Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 G-Gao... (AIR) - Minitokyo

G-Gao... (AIR)

Tagged under Air

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

- MAJOR SPOILERS HERE. DON'T READ UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO. -

*Deep breath* KUSO! Someone should've warned me about AIR. I was thinking that it was going to be another romance anime that one of my friends recommended to me. Little did I know how freakn' sad the storyline was. I went it happy and came out teary... whilst trying to hold back my emotions. It's kinda hard to believe that it was based on a hentai game.

Anyway, as usual I have questions about the anime. So here it goes!

Question 1:
What's the point of putting 'The 1000th summer' at the opening of the anime?

Question 2:
Do they ever reveal who Minagi's half-sister is at the end? Or do we have to assume that it's Michiru?

Question 3:
Was the original Michiru just a spirit/fragment of a dream or a real person?

Question 4:
What's the significance of the crow? I can't help but feel that there's more to it than it just being a companion to Misuzu.

Question 5:
What the heck happens with Yukito? I mean, does he like leave to another town or does he leave the world?

Question 6:
Why does the 2 kids at the end say that it's the end for Misuzu and Yukito but a new beginning for them?

Question 7:
What was the point of the summer arc (the ones about Kanna, Ryuuya and Uraha)?

Question 8:
Is Misuzu a 'winged-being'? And what happens to her... apart from dying.

Question 9:
What exactly was 'the curse of the winged-being' that they were referring to?

Finally, is the movie a suppletary kinda thing that presents a different view to the AIR universe or just a alternate retelling of the story? Because if it is to present a different view to the AIR universe then I'm totally confused with the whole AIR storyline.

Also, can someone explain the whole point of the story? 'Coz I watched this all in one day and to me, they hadn't really accomplished anything. Like all story's have a problem or an obstacle that the characters have to overcome but in AIR I just don't really see it.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Some people may say that your cup may be half-full, some may say that it is half-empty. But I say, are you gonna drink it or not?
PCPP Forum - Internode GN Forum - GameArena Forum - StaticSub Forum - OCAU Forum - Atomic v2.5 Forum - DS Australia Forum - Whirlpool Forum - MiniTokyo Forum - Madman Entertainment Forum - Clan TeamqQp - AsiaGroove - Bleach7

Signature Image

I'll answer these questions based on my memory (from watching it a year ago). Note that a lot of the facts left in the show are open to several possibilities/interpretations, so there may be variations in answers:

1) I'm guessing this has to do with the number of years (1000) since what happened to Kanna in the Summer chapter. Literally, this is the 1000th year since Kanna's soul (Misuzu's in the current time) plunged into the cursed reincarnation cycles.

2) To me they are the same person - a reincarnated Michiru with her own life.

3) A projection of what Michiru would have grown into had she been born. I believe she is a wandering spirit (of Michiru herself), fed alive by her mother's memories of & for her. Her 'dream form' could no longer exist the moment her mother 'woke up from her dreams' (and realised that Michiru did not exist).

4) Wings (most significantly). The use of a crow also probably signifies the fact that they are related to death, which is appropriate with the final storyline.

5) With the magic stored in the ancient doll, he was transformed into the crow.

6) I believe they are the reincarnations of Yukito and Misuzu herself. The soul of that little girl (Misuzu's) is likely still carrying the same curse but the boy (Yukito/the crow) is now there for her. They will fight it together (thus a new beginning for them).

7) An explanatory arc on why Misuzu was suffering what she was suffering from.

8) She is the reincarnated form of Kanna. I suggest you watch the Summer arc again (and pay close attention to Uraha's explanations at the end of the arc).

9) The curse includes the inability to get close to anyone, a perpetual sadness and an endless cycle of death & reincarnation. Keeping in mind Uraha's explanations, you should now understand why Misuzu (and her previous reincarnates) died.

I haven't watched the movie yet but I believe it offers a parallel storyline to the TV show, not a sequel nor supplementary show.

Cheers!

Edit:
It was a mistake too to watch it all in one go, as your mind really had no time to absorb and reflect on the content of individual episodes. I took my own sweet time watching the show (I find 'anime-marathon' pointless - deprives one of being able to appreciate the art & sound, not to mention story, of the show). The whole point of the show cannot simply be described in words; you have to understand it in order to appreciate the beauty of the story.

Edit 2:

Quote: It's kinda hard to believe that it was based on a hentai game

More accurately, it is based on a visual novel (one of the best out there in fact!). The hentai element was added to draw more attention but I believe it only served to distract from an otherwise outstanding storyline. Later versions of the AIR game had the hentai scenes removed and the anime is based on this 'newer' version.

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

Attempt #2 - PC BSOD :angry: . Thank God that I can still remember all of it though.

Quote by EnchanterIt was a mistake too to watch it all in one go, as your mind really had no time to absorb and reflect on the content of individual episodes.

Maybe... yes but to an extent. Normally the run time of AIR (along with the movie and summer specials) is approxiamtely 8 hours. However, I took the utter most care in understanding the subtitles and the plot. This is why it took me around 10 hours to complete the whole series. To be honest, I don't understand why I couldn't grasp hold of the story of AIR. Perhaps it was because I tried to watch 4 series in 4 days (with sleep in between ofcourse)... but we'll never know since I won't be watching the entire series again, it's too painful. Anyway, it's not that I don't know the entire story but rather I'm just missing bits and pieces of what would be the complete story.

Thus this is why I have come up with my own synopsis/thesis of the events that happened in AIR. It deals with what happens to Yukito and Misuzu by using what I've seen in AIR and the information given by Enchanter. Please correct any information that I've gotten wrong.

