Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ necessary? - Minitokyo

Was the crucifixion of Jesus Christ necessary?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 37 total items

There's a lot of meaning in the crucifixion . But it's a little long. If you're patient. Maybe is gotta get boring. But if you want to know, here we go.

1. BEFORE MONOTEISM, the prehistoric ancestors of israeli were sheepherds that traveled between what's today Palestine and Egypt. The FIRST FULL MOON after the spring equinox they did a ritual. It was a critical time, when the new sheeps are born. So, the patriarc of each tribe or clan would chose a newborn lamb, all white, the primogenit of a female sheep.

It would live with the family, inside the tent, so it would "absorb" the sins of all the family. Coming the full moon, the patriarc would kill it, cutting the neck, and sprinkle his family and the sheep and the lambs, washing away the sins and liberating the lambs from the demons (animals) of the desert.

Start to get it? ONE DIES FOR ALL THE OTHERS.

2. Of course you know were it is going to. In the JEWISH PASSOVER a white lamb without a single dot was killed, and the houses marked. You know that after this, the EASTERN (or PASSOVER, I don't know which is correct, English is not my mother lenguage) BECAME THE NATIONAL AND RELIGIOUS FESTIVITIE of the Israeli, and therefore, the Jews. And you know that a lamb was given as a rescue for the primogenit son.

See? A LAMB DIES TO SAVE A CHILD'S LIFE

3. What you probably don't know, is that the Jews cooked the lamb for the Easter (or Passover) just as a CRUCIFIED MAN LOOKS like. Not as barbacue style, all open, but with the rear legs togheter, crossed one over the other. It was the way they used to do it.

NOW, AN INOCENT MAN DIES TO SAVE ALL SINNERS. See the meaning of the cross? It complements the image of the innocent lamb giving its life for the others. And the image of the RESURRECTED LAMB in Revelations.

All this information was taken from a Catholic Bible, with a lot of footnotes, "LA BIBLIA LATINOAMERICA". Sorry, it's in Spanish. But you can find it in the U.S., and "THE BITTER PASSION OF CHRIST", by Ana Catalina Emmerich, the book Mel Gibson used for "The Passion".

For the crucifixion itself: it was a torture invented by the Persians, and the Romans inherited it trougth the Greeks, who also used it.

If you want to know, I'm Catholic and a catequist.

See ya.

Of course it was necessary, it symbolises giving your life *metaphorically* to others, something we can and should all do.

If Jesus just went home it would be the same as us all refusing to help each other.

revilkar

revilkar

I am the Lorax.

The necessity of the Crucifixion is irrelevant. Well, at least in the way you asked the question. Crucifixion was the standard method of execution in Roman society at the time. It's not like he was getting the special treatment for being executed in that way.

Jesus was crucified not because he wasn't a citizen. Quite the opposite. In the society Jesus lived in, Hellenization had already come through so all those areas and the inhabitants thereof were considered Roman citizens. Jesus was crucified because many claimed him to be the "King of the Jews". In Roman society it was punishable by death to consider one's self a king as it was an affront to the emperor. While Jesus didn't claim himself to be one, Pontius Pilate was coerced into convicting Jesus of such an act.

However, in truth to get to the Roman level of the courts, he first had to go through a more provincial court process. In this, he was brought up on charges by the Jewish leaders. They saw him as a heretic. Which, in their eyes, he was. He performed miracles on the Sabbath, among other things. That alone is a highly punishable offense. So, they brought him up on charges of heresy. That enabled them to bring him to the Roman courts, where they couldn't charge him with heresy because, frankly, the Romans couldn't care less about what the Jews thought was heresy. So the charges were changed to Jesus claiming himself to be King of the Jews.

*cough*

Was it necessary for him to be executed? Depends. The Romans saw no shame in it- he had broken the law. The Jewish leaders also saw it as heresy. Was it necessary for him to be crucified? Well, while there were other forms of execution, crucifixion was the standard method. Crucifixion, as opposed to being stoned to death, provided the Romans with an opportunity to publicly display his crime, hence the sign above his head: "King of the Jews".

Theological rant over.

(Oh and just so you know, this is all verifiable information from the Bible, historical sources, and various theological scholarly works.)

I wonder...Would you really be able to say whatever you want if Jesus hadn't died in any way? Crucifixion is a way. Hang is another.
The fact, however, that he died declaring equality and love etc and dying without commiting any act against other people except the one that were lawful is why today you can freely talk about anything. If it weren't for Jesus, do you really think that someone else could possibly declare the same things and do the same things?

That's why he died on the cross. Because when noone believes in someone, that someone as his last resort must die for his ideas. Well, he died and that's why it was necessary to die.

The Bible says yes, unless you'd prefer burning in hell.

Signature Image

I think it was nesaccery in the same way the death of socrates was.
Jesus and Socrates were very much alike.
Both were regarded as mysterious persons, they didn't put a word on paper.
They preached wit an enourmous self-consiousness, and did it in name of a greater being.
They challenged the people with power and critisized their misuse of power.
Eventually this has costed their lifes.... BUT both could easily beg for mercy and save their own lifes.

Why did they have to die?
If you want to believe the bible it would say "To save humankind from hell"

I think it is something different. They both had a mission, and they would feel as if they had failed if they hadn't finished the job. By fearless facing their deaths they assured they would have thousands of diciples and their teachings would not be lost forever.

he should have fought back. there was probably another way to save our sins. Jesus v the World Part 1!

Crucifixion... all punishments that practiced at that age. political reasons. corrupt kings, power, money, bad people...
the sins are forgiven when you regret.
Your God don't wants blood and sacrifice... i guess :p

Crucification was used by the Roman Empire to put on display those who talk against or question the Roman Empire's authority. So, maybe the question should be what did Jesus do to be crucified. Was it his destiny to be crucified, so that man can sin more and be forgiven each time he feels guilty about the sins he committed. I think something got lost in the translation.

lianppoper

lianppoper

[Free Bird]

crucifixion was there for the salvation of mankind.
that's why they used Judas to fulfill that because
none of the other disciples could really understand Jesus' divine duty.

Signature

Jesus had all of our sins past, present and future pent up in him. That is why he was bleeding blood. That is a lot of sin o.o I personally think, god know everything. He knew how he would die and it was planned. It was slow and painful for all of the sins. Thats just how it works. And god save u.. i hope he finds a way to reach u, because i would like nothing more than for everyone to go to heaven.

ChinoMareno

ChinoMareno

This is a girl in the picture

Well it wouldn't be as romantic had he been blungeoned to death by a crowd or beheaded would it?

The Romans were rather fond of crucifixion, im sure it wasn't neccessary but thats what romans do.

Your avatar is an image which reflects your personality or an aspect of it. Minitokyo recommends against putting a female avatar if you are a male, and likewise for the other gender.

samu02

Back to Basics

Well, it was the primary form of execution during that time. They could have hanged him or beheaded him or fed him to the lions. But I guess it wouldn't have the same effect on the people h was meant to save if he was killed another way. I mean if they beheaded him, he wouldn't have been able to say " Father, why have you forsaken me?" and "Forgive them for they know not what they do...", that goes for being hanged and fed to the lions, as well...

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 37 total items

Back to Religion & Science | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.