Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Retrospective project - Minitokyo

Retrospective project

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

Allrigh so here it is. I want to start out a project of retrospectives. How it shall work? Older members that have been around for a while will be able to write reviews on influencial wallers of the anime wallpaper community. Why? for the fun of having a picture book our descendants can look at. How? read on dear member.

---------NEWS---------------
After 15 weeks of procrastination, this is finally taking form! Thought I had forgotten about yall folks? Oh no no noes. So I ended up writting this bloody template. Right now I'm leeching off friends for help with the website where the reviews and info should be upped. If by any chance you *adore* coding websites or you have free hosting space to give out~ pm me and you will recieve FREE one love declaration!
But for now I pasted everything in here, and will edit the writely page soon enough for the other community friends to take consequent action. So yeah this means that you guys should have what you need to start writting, wich is our main goal for now.
Hoping you'll gladly still participate,
cheers.
N.B.
If you are newly interested- no problem since there is no due date. Simply affirm who you want to review, and ask your questions <3
---------------------------------

--About the Project
Purpose
You might wonder why this was started int the first place. The project is an idea started by one person and developed by many, aiming for the construction of an archive (as wide as possible) of past influences and artistic currents in the anime wallpaper community. The project is intended to be inter-community. This means old wallers and other sites communities are also to participate.

Ethical Disclaimor
-The Retrospective Project is NOT an attempt at boosting artist's egos while being reviewed by fans
-The Retrospective Project is NOT trying to exclude wallers that would not be considered as "influencial" from being reviewed.
-The Retrospective Project is NOT striving for fame in any way
-The Retrospective Project is something criticizers should probably cooperate with in order to enhance it, not ignore and let die.

Objectivity
There seems to be confusion about this. Please know that if you intended to review your favorite-waller-of-all-time (wich is not impossible), you are not to only write an essay of praise. The same criterias should be applied for reviews set on a more negative note. Your personal taste in wallpapers should not be felt throughout your review. Restrain yourself from giving your opinion in the description about the artist's history and works, you will have a specific place later on in the essay for that.
Of course discussing objectivity is not quite fulfilling as it does not really exist. But using your right mind, you are certainly capable of obtaining some sort of neutrality towards the essay and this is what you need to keep in mind.

-->Qualifications

Reviewer
If you have been in the communities for long enough you know it. A good approximation would be at least 1 year/6 months, but it can vary. You need to have seen your reviewed waller evolve and proliferate, or else you will not be able to have a good point of view on his/her overall gallery. Reviewers will be able to review as many wallers as they want to.

Reviewed waller
Well someone that has enough walls to fit in every category. The waller can be long dead or still very active. You don't need to know him/her personally, just as long as you have followed his/her works. DONT pick your best friend and praise him/her. Be the as objective as possible.
-To get a diverse pool of artists and generations, wallers will only be able to be picked once. So make your choice and propose/ask for whoever you want first!
-you can review someone close to you because you know him/her. But remember, objectivity is the key! Don't just praise the waller, pointing out negative aspects is always interesting ( as long as it is kept respectful).
-You cannot review yourself, silly.

-->Things to know before starting:

This is intended to be the most independent, professional and objective possible. Meaning you will need to write this as seriously as you can, think of it as a school essay(but a FUN essay). Subjective matters like comparing wallpaper forums with hatred or bad-mouthing community members will not be accepted. We are one big happy carebear family. Also remember that since this is serious business, you will need to write impersonally ( i.e. no "I"s). On a more technical note, be sure you can find the needed information and files about the artist before choosing anyone. You can't review a waller if any trace of his/her existance have been erased and you don't have any archive to dig into.

When Picking a Wallpaper, remember to:
-Not just pick personal favorites. If you know your taste differs a lot from the majority try to go with the majority, you can always choose something you really like for "special mention"
-Check the feedback. If that wallpaper ever was submitted to forums, try to find the thread/page where users comment, and note if it was positive/constructive/etc.
-Read the artist's commentary. Maybe it would be a good idea to plug several words on what pushed the artist into this piece.

