Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 What do you think about cliches in anime? - Minitokyo

What do you think about cliches in anime?

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Hi people, i ve been watching anime for about 8 years... when i got into this... anything related to Japan with big eyes seem to be cool... but after some time i ve become more picky about what anime i would like to watch.

I gotta tell you, there a tons of cliches in anime... for example the magical girls in short skirts and huge breast, the cute animals with superpowers, the megapowerfull robot, the ultimate martial arts fighters and the clumsy nice boy that becomes a playboy out of nothing. I ve got tired of those cliches little by little... once you have seen Sailormoon you have seen 90% of all magical girl shows... same happens with Harem animes, Robot animes, Shounen series like Naruto... etc.

So right now i kind of look for animes that go against the cliche... animes with a twist that makes them different from the whole pack. For example the Full Metal Alchemist was a nice surprise... i think that FMA was another Dragon Ball/Naruto anime make for selling toys and get kids all around the world obssess about some apocalyptic fight... but to my surprise it was a really smart, complex show that remind me why i got into anime in the first place.

Its not that i have some against the cliches... i mean, if i got excited the first time i watched sailormoon or dragon ball, why shouldn't people be excited about shows like Naruto or Bleach. But as i ve been growing into anime, i learned to appreciate innovative shows... like BECK, NANA, VANDREAD, SAMURAI CHAMPLOO,GENSHIKEN just to name a few, that take a good story, sometimes a really simple story with simple characters and achieve something memorable.

Signature

TessaLover12

TessaLover12

MT is My Home!

You can obviously tell what's going to happen depending on the genre, but yeah I know what you mean. I've seen enough of those people.

R.I.P. The King of the Ring Eddie Guerrero, and The King of Pop Michael Jackson
Signature Image
Courtesy of soujiokita

i agree with you... i'm picky too... FMA was a nice surprise to me too because i was sure it was just another shonen...

i got your point and i had to it that every new series has something that the first didn't have... why did i liked BLEACH or NARUTO ? because - except the fact that they are shounen, with the basical plot and cliches of the genre - they got a better work on the caracters, their behaviour... even 2ndary caracters got a real story behind them, their own motivation and goals to achieve...

if it's not that, i look at the design, music, atmosphere... every anime has its own magic that make us want to see...

"The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice, the conscious ability to override evolution and self-preservation for a cause, a friend, a loved one." Quote from Babylon V

reening

Black Passion

True, true. The good thing about cliches in anime is it keeps the history of cliches alive.

When there is a dream, there is a fantasy

FinalFantasyFans

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Well just think about all the cliches you miss if you aren't Japanese and/or don't read the liner notes. There are so many that crop up that really aren't understood by most non-Japanese anime watchers.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

chisaikame

chisaikame

happy camper o^^o

cliches can be ok- it can't be helped.. it's targeted to a specific sort of genre/mentality of the viewers which could still be a variety.. but it must be done in good taste, imo.. meaning it still holds a certain uniqueness that you haven't seen on another series/still manages to make everything look interesting/surprising.. :) haibane renmei holds the no. 1 spot to me, imo. ^_^'

ego vici mundum

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by chisakamecliches can be ok- it can't be helped.. it's targeted to a specific sort of genre/mentality of the viewers which could still be a variety.. but it must be done in good taste, imo.. meaning it still holds a certain uniqueness that you haven't seen on another series/still manages to make everything look interesting/surprising.. :) haibane renmei holds the no. 1 spot to me, imo. ^_^'

I partially agree but an over-cliched show done correctly regradless of taste can be extremely funny.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Devilet

Devilet

~ cyNicaLDeviL ~

Well, when you think about how many anime there are out there. I think you'll understand not all can be original, and in some ways they may also be trying to do a quick success by "copying" certain things. For me personally, I'm tired of the harem type anime, where you got one guy and many girls around him ... They're all very boring, and the guy is usually a dork who gets stuck in "oh-so-perverted-situations". It may be only funny for the first few episodes, I hope everyone can understand I'm referring to mostly Love Hina type stuff.

But I must say, the MOST cliched of all has to be mecha series. It seems childhood drama is really liked in such series, and it's almost always teenagers piloting those things, funny how that happens. Important thing is, not many people strive to be different nowadays, writers seem to be lazy. I'm very picky with new anime, I've seen so many bad ones, they don't try at all to make it original.

I'm not entirely happy with cliched anime, because it can be boring, as if you seen it a thousand times. But as long as it's done well, you may be able to watch it.

chisaikame

chisaikame

happy camper o^^o

Quote by Mnemeth
I partially agree but an over-cliched show done correctly regradless of taste can be extremely funny.

sou ka- like a parody.. ^^

ego vici mundum

Dreamer25

Dreamer25

Dreamer

For me the cliches are what I love. Sometimes it is played out, but still it remind me of times where these cliches first appeared. Though it is great when fresh new anime deprived of cliches are presented in front of me.

Evil Mind Good Heart

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.