Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Does anyone listen to game music? - Minitokyo

Does anyone listen to game music?

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 137 total items

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

I am a HUGE video game music fan, ever since i played first game super mario. Koji Kondo composed the most famous game tunes ever. (Zelda and Mario!)

Final Fantasy's music is truly inspirational and Nobuo Uematsu is a true genius who can transend all musical genres. He can compose classical, techno, jazz, metal, rock (he even has his own band The Black Mages), basically anything in excellent standards. In my eyes a man who can do that is way better than Beethoven or Mozart. Nobuo inspired a generation to pick up an instrument. He inspired me to play the piano. (My first song I played the legendary Prelude)

I don't understand why game music is still a taboo amongst mainstream culture in the rest of the world. It is slowly being embraced with world orchestral tours.

One day I have a dream that video game music shall co-exist with all other music genres in music stores, like in Japan!
:D

For you game music virgins, listen to the games you play dammit!

I recommend the following games (mostly SNES. the console with the best music):

*****Final Fantasy series (all styles of music)
Mario (Jazz)
*****Castlevania (Metal)
*****Kirby (Jazz, Pop, Fusion)
*****F-Zero and F-Zero X (Fusion/Metal)
Street Fighter (Pop)
King of Fighters (Rock)
*****Zelda series (Classical, Baroque, Renaissance, and some Jazz)

and finally...TETRIS! :pacman: ;)

(***** Highly recommended)

Izaak

Izaak

Lotus Clan

You will probably get so many replies from this you will regret it. Yes, I listen to game music. Especially the Lotus song: "Dark Homily"; but then, I love every Lotus song, including "Horde".

-Izaak, Lord of the Lotus Clan.

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

i couldn't find a thread relating to game music so made one. sorry :(

Game music had always been my favorite genre,although technically it's not really a "genre" since many composers have diffrent inspirations and use diffrent styles of known music,like Timothysan said,it has become a genre with increasing popularity in Japan,if Resident Evil can get an Orchestral tour than there's really no limit

As for Nobuo,he's still one of the greatest composers ever,an inspiration for many current composers (Tommy T.'s favorite) Final Fantasy has great storylines and gameplay,but without the music that lets you connect to sorroundings,characters,events etc. something would be a miss

the genre itself is always evolving,wheter it is by remixes (official and unofficial) and brand new music

My personal favorites are:
Megaman Series (For the NES games i recommend unofficial remixes,SNES and the latter are just as good along with great remixes)

Castlevania (Always a classic)

Dragon Quest ( Same as above)

F-Zero

Zelda

EarthWorm Jim series (Only 1 and 2 though)

Sonic series

Going on newer titles:

Metal Gear Solid (It's a whole diffrent exprience with Harry Gregson-Williams)

Devil May Cry (Diffrent from Capcom's style,but still pretty good)

Lumines (Without its music,there's no game)

Rez (The same as above)

Guilty Gear (there's a japanese and a korean version for XX#Reload,both are just as good)

DJ Max Portable,just got it recently and haven't had the time to play it much,but looks very promising,it's like DDR with your hands,but it seems to have a lot of styles

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

You must check out the music in SNES games. Those composers put a lot of effort into them old classics. I just don't think composers these days put as much into them, as there is an explosion of Western game composers that focus on a lot of damn annoying beats in modern games.

Pop 'n' Twinbee is a must hear. The music is soo bubbly and cute! (is that even possible to describe music!?) Konami hired lilke a team of 10 composers for this game, and it shows that there finished work is a masterpiece! Too bad the game wasn't that successful in the world!

Visit: www.snesmusic.org

:)

The Black Mages! I totally love their music ^^

Just recently, I went through most of the FF music and also Kingdom Heart music. Though, another one I like is Guilty Gear stuff. I'm not really huge on playing the games persay, but I love listening to the music XP It's just so awesome though!

Sadly, that's about all I've listened to in full anyways XD I have heard random songs from other series, but nothing completely.

Just a question though. What did you mean by "I don't understand why game music is still a taboo amongst mainstream culture in the rest of the world. It is slowly being embraced with world orchestral tours."? Taboo as in it's looked down upon or that people don't seem to want to embrace it?

*Is already downloading the above mentioned Soundtrack*

I've always been a fan of SNES music,i just didn't put what you already mentioned because i wanted to be more original ^_^;

but all of the titles you mentioned are amazing

Damn,I can't believe i forgot to mention Advent Rising,

a prime example of a how game music can save a game from being a total disaster.
Music gets an A+, gameplay gets a D

ElvishImmortal

ElvishImmortal

Spellweaver

Well, music i reccomend would be the soundtrack from Tales of Symphonia. A lot of digital effects, but some are orchestral, rock, or 'easy listening'. I think they're all composed and arranged by Motoi Sakuraba (hope thats spelled right). One of my fav game composers!

