Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Is redistributing your personal scans ok? - Minitokyo

Is redistributing your personal scans ok?

page 1 of 1 7 total items

fluke

fluke

What once was good enough...

I've been looking around some places, MT one of them. During my visits I see comments like "Do not redistribute my personal scans" or something to that effect. I ask myself when I see something like that, of all places to put something you DON'T want redistributed, why put it on the internet? Why scan it in at all? I fail to see the point of doing it, if you don't want it redistributed this is not the place to put it.

I understand wanting the recognition of scanning it, taking your time and money to do so, but in the end...it's not your artwork you are sharing(unless you actually illustrated or created it.) So how can you lay claim to it by asking or demanding it not to be shared? Is not the act of scanning a artbook you paid for and then uploading it to a imageboard illegal? I'm not entirely sure of the implications or legality, but that to me sounds as illegal as fansubs are. So I ask again, how can someone then ask for those illustrations not to be redistributed?

If I were to buy an artbook and take the time and effort to scan each page in meticulously, I would love to see it shared across the internet, I would feel proud that everyone liked it as much as myself. The same goes for what few wallpapers I have made, I love to see them pop up on other sites, I feel proud that my work is shared and that others enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

I guess I could make a suggestion while I'm here asking these questions; If you are concerned that you will not be recognized for your efforts of scanning in some illustrations, why not put a watermark on them with your name saying you scanned it, much like the original artist does or one would do on a wallpaper you would create?

So I'm eager to hear others thoughts upon this, let me know what you think on this subject.

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

Wow ummm well this is kind of a touchy subject in my opinion. On one hand you hit it on the nail, what right do these members have in staking claim to these scans since they did not design nor draw them. On the otherhand though it might be a case that they aren't staking claim to the scans themselves so to speak but the fact that they are personal scans and not some scan you find on 4chan or something.

Some people take the time and effort to scan these which at times can be difficult. Some even go as far as editing the scans to try and improve the quality. It's only natural that some don't want their efforts reproduced a million times on various sites. Although you do have a point, this is the internet nothing is safe really. It really depends on the person honestly.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Ouch yea in a way you are right... Wel spystreak mentioned that you some scans are personal scan as some of us claim.... but still it is something we take from others to scan and not really ours...

Putting a watermark is a great idea but sometimes it damage the quality of the scans ^_^...

Well we dont have 100% guarantees that others actually took the time to edit those scans... in fact i dont put an effort to name some of my scans as my personal scan... no matter how long i took to edit it.. to play it safe i always put it as not my scan incase some idiot comes along claiming that its his or hers causein some way it is from the same artbook or source..

So basically the word here is honesty... internet is too advance for its own good sometimes...

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

Tama-Neko

Tama-Neko

Invisible

I think the important thing for people to remember is, once you post something on the internet, you no longer control it.
That is why I don't care if my wallpapers get ripped. I might not like it, but I'm not going to do anything about it.
The same goes for anything I've scanned. After all, I scan them to be shared.
There are two exceptions to this: First off, I will prosecute anyone who rips my wallpapers on MT or AP. Why? Because I'm an active member of both places, plus it's really darn fun.
Secondly, I also prefer my scans not to be reposted to AP. I scanned them and I feel I should be entitled to the papers one gains by posting scans to AP.
Other than that, you have to grow a thick skin to be on the intarweb.

fluke

fluke

I agree with you Tama, that if you did in fact scan them in yourself you should reap the benefits from them and also that they are on the internet to be shared.

Hiraku-San

Hiraku-San

::. Back in Singapore .::

Quote by flukeI agree with you Tama, that if you did in fact scan them in yourself you should reap the benefits from them and also that they are on the internet to be shared.

If scans you are talking about... Wel i agree.. Reaping it's benefits for the time it last and letting it be shared.. after all my purpose of putting them on is to share :) lol either way it will be just a matter of time before the scans you just added is spread to the whole world and is a common item in search engines XD

But wallpaper is the real issue that bothers me... thses are stuff we really made ourselves and our purpose for putting it up in the net is more for recognition... the internet on the other hand helps others to just ripped it off... Is too bad we cant find something other than the net to express our artistic talents...

Just wondering has anyone experience a time when someone comes up to you saying that the scan was his when the matter of fact is just coincidence that you actually scan it from the same artbook?

a big THANK YOU to my lovely and humorous friend,the irresistable Devilet X-P
Signature
No time to make a userpage....
Junkii member no. 16

fluke

fluke

I haven't personally scanned a lot of stuff myself, only a couple of things that I could find here and there, so I couldn't speak on that matter.

As for the wallpapers, the ones I made, I made for others to use...they can feel free to share them anywhere they want, so long as they don't claim them as their own work is fine by me.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Art | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.