Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Global Warming - Minitokyo

Global Warming

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

On hiatus for january :( sorry!!

sry! i just needed to ask! i dont kno wut ppl think of it so i m curious! sooo sry! do u think global warming is happening cuz of us? wut do u think shud be done about it? >=0! i rly dont like wut's happening to earth's condition rite now, u kno, industrialization and ignoring natures beauty so yea. that's y i was asking!

Dead in our memories, silent in our hearts...

TrigunPreacherGirl

TrigunPreacherGirl

Alchemic Heartbeat

Yes, I hear what you are saying; I think a lot of the Earth's problems have to do with the people who are in power, and use said power for ego trips *cough.:George W. Bush:.cough, cough*. Thankfully, there are pople who are working to rectify this situation, one example being the thing with vegetables being a new car fuel...I think ^.^;.
Get people: A) more aware of what's going on, and B), act on your feelings; talk to your school/work place about Earth Day, physically celebrating it-e.g.: biking to work, taking public transport in order to cut down on fuel emissions, etc. Write the Arbor Day Foundation, and such. See where you can go, what you can do, even in small increments!

*Insert random inspirational message here, please!*
Disregarding reality, one fact at a time! I have every reason to be grateful, yet none to be happy.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10881-6075621.html#

SebastianvonKane

SebastianvonKane

Omniversal lone traveler

Yes and not.
Despite our efforts to keep a clean enviroment and balanced weather, global warming is a part of global weather cycle which takes part in gaps about 50000 years in the earth. So, whatever we did, the earth was meant for that.
The only thing we did is to trigger this phase to a faster step.
It is true, were ruining the whole world, and that's gonna make global warming to turn into a real disaster. Consequeces were not meant to be so critical, but now...let's hope it doesn't get worse, because it is totally TRUE. Global warming will trigger Ice Age.

"You have a job to do, and so do I. Yours is to sell socks and suspenders. Mine is to cross-examine people like you and crush them".

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

I believe this would be better suited for the "Religion and Science" forum seciton.

Quote by Archer79Sometimes the facts that aren't associated with the popular point of view can be hard to find. Now's your chance. The URL below links to a series of videos pertaining to Global Warming.

http://www.friendsofscience.org/index.php?ide=3

Fox will be airing a contrary view soon. ...I take this very seriously, as the production of energy, and how it is produced affects economies and the consumption of resources. ...Which in turn affect the quality of life for the bottom class/poor/impoverished in many ways. I encourage everyone, on either side of this issue to keep an open mind.

Thanks!

Global Warming?

T.T we r the cause of global warming. no matter what people say this is what i think. everyone takes advantage of earth. and we don't really pay attention to what's happening. we all know about global warming but what do we do to fix it.....really nothing. so yeah that pisses me off. and also that but there would be floods and we wouldn't have water to drink cuz all the good water mixed in with the sea water meaning we would die. and there would also be heat waves that could kill us. and the pollution is making so many people have asthma today. and how would u like to see our own kind kill ourselves cuz of our stubborness, stupidity and selfishness. not only that but when katrina came and stuff. even though we helped the survivors we rn't doing much to prevent this from happening again. and it's pisses me off that george bush knew and lied to us that he had no idea that this would of happened T-T. anywho like i said in outher threads and stuff. we're slowly killing ourselves and we might be the future mars one day where no one is living and everything that was once green and beautiful would be bright red........heh i bet i sound stupid but i don't care cuz i always sound like this when i'm mad.

"I must destroy the despair-night
To shine in Eternity's sunshine."

Luminous85

Luminous85

Starlit Memories

I worry about this issue! Everytime I see a car puff out a cloud of black, ashy smoke, I think, "Gosh, what could that be doing to our atmospere?!" I'm one of probably very few twenty year olds to not have a license yet, so if I want to do something, I generally have to walk. It isn't all that bad considering it's good exercise, but it takes more than on person to make a difference towards the global warming problem. I'm sure it could progress on it's own no matter what we try to do to stop it, but we're also not helping to slow it down either.

Signature

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

I gotta agree with SebastianvonKane on this one. Humans per se are not the root cause of "global warming". This planet has been going through natural warming and cooling cycles since way way before we "stood upright". Are we speeding up the process? Well there are two schools of thought on that and the argument will probably go on until the next major meteorite impact or super volcano eruption occurs (at which point it becomes a moot point) Can we possbily do something to slow it down? Probably and if nothing else achieving renewable and cleaner (not clean since its all relative) energy on a global scale would definitely be good thing as long as we don't become too lazy.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Archer79

Nerdly Ghost

Quote by Luminous85I worry about this issue! Everytime I see a car puff out a cloud of black, ashy smoke, I think, "Gosh, what could that be doing to our atmospere?!" I'm one of probably very few twenty year olds to not have a license yet, so if I want to do something, I generally have to walk. It isn't all that bad considering it's good exercise, but it takes more than on person to make a difference towards the global warming problem. I'm sure it could progress on it's own no matter what we try to do to stop it, but we're also not helping to slow it down either.

