Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Need PSP help with extracting scans... pretty pls? - Minitokyo

Need PSP help with extracting scans... pretty pls?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

All righty... I use Paint Shop Pro 7, and I'm kinda having a problem with extracting scans. When I extract a scan, the edges are always left looking somewhat rough and pixeled... How can I make them look better and blend with the background properly? Which tool should I use? Any kind of help would be appreciated... :sweat:

I don't have experience with PSP but look for some kind of blurring or anti aliasing option when you are extracting, not sure if that will help but it's better than nothing don't you agree hehe :D

Hello, can you upload one of these scans to imageshack so I can check (or try) to get a solution?, I have some exp with PSP, but one image is better than 1000 words...

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

All righty... this is what I mean. Take the pic below, for instance:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Odeena/Image2.gif

When you zoom in, you'll notice that the outlines are pixelated and they look pretty nasty. What I wanted to know was if there is any way to make them smoother or something.

You mean this, right?

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a12/Samurai-Jin/Image5.gif

Well it requires some handwork, but not much.

Load the gif you submited on PSP and press shift+V that will show the current transparency (what covers and what not), you only need to match those with the current transparency color and save again the image redoing tranparency.

* Just a point, finding the colors that didn't match in this image whould be easier if you go to preferences -> general preferences and change transparency reticle color to some dark grey.

Signature
-+| Signature by me |+-

elessar007

elessar007

Scan Collector Extradonaire

I now have PSP 9 now but I use to have 7 awhile back. The concepts and tools are pretty much the same so here goes.
First of all, don't use the Magic Wand for selecting anything that will result in a final edge. Just like a carpenter doesn't use a hatchet for the final details on furniture, don't use the magic wand to extract anything that will result in a final edge.

Here is a step by step method of extraction that results in nice clean edges.
1.Use the eraser tool to get rid of the bulk of what you want to delete. Leave roughly a twenty pixel margin around the part you want to keep. This layer will be referred to as 'scan'.
2.Create a new vector layer on top of the scan and label it 'mask.'
3.Click the pen tool and then go to the materials palette to select black for the 'foreground/stroke' color. Make the 'background/fill' color transparent. (Black if you want the extraction to have an outline. If you dont want an outline, you will have to manually change the color each time the area of the scan edge changes. In the above image, yellow for when you are tracing the shirt, red for the sweater etc. You can use the eyedropper tool to do this but I recomend using black until you become more familiar with the process.)
4. On the tool toolbar, set the width of the pen tool to 2 pixels. Check the box that says "Anti-alias"
5. On the tool toolbar, click the mode for bezier curves. It might be labelled as "Point to Point" in psp 7.
6. What you do now is simply draw the outline of the scan you want to extract by using the pen tool to trace the edges. This will take a little practice if you are not familiar with the use of the pen tool.
7. Once you have finished drawing the outline, go back to the layer named 'scan' and click on the eraser tool. Set the eraser tool to about 20-25 pixels in a circle shape. Set the 'step','density','hardness' and 'opacity' settings all to 1.
8.Proceed to erase the pixels that lay on the outside of your traced outline by slowly moving the eraser from the outside in towards the scan. If you stop just as the edge of the eraser gets under the traced outline on the vector layer you will see that you now have a crisp, clean edge. Do this for the rest of the scan.
9. Once you have erased all the remaining pixels that lie on the outside of your traced outline, merge the 'scan' layer with the 'mask' layer. Your extraction will now have a clean edge that is neither rough or pixelated.

I hope this little how-to helps you to acheive the look you want. Any further questions, by anyone can be directed to me either in my guestbook or thru private messaging.

@ elessar007 - it sounds a bit complicated, but I'll give it a shot nonetheless. I've never used the pen tool before, but heck... how hard can it be? XP

@ Samurai-Jin, that's what I meant for transparent GIF's :)

Thanks for the help! *hugs*

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.