Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The Myth of the American Dream - Minitokyo

The Myth of the American Dream

page 1 of 1 17 total items

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

We heard in the news or the media how illegal imagrants move to the U.S. What were searching for? The answer is the American Dream. the American Dream is the idea that if you work hard in the U.S. you'll live long and prosper, so to speak, and I guess its why some people risk everything to come here. But I sometimes wonder if it's true and apply to everyone settling in the U.S. Is the dream just a myth or a reality? Are there exceptions to the dream? What do you think?

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

Vagrant123

Vagrant123

I'm having a mid-death crisis.

Myth. It may exist *temporarily* for some people, but otherwise, it does not really happen. BTW, that phrase reminds me of Max Payne. XD

Signature

"I'm stuck on bandages because bandages are stuck on me."

http://forums.xgenstudios.com

UniKron

UniKron

Rated H

all i have to say is.... Credit.... the American Nightmare.....

btw enigma your threads are so thought/fight provokeing, meh loves it

Nihonjin kanojo boshu-chu ^.^ Serious inquiries only plz!!

itsDchlorine

itsDchlorine

The Yin & The Yang

"The American Dream" was actually true at one point of America's history during the the first century of the birth of America, however due to the Industrial revoltion and the massive change the US has undertaken its makes it harder, but at the same time musch easier to become rich. its confusing i noe but when you look at it if you work hard and stay out of trouble (credit, debt, illegal activity) u could become rich and prosper freely, but with all the credit, the urge to cheat, lie, and corruption can really make it difficult to acheive "The American Dream" Cuz if u look at it workers from had the Idea of "the AMerican Dream" but in reality it was basically impossible for poor people or even middle class citizens to become a millionare NO WAy did that ever happen from 1779-1890's di that ever happen, without hard work, mostly the people who were entrepenour made the very percentage of people who actually became rich, and Lewis and Clark, foudnt he road to the Pacific, u noe the inventors, LOL im talkign so long but it is actually true if u work hard, but in our bitter merciless world, there are those who bypass hard work and make their way towards gold and we cant do crap about it, thats jsut my thoughts on "The American Dream"

This signature violates the signature guidelines, thus it has been removed.

i think the american dream rests in the possibility. that if you work hard and try your best you have a chance at getting the things that you want. there are some places that no matter hard you try, the system is so set against you that you cannot advance yourself. the system in america, or just the situation maybe, is changing to become more difficult to attain your dreams, but i think we still have a great deal of control over our futures.
and yes, credit is bad. it can be helpful, but most people are too foolish to use it properly.
i still have great hope for the future. in this life there are nothing but possibilities.

enigma444444

enigma444444

Hallucinating

Ummm quoting itsDchlorine *too long to quote* Yeah the American Dream is a part of history, that I know, but presently there are tons of ways to bypass that system and ways that the hard-working poor remain poor and the like. I still wonder why imagrants try so hard to get to America for the American Dream yet they might not get what they hope for...very sad....

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true."
- Robert Wilensky

sanmadjack

sanmadjack

Tube tops are too cylindrical

In protest to our situation we should start a club where we get together and beat the crap out of eachother.

Signature
Registered Linux user 395626
Hi-Res Icons - http://www.rabiez.tk/
Want a gmail address? Let me know, I've got invites coming out of my butt!

UniKron

UniKron

Rated H

Quote by sanmadjackIn protest to our situation we should start a club where we get together and beat the crap out of eachother.

RoH SHam Bo!!! i get first kick!!!

Nihonjin kanojo boshu-chu ^.^ Serious inquiries only plz!!

Quote by sanmadjackIn protest to our situation we should start a club where we get together and beat the crap out of eachother.

except for the fact that i am afraid of pain, i would join your fight club.

The dream is a eality I would say because my dad did the same thing and look where I am now, a big house with a family of 5. I guess that was his dream. I believe in giving everyone oppurtunity . . . but . . . there is a point where you are doing harm to the country.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
-Emiliano Zapata

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

Well, I am pretty sure almost everyone in the world right now hates US. I have no idea why anyone wants to go there.

It is dirty. The people there are just fat and stupid.
This is just a general opinion, no offence to the rest of you guys.

Signature

I think the American Dream is true to some and myth to others. It really just depends.

But I beleave in the American Dream. I think that we are very lucky to have a place like America because you are free to have so many things over here. Some might dissagree with me once they read this post but to tell you the truth I don't really care, cause I beleave that there is an American Dream. It just matters if you notice it or not...

There's a difference between the American Dream and American Reality. However, I have to say that the US does provide a lot of opportunities, especially if you compare the US with other nations.

Be Free and Masturbate

RainOfStars

RainOfStars

Elusive Dream

In US, you can sometime change your future. But the environment is so bad there, compare to other places, such as Canada, France, or England. The people and environment is way much better, and you get the chance to improve your life.

Signature

sakurasuki

sakurasuki

rakuen

it's true that that's the american dream. but it's not true that everyone can be prosperous. like from the "american letters" sent home by the irish in the 1840s, not everyone succeeded, they don't want to talk about hardships. besides that, many of these went back home after making a fortune. in america, you have to work you butt off in order to succeed, especially if you are not white. <-- excuse the racist term

Quote: But the environment is so bad there, compare to other places, such as Canada, France, or England

Really? Throughout the entire United States? I must have missed this entirely. I would have thought that someplace like Yellowstone National Park was a less polluted place than, say, downtown Toronto. Fewer cars and people, for instance.

Pollution is largely centered on cities, which is reasonable, since people and machinery are concentrated there. Which is true of most every country in the world. Is Seattle so much worse than Vancouver, simply by virtue of being in the United States? There are other factors that affect pollution levels, like size, climate, location, and technology. More developed countries pollute less than developing countries, and location affects if that pollution has anywhere to go and dissipate.

Which is why Mexico City has some of the worst air in the world; it's the largest city in the Western Hemisphere (second largest in the world), is in a lakebed surrounded by mountains, and a good many of those 20 million people drive cars that use leaded gasoline.

Quote: The people and environment is way much better, and you get the chance to improve your life.

Since I've already talked about the environment, I'll go straight to that crack about the people being better.

If you'll forgive me, just what the fudge is that supposed to mean? Is it related to that generalization of everyone being "fat and stupid"? Are there somehow not fat and stupid people in Canada, England or France? Or are the people just better by vitrue of not being Americans?

If you're going to sneer down your nose at a population of 300 million and pronounce yourself better than all of them, are you really any better than them?

Whether American Dream is reality or not the fact is there are some people who want to come to United States doing whatever it takes to take them there and some pay unfortunately with their lives in trying.

Quote by RainOfStarsWell, I am pretty sure almost everyone in the world right now hates US. I have no idea why anyone wants to go there.

It is dirty. The people there are just fat and stupid.
This is just a general opinion, no offence to the rest of you guys.

I wish you don't give such a generalized statement without backing it up.

page 1 of 1 17 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.