Writing about the Wallpaper:
You are indeed here to place foward the interesting aspects of the wallpaper, positive and negative are both welcome. Here are things that should be found in your text:
-Criteria on wich you based yourself for selection, followed by the title (e.g. Most influencial: .:Summer with Evangelion:.)
-Objective information and description of the wallpaper. The date it was created, anime/artist it features, style and composition. Maybe something interesting to note?
-Community's feedback on the wallpaper. Was it popular? How much? Any "highlight/daily pick/contest winner"?
-Explain why was this wallpaper chosen (i.e. main paragraph)
-You can also talk of the technique of the wallpaper. Try to stay objective (e.g. Things like "Too much green, green is not a nice colour" isn't acceptable but things like "The balance of green and blue was a bit off and it gave the composition a feel of..." are. Pointing out things that were not seen as technical errors or difficulties then might be an interesting idea. (e.g. "outer glow was popular at that time but right now it looks like a newb low-effort method..")

Sharing your review:
When finished, be certain to re-read a couple of times and edit the vocabulary and syntax. Everything will be read before uploaded on the net but you also need to make efforts yourself. Afterwards, send the following to retrowalls@gmail.com:
-The review, with a minimum of format organisation. Subtitles, and paragraphing please. The text can be in a .doc file, or anything that works with both mac/PC
-The 4 wallpapers, full size and acceptable quality
-It may sound stupid to say, but please state who you are reviewing
-The nickname/name you want to be used as a signature
-How is it fastest to contact you (forum pm/valid email)
-Love declarations to candy-chan is also accepted
You should then recieve an answer with updates about your review being processed to the database. You may be asked permission to edit English grammar and syntax.

---------------------------clickie for template and additional info------------------------------------

Wallpaper Artists/Graphists/Wallers;

The list of examples was taken down in perspective of a wider range of requests. The goal of this project is not to ego boost some already "elite" wallers but to have a look on the past history and artistic currents of the anime wallpapers world. Cheers

Taken wallers
-AkashaNosferatu --> DevilDude
-Bantam --> w00tazn
-candy-chan --> smilebit
-Cynical126 -->Tama-Neko
-DernierCri -->DREAM
-drell --> smilebit
-Kalicodreamz -->highknees
-Kev --> candy-chan
-Kuroimisa --> smilebit
-Kenzotsuke --> bromithia
-MeteorCloud --> smilebit
-Minato --> smilebit
-Ocelotisun --> smilebit
-OracleAngel --> DayBreak
-Phong --> Frozenwilderness
-red lee --> w00tazn
-redxxii --> Kalikodreamz
-rem --> 5stringDNA
-sammo --> jackalx66
-Sandy --> Meg
-Sarcastic69 -->Tama-Neko
-Semanga --> candy-chan
-ShiNN --> winterlilac09
-Shinta --> 5stringDNA
-SirBoingalot --> |Osiris|
-Tama-Neko --> Meg
-Tatekane --> Kalicodreamz
-Zero --> 5stringDNA

There are 16 participants and 28 retrospectives to be expected so far

There will be no due date. This means whenever the template is done, you will be able to send your reviews and it will be posted on a site that is for now yet to come.
The project is intended to be inter-community. This means i would like old wallers and other sites communities to also participate. So diffuse away!

If you want to participate, help organise, have anything substantial to say~ post as you wish young child!

--------------------
Another page where the info will be edited quite often, you can check out other site's threads too

Gid

Gid

LAZY AS ALL HELL

I'm totally up for this. I think. Pretty sure anyhow, can't forsee anything changing that.

Quick question though: What if it's a place that didn't do the, "best wall," etc? In AL, we used to have a Best Wall of the Week thing, but that was short lived, and, well, we were a forum, not a gallery, so things worked differently. As a result, a person may not know their waller's most popular wall.

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

Hmm good question. Probably one that at least did the Wall of the Week. Ifnot try to base yourself on the feedback it had. If that's totally impossible I guess you can switch the Most Popular section for something else

sounds cool but...im kinda curious...how many old wallers are still aroudn actually? not really wallers per se, but those who are knowledgable enough to write about some of those people. I pretty much figured most of the old folk are long gone now......
i mean damn...i can maybe think of about 4-5 people who were here since MT opened and are still active.....not a whole lot...

hahah and wow some of the names on that list bring back memories......so nostalgic. uh......

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

hehe.... sounds kinda cool, I wonder who will actually review me (prolly none lol)
I might decide to make one, based on perhaps.... (ugh... later)

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

Can I claim Cyn and Sarc? Teehee...

