Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Elite Schools - The best choice? - Minitokyo

Elite Schools - The best choice?

page 1 of 1 6 total items

riku-chan

riku-chan

The One

This was brought up as a topic of debate recently at my school, what are some of your takes on this? Would an academically bright student limit his/her potential by not aiming for an elite school?

While prestigious schools may look better on your resume, there are many valuable life experiences you can gain outside of it, valuable lessons such as empathy for the less academically inclined, that there were other aspects of the human mind such as integrity, honesty, courage, generosity and compassion that are just as if not more important than academic ability.

The meritocracy in society and the fact that academic intelligence (some would call it IQ) is to a large extent genetically determined, has already allowed the cream to float to the top.Students in elite schools may experience low self-esteem and thinking themselves stupid when they are of average intelligence.

I myself feel that an academically bright student will do well whatever school he/she chooses. Yet the vast majority of society look mainly towards "Elite" schools as a gauge of potential.

tanteikun

tanteikun

Kawaikunai!

Yes, Elite Schools offer you the maximum amount of chance to succeed. A bright student will definitely have their potential limited by not aiming for one.

Quote by riku-chanStudents in elite schools may experience low self-esteem and thinking themselves stupid when they are of average intelligence.

I know, I experienced that problem when I first got in College. You are no longer the cream of the jewel. But I think it really prepares you well for real life, think about it... you will be more motivated to work, to learn and to mingle with other people. You would not have this type of atmosphere in an average school.

Quote by riku-chanthere are many valuable life experiences you can gain outside of it, valuable lessons such as empathy for the less academically inclined, that there were other aspects of the human mind such as integrity, honesty, courage, generosity and compassion that are just as if not more important than academic ability.

You can learn that in every place, thus, it is irrelevant in the discussion

Signature
Shinjutsu wa Itsumo Hitotsu

LigerZSchnider

LigerZSchnider

Litterbox Trained........

I have seen a lot of Ivy League friends wind up working for MacDonald's. The real world is full of competition: youth vs. experience vs. demand. Colleges offer degrees in certain courses that everyone thinks the money is at, for example Business Administration or Accounting. That is why I chose Mechanical Drafting and Architectural Drafting. Humans has a set of basic need: Food and Housing are the uppermost I can think of at the moment. You want electricity, plumbing, and heating and air conditioning in your house, so you rely one the professions that maintains those needs. That is where the real money is at. And todays money makers don't want to live in a "second hand house"..... that's where I can make a lot of money. I remember my teacher designed the blueprints for a local church (used to work for Kodak, designing cameras) at 300 dollars a sheet! If some don't understand, a blueprint for a building consists of a sheet for the foundation, a sheet for plumbing, a sheet for the dimensions of the windows and doors, a sheet for the roof, a sheet for electrical wiring, a sheet for the landscape.... so on and so forth. That's a lot of money!

I may have went off topic.....but the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't make a difference what school you attend, its what you are capable of providing the company you are applying for. And an elite school isn't gonna help much.

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it" - Erwin Rommel

leosama84

leosama84

::Peace Maker::

There are a few sayings i would like to share with you:

"If people demanded a strong will to survive, fate will surely respond to their demand!"

"By Learning Pain you become Kind to others!"

"If You don't Believe in yourself, then no matter how much or how hard you try, it would be a failure! Hard Work pays off Only when you believe in yourself!"

why did i mention those in such a topic? its because i've experienced both situations. the worst was in High School. Yet, the best was at university. there are major differences, and major similarities.

For example, in an Elite skool, and a normal skool, or lets say below average, is that in an Elite school, you have the chance to be much more sophisticated, "academically". However, in a normal skool, you don't have such a chance, but u have to "Be Aware" or yourself.

A major similarity between the two is: "wherever you go, people are all the same!"

But what i really found out is, it really depends on You yourself! if you really want to study, even if you're in a normal skool, you will always try to search for the best possibilities, opportunities, skills, whatever! but if you lose yourself, and try to get popular in a dark way, like u mentioned: Low Self-Esteem, u'll never get anywhere. BUT, if you get popular in a proper Academic way, People are more than willing to give you their all to help you!

Even if you're at a normal school, by learning things in the worst situations, worst case senarios, worst everything ... whenever you try to apply them, you'd be thinking "well, even though i've learned it the hard way, i know how to do it". And the easy way should be like saying "Hi!" so someone else! and you should also be able to help whoever asks you for help!

There is no such thing as "Average Intelligence". All people in the world are intelligent. It depends on the way you use this intelligence! A late study showed that in the age period from 20-29, you should introduce alot of new information to your brain. This way, you would train it to think harder, and to widen your horizon! which is true if you think about it. but why in this certain age period? its because in this period, people get to see more of life! they need to know more about what's going on around them! in the 20's, people are at their best health! especially the brain.

Integrity, Honesty, Courage, Generosity, Compassion, and let me also add Self-Esteem, The Will, Love, "Trust", "Self-Confidence", Prestige, Etiquette, Academic Intelligence. those are factors that YOU Yourself should accomplish, no matter where you are!

I know people that went to elite skools, but don't know anything about what they've learned! they just memorized it! and i also know people from the same skool, they're missing a lab of their own! (meaning, they're super intelligent!). its because they're used skool the proper way, and they're much more popular between students, doctors, even ministeries of such field!

Therefore, i urge everyone to use their brains instead of their @$$e$! its not only good for the people around you, its good for yourself! you would love yourself when you accomplish something that you really worked hard for, and turns out a success!

~_~ did you sleep yet? lol sorry for the constructive explanation, but i've had the same issue with the people that i hang around! (at skool, work, the street, even in the family tribe)!

Signature
-----My Latest Wallpaper: "Inner Power, Unleashed!!"-----
------------"Subtlety Is Not A Virtue!"------------

The college you go to doesn't have an impact on how successful you'll be. It'll just look more impressive on your resume that you went to Ivy League than University of Nowhere. What defines success is the type of person you are; how willing you are to go out and try and succeed. You can't just attend Ivy League and expect someone to hand you a CEO job.

Signature Image

The problem of the ellite schoolls is that the people can be under big preasure which makes that people feel bad, think that they aren't good enough.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to School & Work | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.