I listen to OSTs from games and anime........
like parasite eve.....final fantasys.......streeet fighter.......guilty gear.....resident evil

well beside all the well known snes osts (f-zero, zelda, mario, tetris, etc.) there are a few psx games that have good music, too, for example: ridge racer, need for speed, quake 2, kula world ... tekken 3 had also very good songs, even destruction derby had a good ost.

there is another well known computer featuring thousands of game music themes: commodore 64 of course. i haven't played any games for it tho because i'm a bit too young to feel the need to go way back to the c64 time, but i love the music and most of it comes from games. the game "last ninja" for example has one of the coolest osts ever. but not everyone likes the sound of the c64 so i wouldnt be surprised if you prefer not to listen to its music.

... i guess that's about it.

I can more or less listen to some ff ost (but after the 8th one), I really like Suteki da ne, or To Zanarkand... but I got bored when I just listen to some Zelda music... but I think it's really different to listen some bgm and some songs.

Signature
Thanks to GothicMike for making my avatar and signature.

Member of : Renegade Fighter ~ Anime Paradise ~ Death-Note

I like listening to game music!^^
Some of the songs are very well made!

well im alwayz listening to game music rather than the anime ...its much better ! zelda , magna carta , wild arms 4 i luv all the adventure ost !

[http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/71998/kite010sigcopy.gif]

I like game music very much. Some of my friends say it's stupid because it's from a game and it's not "real" music... but I like game music! final fantasy music, black mages, soul calibur, guilty gear, megaman (remixed track mostly) etc....

bigeejit

bigeejit

Sup?

My friends were like that to until I played them Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario songs on the piano at school break! They loved the tunes but just forgetten about them and now they accept game music

One of them started reminis his times on Zelda, and decided to pick up the keyboard and began learning to play. He started to come at lunch and show me the ocarina tunes! He learned super mario and FFIX music without sheetmusic, and just by ear.

And now we blow away audiences at lunch times who swarm to see us perform! ;) If what we play are not "real" music, then I don't know what is.

Too bad, the music teachers don't give a damn and still won't accept it... >=0!

the only one I can think of is final fantasy VII

Definitely. Zelda, Final Fantasy VII and Mario songs get stuck in my head so often and actually inspire me to practice piano...which never happens XD

Some games just have GENIUS music, and the games just wouldn't be the same without the tunes to go along :P

Crescentvn

Crescentvn

Loli Lover

Always, game- anime music have place in my heart :D. Music plays an important role in success of a game or anime. Good game always have good music.
FF music is too famous, anyone must hear about it. Nobuo Uematsu is really a genius. I really like song composed by him.

Quote: The Black Mages! I totally love their music ^^

Yeah, I love them too, lucky, have someone with same habit. I love rock and game music. THe Black Mages have everything I need. Too bad, at my place, myfrien don't like them.

Quote: And now we blow away audiences at lunch times who swarm to see us perform! If what we play are not "real" music, then I don't know what is.

Too bad, the music teachers don't give a damn and still won't accept it... >=0!

I want to be one of those student so I can hear u play game music, I never seen any game music live show with my own eyes, and u even create your own live show. I envy u.
The music teacher don't accept it, why, doushite. They're the teacher, they must know what a good music is.

Now, I'm listening to Dark Cloud 2 music. It's really good, everyone must listen to it too. U won't regret, I'm sure about it. Riviera is also good but I don't have mp3 file, if anyone have it, could u share with me. Thanks.

May the loli be with you

ultima100

ultima100

Holy Angel Ultima

I always listen to songs from games and anime. Especially FF OSTs and arranged albums, Black Mages is also my fav.

I like all the Final Fantasy's, Shemue, Chrono Trigger/cross Grandia 2, Sonics I play in a string quartet that plays arranged video game songs.

Well... Megaman X, Donkey Kong Country 2, F-Zero, Kirby, and Mario. (those are my my games and favorite music in them)
I like it because most of those games had the drums and i play it, and it has a good beat to them.

SoultakerJustice

SoultakerJustice

Hero for the Future

I recently got the soundtrack to Dead or Alive 4 and just about got soundtracks to almost every video game I ever played. I hope to get the King of Fighters '95 Arrange Sound Track in my lifetime.

i listen to game music alot especially final fantasy and atelier iris eternal mana and i wish i had the soundtrack to the first xenosaga because i really like that music too

RyuS

RyuS

mighty AhkiN

There are lots of awesome OST from games, like ZOE: the second runner, tales of legendia, FFVIII, drakengard 2, etc, etc, as from my favorite beside those already named is FF 20020220 concert, awesome CD with the best tracks from FF games, rearrenged and orchestred.

page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 137 total items

Back to OSTs & AMVs | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.