Black, sooty, ashy smoke doesn't generally contain Carbon Dioxide (CO2) any more than clear smoke/breath from oxidizing hydrocarbons. ...So, it's not any more contributory towards global warming... ...However, it can cause irritation in lungs, etc. ...Today's engineering controls try to balance the exact quantities of air in with the fuel to prevent black smoke, as well as to keep the oxygen content low enough to prevent the formation of Nitrous Oxides. :D A good balance to make.

...On a side note, thick, black smoke also tends to be richer in Carbon Monoxide, (CO), which is an odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas. ...Even explosive in the right concentrations. ...Bad stuff... ...But it's not Carbon Dioxide, which you exhale naturally. :D

...In many ways, modern day engines are remarkably clean. ...Producing more CO2 and H20 from a clean burn than other undesireable emissions. CO2 is a gas that is naturally broken down in nature, and believe it or not, the greenhouse gas that is in greatest quantities in our atmosphere is water vapor, (H2O). ...And is also the greatest variable in the greenhouse gas equation. ...That being only a component in the global temperature equation. ...The sun's energy sent to the earth isn't constant, and well, needless to say... ...That may very well be the biggest factor of all.

Mmm Science. ...Don't get to tripped out on the Anthropogenic Emissions thing. ...We may need to emit more someday to cope with the effects of the sun, or some other natural catastrophe!

AngelTAP

AngelTAP

Keeper of the Midnight Sun

I have to say that at least half of the global warming issues can be blames on us. Even just taking a short drive to the store can contrubute some small part. I'm pretty sure that there are cleaner, more efficiant fuel sources out there. It's just that no one has tried to put them into effect, and the ones that have gone into effect and are availible, are usually too expensive for the average person to afford. I do agree that the earth goes through it's natural warming and cooling periods, but we are speeding up this process by contaminating the atmosphere with the emissions from our cars, our industrial plants ect. We are, in more ways than one, killing our earth. If you don't believe me, watch the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" It has
A LOT of truth in it. It shows what could very well happen if we do not change our ways. In fact I think it's what will happen. Hey, I never said I was the optimistic type.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty

rorenzu

rorenzu

Mio Amakura

who else to blame but us...
because we aren't satisfied with something simple,
people need to develop simple things to something greater which destroys the balance of nature causing
calamities and change of weather (like extreme coldness and hotness,,,>>>in a sudden manner)

Together...forever...
Signature
sig and avatar by Kuya JaK

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

On hiatus for january :( sorry!!

Quote by rorenzuwho else to blame but us...
because we aren't satisfied with something simple,
people need to develop simple things to something greater which destroys the balance of nature causing
calamities and change of weather (like extreme coldness and hotness,,,>>>in a sudden manner)

yes i must agree, haha, industrialization and matierialism. stupid old bush hag. nehow, i dont think that we r the only cause tho. it is natural but we r contributing to this deadly prob. >=0! stupid stupid stupid! I H8 INDUSTRIALIZATION! I LUV NATURE! POWER! TO! NATURE! I WILL ALWAYS FITE BY UR SIDE!

Dead in our memories, silent in our hearts...

Luminous85

Luminous85

Starlit Memories

Quote by Archer79

Quote by Luminous85I worry about this issue! Everytime I see a car puff out a cloud of black, ashy smoke, I think, "Gosh, what could that be doing to our atmospere?!" I'm one of probably very few twenty year olds to not have a license yet, so if I want to do something, I generally have to walk. It isn't all that bad considering it's good exercise, but it takes more than on person to make a difference towards the global warming problem. I'm sure it could progress on it's own no matter what we try to do to stop it, but we're also not helping to slow it down either.

Black, sooty, ashy smoke doesn't generally contain Carbon Dioxide (CO2) any more than clear smoke/breath from oxidizing hydrocarbons. ...So, it's not any more contributory towards global warming... ...However, it can cause irritation in lungs, etc. ...Today's engineering controls try to balance the exact quantities of air in with the fuel to prevent black smoke, as well as to keep the oxygen content low enough to prevent the formation of Nitrous Oxides. :D A good balance to make.

...On a side note, thick, black smoke also tends to be richer in Carbon Monoxide, (CO), which is an odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas. ...Even explosive in the right concentrations. ...Bad stuff... ...But it's not Carbon Dioxide, which you exhale naturally. :D

...In many ways, modern day engines are remarkably clean. ...Producing more CO2 and H20 from a clean burn than other undesireable emissions. CO2 is a gas that is naturally broken down in nature, and believe it or not, the greenhouse gas that is in greatest quantities in our atmosphere is water vapor, (H2O). ...And is also the greatest variable in the greenhouse gas equation. ...That being only a component in the global temperature equation. ...The sun's energy sent to the earth isn't constant, and well, needless to say... ...That may very well be the biggest factor of all.

