Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Suggestion: Group Announcements - Minitokyo

Suggestion: Group Announcements

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 13 total items

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Okay, this has been on my mind for a while and this is just a suggestion, so yeah~~~ not too majorly important, but I thought it'd be useful to bring this up (and yes I searched)

Group Announcements.

This is a great feature- no doubt about that!
But when you make an announcement, it stays on the group page- and that's cool too... until you make LOTS of announcements... and then the old stuff doesn't go away... and you start to look at really outdated info.

Not only that, it does make pages longer... make it harder or longer to load (not sure if that's of any concern, but I would think it should be)... and there are probably more reasons, but I won't mention them.

Just a few suggestions:

1. Have those annoucements expire (disappear off the page) after say 2 weeks from announcement.
Frees up the page. Nice. Just leave a link below the "newest" announcement, or if no announcement "PAST GROUP ANNOUCENMENTS" or something and it'd be nice with a new page (looking liek a forum actually) with all the past announcements.

OR

2. Have the group announcements on the group pages in a little table (like one you see appearing on the front page of Minitokyo with the active threads)- with like 5 announcements or whatever, and group members should just find the newest one and read it when they come around.

not sure if this suggestion is going to be on anyone's priority list, but I for a fact liek to keep the group pages short :P Could save some time and traffic if the page was shorter to load. I know that many groups love the feature... and use it ... a lot.

Cheers.

merged: 03-28-2006 ~ 07:05pm
Oh yeah sorry if this is in the wrong section... the bugs sections said "feature requests" so I thought suggestions could scrape in here. Could qualify for the minitokyo forum but I haven't posted in ages... apologies if I wrongly posted O_O

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

Ayamael

Ayamael

yumemitai

actually, Anjhurin already brought this problem up because the doujinshi-support-group's page is getting really crowded... but he didn't get an answer... it's here : http://forum.minitokyo.net/thread/41961/group-announcement-cant-be-deleted/

I'd go for the expire and dissapear from the front page option, personnally... but really, anything that makes the page less crowded would be good ^_^'

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

you all do know once it reaches off to announcement #8 it will be bumped off the page right?
If you feel like doing it, just keeppurging them posts and bump the off the page with new ones. It should be ok.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Or just give the group admins a function like delete announcements.

And while we're discussing groups, have the aspirant member grouped in the final or first page of the moderate panel so Admins don't have to hunt down names of aspirant members.

Signature

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

I sent Sheqel a PM about this topic as well and he was saying that there wasn't really a need because of the reason that Devildude stated...However, I too would support a delete announcement function if it were possible.

I also agree wth jakulito too, but I found that if you click on the "Member Since" heading that it'll reorganize the list of members with all the Aspirant ones at the top.

Signature Image

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Well actually i did get a reply, through shinsengumi, who told me that he had forwarded the problem to Sheqel. But apparently it wasn't on the priority list.

And i didn't know of the "8 then disappear* thing. The problem is that announcements are usually long (even though you can "edit-blank" them, but it doesn't look really good), and you end up with a huge page, especially if you already have some big customized group page featuring drawings, banners etc...

So a feature with admins (and moderators) of groups being able to delete them would be good as jakulito said.
While the "2 weeks then gone" feature could be good, sometimes announcement have to stay on for longer period, if you have a contest that lasts for a month or two, you want everyone to be able to see the announcement. So i'd suggest a 4 weeks period, which seems more appropriate to me.

Then again, Sheq might never implement that option give the "8 announcements then disappear*... We'll need to make a lobby ^_^'

BossMac

BossMac

BRBFBI

Oh yeah, I forgot. Announcement are linked to threads which are, ever since the beginning, won't be deleted.

So I'm guessing the delete function is a little off. So maybe, just maybe, the announcements could be placed inside little scrolling boxes or better yet iframes say maybe around 300-400 pixels high so they wouldn't take up that much space in the group page.

Signature

Sheqel

Administrator

Sheqel

Ive truncated the list to show only the announcements from the last 14 days. I will add a link to former announcements later.

Anjhurin

Linguistics

Anjhurin

ARIA sanchou

Quote by Sheq Ive truncated the list to show only the announcements from the last 14 days. I will add a link to former announcements later.

I am so thankful for that *bows*

fireflywishes

Retired Moderator, Linguistics

fireflywishes

Calgon, take me away~!

thanks a bunch Sheqel-sama! :D

Signature Image

moonelf313

Scanner

moonelf313

Just Pinky...

Is there any way that you can keep the most recent announcement there...As my group was having a contest and the announcement for that has now vanished...thank you!

Signature
I'm no angel, but I've spread my wings a bit

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

@moonelf313-

well, the only other way I can think of without involving any sort of announcement and being able to keep it on the page is actually writing about the contest in the body of your group page from the Customise Page section. *shrugs*

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

moonelf313

Scanner

moonelf313

Just Pinky...

My only isssue with that is most people do not read the description that throughly...hmmm

Signature
I'm no angel, but I've spread my wings a bit

page 1 of 1 13 total items

Back to Bug Reports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.