Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Opinions on buying downloadable/extra content. - Minitokyo

Opinions on buying downloadable/extra content.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

VindicatoR

VindicatoR

Greato!

I'm interested to know the opinions people have on buying content which requires downloading or adding to you're favorite game.

Example may it be buying money/items for you're favorite MMORPG or buying extra content for you're favorite X360 game or even buying online multimedia, without having a hard/physical copy of what you paid for.
Would u or would u not?

himura088

himura088

~Smile

i would usually not.. haha.. especially in games.. I feel that money should be kept and used for rainy days.. haha

Depends, if you are talking about decent sized expansion packs or whole games then fine, but charging for themes and stuff on 360 is pretty dodgy, I mean they don't charge you to get the screensaver for PC.

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I see a lot of people argue about this, that no additional content for a game you already own should cost anything. I think thats kind of ridiculous. I mean they are working on NEW content that was not readily available for the original game, that means they are continueing to work...should they have to work for free? No, why bother making things for it then. This provides incentive for game companies to make additional content because they can charge for it, and at the same time gets people interested in the game because so many add ons are becoming available for it. I purchased The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion for my 360, I have purchased all add-ons for that by downloading via XBox Live. I have no problem for this, because they aren't ridiculously priced. I will soon be purchasing the Map Packs for SOCOM 3 as well, little more pricey at $5.99, but I'm sure they worked hard on them, and they happen to be most everyones favorite maps to play on now. So in a nutshell I am FOR buying/downloading add on content. I'd also like to point out to you, most downloaded content comes with a reciept to prove your purchase that way if you lose it somehow you can always go back and re-download for free.

Its all about pricing really, if it reasonably priced nobody would complain. The reason people do is that they are charging too much for too little. I for one am looking foward do downloading classic games onto Wii later in the year, but rumours indicate they might be a little pricey at US$10 for a N64 game, which is pretty high considering how the whole idea was to make it accessible.

A recent penny arcade comic covered this, I'll post a link later if I can be bothered.

I am mostly against the idea of buying EXTRA content by downloading or adding it to your favorite game. I am, however for buying entire games that a person has to download. Now let me tell you why, I use a program called STEAM from a company called VALVE. For those of you who do not know what steam or valve is: http://www.steampowered.com/
Ok now like I said I am totally against having to pay for most EXTRA game content. I have two reasons for this, number one I have been playing counterstrike source for about a year and a half now, and VALVE the company that makes counterstrike source has been consistently releasing FREE content over their steam client delivery system since the launch date of counterstrike source on Nov 16, 2004 . Now if they can do that why cant other video game companies?
The second reason why I am almost totally against having to pay for content is, because people who play a game can MAKE THEIR OWN CONTENT. This is also true for most of Valves Games such as Counterstrike, Counterstrike Source , Day of Defeat Source, ect. I have so much third party Content created by players of these games such as MAPS, SOUNDS, MUSIC, SKINS, and EVEN SMALL MODS that it takes up several GIGS of my hard drive. AND it is all delivered to your computer through STEAM in game. If you do not have content that a paticular server is using then you simply download and use the content from that server That is why Millions of people still regularly play these games.
Another great example of a game with most of its content created by the users of the game is SECOND LIFE. You can Play this game totally for free as long as you have a credit card number. I have not actually played this game but I have read alot about it. The vast majority of things you can do and buy in this game are created buy the user. Now from what I have heard you do have to spend actual money in this game to buy things, but I also heard if you do well you can actually MAKE REAL MONEY by selling stuff in the game which is really cool.
The one exception I find exceptable to actually have to buy extra content is with LARGE packages of extra content that take alot of time and patients to create. For example, expansion packs and well made third party mods, such as HALF LIFE 2 episode 1 (also made by VALVE). I have no problem spending $20 to buy this expansion pack because I know that Valve put alot of time and money to create this game and add features like new enemies and High Dynamic Range Rendering. Otherwise, NO! I do not want to pay 3-5 dollars for a map pack over xbox live just because it was made by the company that produced the game. I would however pay for xbox live (just not the extra content) because I know it takes money to build and run those xbox live servers.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Games | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.