Mmm Science. ...Don't get to tripped out on the Anthropogenic Emissions thing. ...We may need to emit more someday to cope with the effects of the sun, or some other natural catastrophe!

Does that mean that the water vapor produced from the water cycle could be potentially more harmful in contributing to the global warming than CO2? I think that would make sense, and, come to think of it, CO2 shouldn't be so much of a problem since a percentage of it is absorbed in plants for photosynthesis. I don't know... ^_^' lol

Signature

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with a PhD student in climatology. His main idea is that, in the end, we're not really sure how global warming can affect the Earth. His job is to understand if a change in one place of the planet can affect another. In other words, if something happens in Siberia, can it change things over the Atlantic.

What he said was that there indeed is a global warming, and that human beings may act as 'amplifiers' of this phenomena. But so far, it's hard to assess the real effects of this warming.

It's mainly the newspapers and suchlike that make it a danger for the survival of the mankind. In fact, not all scientists agree with the idea that it can be truly dangerous. The fact is that, so far, we can't be sure.

Because his ideas don't follow what the newspapers say ([mode sarcasm on] and we all know that newspapers never lie [mode sarcasm off]), and because he doesn't necessarily agree with the global trend (a mix between science and apocalyptic cults), his papers are often reviewed quite coldly. But that doesn't make them bad.

The truth is that there is a global warming, all right... But we currently don't really know what this means.

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Well if you want to know more about the issuee AL Gore( former vice president) has made a documentry on Globabl warming and it's called An Inconvient Truth, It's out in theaters this weekend.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

This might not be directly related to global warming but...
Food Network for UK (and a lot of other countries)
Lettuce from California: 127Mj for each Mj of food energy delivered
Spinach from Spain lost over 90% of vitamin C lost in transit
Chicken from Thailand and Brazil via Netherlands. UK imports and exports thousands of tonnes of Chicken to and from Thailand. 10,690km in each direction
Carrots are imported from South Africa to meet demand of organic food industry driven by consumers concerned, in part, by the environmental impact of their food purchasing habits

I got this from a lecture...

There was also a study that this is somewhat connected to some natural disasters (strong typhoons/hurricanes, etc.)

ba,but global warming cant be stopped can it? its the by-effect of globalization and industrialization,both of which are unstoppable...wif the upcoming of china,i daresay the effect would be tremendous.

altho much has been done,supposedly,i doubt any of it would really help, not within 10 years frm now tat is. by the time we humans actually realize the gravity of the situation, we'd all be in venusian hell already.

As far as I know... I don't think global warming can be stopped. It's like watching a forest fire grow and well... Simply put, it's almost impossible to put out. The best we all can do know I guess is try to slow it down

Inuyasha-FAN

Inuyasha-FAN

I'm back

Global warming is happing and so far we have not done anything to stop it. We need to stop it before it gets worse!

ibrahimm

ibrahimm

Kick Ass And Chew Bubblegum

Let me put it this way. U are going to die, not 1 buisiness man is going to care. Couse, if they do, they will have to count billions to stop pollution...

Will u do it?

Orokawa Ototoyo........

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Well at least i do something about it, the best thing i contribute is probably the fact that i take public transportation almost every day the rest of the days are in a Hybrid Toyota called the Prius.

People are stupid to think global warming isn't happening, if you look at pictures of the ice caps and the rate of the decline it has started since the industial error.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

Quote by SebastianvonKaneYes and not.
Despite our efforts to keep a clean enviroment and balanced weather, global warming is a part of global weather cycle which takes part in gaps about 50000 years in the earth. So, whatever we did, the earth was meant for that.
The only thing we did is to trigger this phase to a faster step.
It is true, were ruining the whole world, and that's gonna make global warming to turn into a real disaster. Consequeces were not meant to be so critical, but now...let's hope it doesn't get worse, because it is totally TRUE. Global warming will trigger Ice Age.

very well said. but i though the last ice age was caused by a greater tilt in the earth axis. well, anyway...

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.
Roadie of .::DarK LeaF::.

lacusxxclyne

lacusxxclyne

~JUst SmilE & Ill BE FinE~

A scary thought isnt it we going to lose out to global warming and die....

maverickmechanic

maverickmechanic

Absurd Insanity

we're all gonna die anyway. so whats the point in worring about death? there will be another ice age (probably soon to) but man survived that last one, and with the proper prep. we will survie this one. besides there isnt any concrete evidence that it is even happening because we dont know about the earths weather cycle. maybe this is just a normal occurance. everybody blames the increase in hurricanes this year on global warming. its just a natural shift in the waters of the atlantic every 25 years. if you thought last year was bad, a few thousand years ago there were almost 4x as many hurricanes hitting north america. we know this by looking at the soil layers.

Signature ImageThere was glitter everywhere! It looked like somebody stabbed a pixie.
Roadie of .::DarK LeaF::.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 33 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.