fall for it.

Come to think of it, the only country I've seen so far with close to zero piracy is Singapore, yup no pirated here most of the stores sell only the original, that's why they are so expensive. I was able to buy a 88 in 1 Gameboy cartridge with no repeation. Even FF VII CD's during this year and these games are so hard to find today. Maybe another country without piracy is Japan, if you look at it, it is in Japan where these stuffs come from in the first place, so why Pirate?

But piracy, in most Asian countries, is rampant. Despite the constant raids and comfiscation of pirated products, more of these products are still being sold today.

"A journey of a thousand miles start with a single step"

Quote by Ryggim
Come to think of it, the only country I've seen so far with close to zero piracy is Singapore, yup no pirated here most of the stores sell only the original, that's why they are so expensive.

It's because Singapore has the money to buy the original stuff, whereas here in our beloved country, the purchasing power is pretty much low.. XD

Umm.. Come to think of it, maybe every household here in the Philippines has at least one pirated stuff... ^_^'

hmmm... Maybe because Singapore is REALLY strict as well. Just the othe day I was asked if I would visit Japan or Singapore for a few days, which I'd choose- I said Japan, but my parents recommended Singapore if it's just myself and my cousin going on a tour group there.
Crackdowns happen all the time but it depends on how high a priority the government sees piracy on the things they worry about. But, Hong Kong does follow in Japan and UK and US footsteps a good bit, in interests and hobbies, so games and movies are a big part of the country's everydayness, and what I mean as in trade and economy, so the Government gets stricter on piracy to
help in economic stuffness... right?
But I do find it strange that there is such a big stop on piracy, especially movies, as Hong Kong was very big into piracy, what with Shenzen right beside it, such a huge industrial sector and those VCD/DVD manufacturers.

shinsengumi

Retired Moderator

shinsengumi

. . . remember me?

The amount of piracy in Taiwan has certainly decreased over the past few years. Three years ago, when I went to Guanghua Shangchang in Taipei (a district similar to Akihabara in Tokyo), I could find plenty of pirated movies, music, and games. In fact, I managed to get episodes 1-92 of Inuyasha on fourteen good-quality (pirated) DVDs for something like 1,800 NT (~US $50.00). This past winter, while browsing Guanghua Shangchang, I could barely find anything that wasn't legitimate.

Taiwan certainly has put pressure on media piracy, and so now if you want to find music, movies, or games for extremely low prices, you need to hop across to Hong Kong or the mainland. I remember, for example, being able to pick up dvds for something like 10 RMB each (~US $1.20) in Shanghai two years ago.

s h i n s e n g u m i
Minitokyo Policy, Forum, Review, and Category Maintenance Moderator Emeritus

Do not expect to be applauded when you do the right thing, and do not expect to be forgiven when you err, but even your enemies will respect commitment, and a conscience at peace is worth a thousand tainted victories.

Ryggim

Ryggim

Darkness to Oblivion

Yeah, pirated DVD's are rampant nowadays...Naruto DVD's sprouted like mushrooms, everywhere you look there are Naruto DVD's...I wonder where they got copies of it.

"A journey of a thousand miles start with a single step"

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.