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

Tama-- they are all yours

EDIT- reply to smilebit--
actually I just didnt think of having negative walls to review. But having one Overrated pick could be a nice idea. The main focus should still be positive as we are having a retrospective of the most influencial wallers, hence the best?

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

i do think that this seems rather malicious in some matter or another. i don't see a category about least influential wall or overlooked wall. oddly it seems sort of, ahem, excuse me for the term, circle jerky. mean simply those who already agree with one another commenting on each others works. i mean that i recognize most of those names even though i haven't actually dropped or been dropped a digital word from a majority of them. i recognize them mostly because those names are what i found in the highlighted or popular section of old mt and new mt....just don't know.

anyhow. i like how you envision an open policy of incorporating other sites. well anyhow, cheers.

Signature

umm...I take Kalico? =.=a

(\ /)
( . .)
c('')('')
World Domination is OURS!

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

nostalgia!

okay, red lee and bantam for me. :D

jackalx66

jackalx66

Blau Mond

sammo \o/ momo desu~

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

DREAM

DREAM

Lord of Dreams

i got the mad genius and proprietor of NuclearSeasons, DernierCri..
yes people the "end" is coming..... :)

good idea, but who are crayon, red lee & redxxii?

perhaps you could add lady bel-san [belmikry] to the list as well?

so when this due sensei candy-chan?
lol first time i have been in the forums in a very very long time...

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

no due date. you will be able to write your review(S) whenever you want. I'll try and hurry up with the final template for you to begin. I'll personally be gone for the whole summer, so you'll have plenty of time to pick more than one waller and refine your essays :)

just a comment but, thought maybe knives would be a good addition to that list. he was probably one of my biggest influence back in the day when i did grungey type stuff.

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I've been adding wallers to the master list but please, tell us more!

kalicodreamz

anti-trendwhore

highknees took me o_O
i feel special xD
-huggles highknees-

ima yoink taters. cause taters is my flip twin...who also happens tobe older than me xD
i'll also do redxxii. i know his works pretty well :3

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

hehe I was sleeping. Remember that list stands as an example to inspire you on who to review, not an official list to pick from ;)
I also don't know all of the eldest wallers out there, so forgive me x]

-Happy you're participating kalico \o/

w00tazn

w00tazn

hottie.

dj-of-e from animelayer requests nat.

Gid

Gid

LAZY AS ALL HELL

I want LSE.

Osiris

Retired Moderator

Osiris

(>^-^)>( . Y . )

ill take boing...damn doggie, i better not hear anything funny from you on msn -_-

Signature

smilebit

smilebit

aristocat

i never liked this thing from the get go, but i'll conform and yet fight against this and write one on drell, minato, meteorcloud, kuroimisa, ocelotisun, and candy-chan. of course i might be adding a few categories of my own, and of course this might take awhile for me to do but hey. cheers.

Signature

candy-chan

Retired Moderator

candy-chan

Feel free to adapt as you wish. My only constraint would be a)good english b)intelligent ideas. I guess if you achieve that there will be no problem~

nat

Scanner

nat

collector

You know, to create a list of people, that are thought to be influential or inspire other wallers, doesn't do anything other than create egos and make divisions in a hobby that really doesn't need any of either. Communities thrive because there are hundreds and thousands of individuals that all have something unique to contribute. Every single person has the ability to make something memorable or "popular." But what suffocates that natural creativity is the other people who need to make a LIST of what and who is considered "good" or "popular" or "influential." People coin words for styles like "sceneric" and cease to evaluate wallpapers individually, and instead view it or degrade it as part of some massive trend.

The only way this list could ever be useful is if it included everyone that ever made an anime wallpaper. But that's not going to happen because there's always an underlying need for some people to be a member of a smaller, more exclusive community---a clique, which smilebit has already alluded to.

For lack of a better term, this is extremely circle jerky.

Check out my art book and doujinshi reviews! http://www.nattoli.net

winterlilac09

winterlilac09

white freed by her savior~

As determined on IRC, I'll take ShiNN and write a review. =) Seems like this project's coming along rather well so far.

f a l l i n g . i n t o . s w e e t . c e l e s t i a l . d r e a m
l i g h t . i n . s h e e r . a n d . s i m p l e . s l e e p

Signature Image

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 39 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.