Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Domestics vs Imports - Minitokyo

Domestics vs Imports

page 1 of 1 8 total items

dMp

dMp

^___________^

i've been doing some browsing on various websites that sells anime dvds and some questions came to my mind. this may sound kind of dumb but how are the two different, in terms of censorship, cuts, edits, etc.? which is better in your opinion?

i'm curious, cuz i have not bought any imports before. i sometimes see "uncut" labels on domestic dvds and that gets me wondering "is this the original...how many versions are there?" please share your thoughts or comments here. i'd like to hear 'em all. an example would be appreciated as well.

sonryu

sonryu

DVD Box Designer

Well, anything domestic is liable to all sorts of edits, be it visual or script. Even an uncut anime dvd with a subtitle track can still be "edited" in someone's eyes if the translation isn't translated perfectly word for word. The import however typically doesn't have subtitles at all; it's a Japanese DVD for a Japanese audience, so they don't need a translation for their own language. As for content, they really should be the same, unless it's a specific case like a "broadcast version" DVD. As for quality, I believe Japanese DVD's have a better visual/audio quality than our DVD's typically because since they put less episodes per disc, they have less data compression. Won't do you much good unless you can understand Japanese however, but there are plenty of people that collect import DVD's because of their higher quality and better packaging for simply that reason.

shoujoboy

shoujoboy

Launching shoujoboy 2.0

I agree with sonryu for the most part, except for the cutting of domestic releases. Domestic releases usually don't cut anything out at all and in fact usually they fish around for the actual directors cuts of various shows. If they do cut out material, you know about it long before it actually releases (IE Naruto). I prefer domestic releases simply because I get much more bang for my buck. $20 for 4 episodes or $50-60 for 2 episodes... easy.

Under construction. Who doesn't like plain text anyway?

dMp

dMp

^___________^

wait, you both are saying import dvds have less episodes on each disc? i've always thought of it the other way around. domestics have less episodes per disc...or am i wrong? hmm ok here take a look at this website i've found ThisIsAnime. clearly here, the imports stuffs in more episodes than the domestics. if it'll help, look for a title that is licensed, then check both versions. the price for imports are alot cheaper compared to the domestics alot. as you can see here, you can practically get a whole season worth of anime for the same price of a 4 episode domestic dvd...or have i been deceived by such place? and as for quality wise, this would mean the domestic dvds have higher quality compared to the imports according to what sonryu said. confusing :(

helmet02

Helmet Rule

the only domestic anime i've found to be cut is Naruto cause it was converted for use by Cartoon Network so it had to be edited for US tv, they take out a lot of the blood and cussing not to mention there is no origional japanese dialogue or subtitles on the disk, just previews and the episodes. so i guess all i can say is choose carefully, it's better to have an uncut version with wierd subtitles than an edited version in English

Whatever helmet says is true so believe it or else... nothing happens. so obey foolish mortals!!

angelicdemonIII

angelicdemonIII

Dark and Light

well there are to different kinds imports there are the Hong Kong imports that are really cheap and have really bad subtitles. and then there are the actural japanese dvds that cost alot of money. one dvd with about 5 episodes on it is about $50 to 60 bucks! well I would say to buy the domestics boxsets they always have more things than the imports.

Signature Image

dMp

dMp

^___________^

@ angelicdemonIII
yeah that's what i decided in the end. knowing those cheap imports are more than likely bootlegs, the subtitles wouldn't be real and the video would probably be crappy quality anyways. getting the actual japanese dvds wouldn't help either cuz i can't understand jap ^_^'
guess i'll stick to domestics.

Kyoo69

me -> Kyo`

Basicly if you buy an original from import (Japan) you don't have english subtitles and you're coocked if you dont't speak fluent japanese :P So domestic is the only thing that is left for a normal anime fan that want's to buy a serie. Depending on the domestic company that relases it, if it will be slightly different from the original (cuted i.e.) or not.

up up and away

page 1 of 1 8 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.