Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 trick question! - Minitokyo

trick question!

page 1 of 1 9 total items

let's say that you wanted to buy a good quality ps2 controller worth $97 but you don't have money at the moment thus you borrowed 50$ from friend A and another $50 from friend B, and so you went and bought the $97 ps2 controller and got a change of $3.. you went back and payed friend A and B $1 and $1 to yourself so that now you owe them $49 each since $49 + $49 + $1 = $98.. now, tell me where did the $1 go to?..

this may not be a trick question but a brain twister, actually no matter what you call it, you still have to think.. think about it! hehe.. :P

merged: 08-17-2006 ~ 12:10am
correction : $49 + $49 + 1$ = $99 not $98 sorry.. it's already late here and we still have exams tomorrow so i am pooped from studying.. :P

make use of what you have currently.. focus on the present with the past to guide you and the future to look forward to..

the $1 is left for yourself....

Laevantine

Could it be you?

I think what EternalEthelion means is that
(49+1) + (49+1) = 100 and yet you still have $1 from that $3 change. And that makes it $101 somehow...

Weird. Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night pondering that.

Signature
Kudos to k1ru!

Lionhearted911

Lionhearted911

~:. LioNe$s .:~

okay...here is what i figured out, i know i suck...never said i was smart...
but...
you should have borrowed 48.1 from ech, why the hell did you ask for extra? or didn't they have change? why did you take from two people? complicating matters...

but since you took the one and kept it...isn't that all?

you start out with $100, then you pay $97...$3 left...give to both friends...$2...and took $1 ...that makes $100...again back to your initial amount, ne? i think i'll ask my math teacher tomorrow...

Signature Image
FaMiLy MeAn$ NoBoDy GeTs LefT BeHinD 0r ... FoRgoTTen ... ^^

yaaa, meee tooo, but because u owe both a and b $49 so in total it's $99 that's what he said, so when u give away the $49 to one and the other $49 to the other, u still have the $1 left? ^ right?Laevantine...

* The ps2 controller costed 97$.
* friend A gave you 50 $, you owe him/her 50 bucks.
* friend B gave you 50 $, you owe him her 50 bucks.
* you get 3 $ change.
* you give friend A 1$, and friend B 1$, so you still have 1$.

Duh :P (hey, how the heck is a ps2 controller 97 bucks ?! :P :o)

rituel

rituel

kLepToMAniaX Designs

this is similar to my 30 dollars question.. what i remember is it's a mathematical error.. for some reason you can't do the math that way.. XD

Bisuketto

Bisuketto

"Conversational Fountain"

Quote by EternalEthelionthis may not be a trick question but a brain twister, actually no matter what you call it, you still have to think.. think about it! hehe.. :P

./

Quote by rituelthis is similar to my 30 dollars question.. what i remember is it's a mathematical error.. for some reason you can't do the math that way.. XD

./
-------------------------------------------(...)
Simple bookkeeping... The way in which this the 'riddle' is written is fallacious

Credits
t=0 -------------- t=1 --------- t=2 --------- t=3 --------- t=4
50 (50) --------- (100) -------- (3) ------- 97 (100) ------ (98)
50 (100)

Debits
t=0 -------------- t=1 --------- t=2 --------- t=3 --------- t=4
50 (50) ------- 97 (197) ----- (100) ------- (100) ------ 2x1 (98)
50 (100)

t=0 time of loan (instantaneously obtain credit and debit, unlike t=1,2,3)
t=1 time when you pick controller off shelf (literally, before you pay at the counter, your debits are now loan 1 + loan 2 + controller $197) [you credits are still $100]
t=2 when you pay for the controller [(D) = 100; (C) = 3] *note shopkeeper now has controller and your money
t=3 when you are given the controller by the shopkeeper [(D) = 100; (C) = 100]
t=4 when you repay the one dollar to the two friends [(D) = 98; (C) = 98]

Notice how credits and debits balance at the end of it all? The trick comes in with the dollar you get at the end of it, it is both a debit and a credit; you got it back as change (and didnt repay it for whatever reason $0.50c is reasonable to repay?), but it is not technically yours. Another thing was to discount the controller as a credit... although not money, if you give the controller and one dollar to both friends at t=4 then you repay the loans.

^^ boy that wasnt "simple" I hope I got it right :)

'I set the timers for six minutes, the same six minutes you gave me, it was the least I could do for a friend'
'If it's not broken, don't fix it'
Signature

Lionhearted911

Lionhearted911

~:. LioNe$s .:~

huh huh? i wanna get it...but i don't...loools...

merged: 10-08-2006 ~ 10:09pm
why do you give the controller? i mean if you didn't want it why borrow in the first place...ara...confused............

Signature Image
FaMiLy MeAn$ NoBoDy GeTs LefT BeHinD 0r ... FoRgoTTen ... ^^

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to Off-topic Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.