--------------------

Kanna has been separated from her mother ever since she was born. She is feared to bring bad luck, death and destruction to the world as she is a winged-being. This is why she has been held captive in a manor surrounded by guards from the time that she was born. However, even though she is a winged-being she cannot escape as she cannot move her wings and fly. Even if she does try to escape she will be immdiately killed by the Imperial guards.

Ryuuya is a newly appointed guard that is supposed to prevent Kanna from ever leaving the manor. However, he and Uraha develops a special relationship between one another. So strong is the relationship that they could be considered a family. This one of the impetus's for the reason to leave the manor, as Ryuuya and Uraha believe it is wrong to hold one captive without one ever sinning.

They decide to leave in search of Kanna's mother who also is a winged-being. However, she is considered tainted as she possess the curse of immortality from devouring the flesh of a mermaid. Despite this, Kanna embraces her mother with all the love and kindness she has. This is, however, cut short as the persuers... the nations army... fatally wounds Kanna's mother with two arrows. With the knowledge that Kanna's mother would die sometime soon, Kanna tries to impress her mother with the juggling act (ask me to say the Japanese name of this and I'll cry). With all her will and energy, she fails to reach her goal. In a way this represents the learning of flight by Kanna.

As the persuers closes in on their location, it has become known that they will not make it out alive without a sacrafice. With this knowledge Kanna takes it upon herself to save the two most closest friends to her... Ryuuya and Uraha. As predicted Kanna is shot down by arrows that pierce every inch of her body but she has accomplished her goal.

Ryuuya who is slowly dieing from the wound that he recieved whilst fighting the monks, realizes that he will never be able to save Kanna from the eternal sadness and loveless life that she has. This is why, Ryuuya and Uraha decides to have a child who will ultimately save Kanna. If not that child, then that child's child etc. as Ryuuya's spirit will continue on in all of them.

Yukito, who is on a journey to find the mysterious winged girl that flies that in the sky, meets Misuzu. He is a puppeter who initially does not believe in the supernatural and/or curses until he sees the events of both Kano and Minagi. It is only then, is when he decides to follow what his mother had told him long ago... 'You can choose to forget this and live a normal life. Or you can go find that winged girl and save her'.

Misuzu is a myterious girl who appears to be constantly sick. She has never had any friends or any close relatives as she is adopted by her Aunty since her mother passed away... from what we don't know. It can be said that Misuzu is the reincarnation (possible as most Japanese believe in Buddhism) of Kanna, just like the past 1000 years where a girl would share the her spirit. Why? In her dreams, she dreams that she is flying above the clouds freely. It is mentioned by Misuzu that the dreams are of her other self. A winged-being.

The reason she never had any friends is the result of the curse. The curse that no one will ever be close enough to the winged-being to ever love them properly. This is why when Yukito became close friends to Misuzu, she became sick. Even though she was happy on the outside, she could never be happy due to the curse. Eventually Yukito realizes that if he doesn't do something both of them will die.

However, it is not as simple as distancing himself from her but rather he had to transform himself. By transforming himself he could be with her as a companion without both of them being harmed by the curse. In a way, Yukito was a guardian of Misuzu just like Ryuuya was to Kanna. It could also be said that Yukito was a distant decendent of Ryuuya that was born in order to free the winged princess that flies in the skies from the dreadful curse.

As time progresses Misuzu's condition worsens due to fact that her physical body cannot contain the spirit of a winged-being. Due to the curse that prevents her from being happy also adds to mental and emotional pain that she suffers from. It gets to the point where she is bounded to the wheel chair since she cannot walk. Not only that but she forget's who Haruko is and calls her 'obaa-san' meaning an older woman who she does not know well. However, over time we see that Misuzu finally accepts Haruko not only as her substitute mother but her actual mother.

Whilst Misuzu can be said that she is the present day reincarnation of Kanna, the outcomes of both their lives are different. In the final, closing scenes... we see that Misuzu slowly getting out of her wheelchair, walking to Haruko and collapsing in the arms of her mother and saying 'Goal!'. Why?

In the beginning of the story, it is known that she wanted to make a friend and have fun during the summer vacation. Previously she hadn't been able to do that because of her condition or rather her curse. She has reached her goal as she has made a close friend, Yukito and has spent countless hours having fun with him. However, largely... it represents the accomplishment of doing what the curse had prevented her from doing... that is to love someone and have them directly love her back like a family. This is evident in one of the final scenes when Misuzu says 'I love you, okaa-san' (technically it isn't said but you can read her lips). Like Kanna, Misuzu tries to impress her mother by doing the impossible, walking. Simple as it may seem but to Misuzu, it was thought that she would never be able to walk again. With these three achievements done, she says 'Goal!' indicating that she has reached her life's goals and thus is why she passes away.

As with the final scene of Sora (which is the physical form of Yukito's spirit), a crow that is flying away, it can represent one of two things.

1. The ending of the curse as Misuzu accomplishes love even though the curse tries to prevent it.

2. The death of the winged being and thus the vicious cycle begins again. It can be predicted it could happen to the two kids who walk off into the sunset.

Which ever one you choose is dependant upon yourself. I for one, choose the 1st option as it is a more happier and a less sinister ending. Depending on which conclusion you chose, the meaning of what Haruko said 'It's only the start!' and the two children walking into the sunset, have a different meanings.

Hence (note that the numbers correspond to the two different ending):

Haruko: 'It's only the start!'
1. It's the start of Haruko's new life. In a sense it's the transformation of Haruko from being a negelecting mother into a more caring and a more understanding type of person.

2. This could also be interpreted as the start of Kanna's spirits everlasting internal battle to be able to love and be happy. Essentially be freed from the curse.

The two unknown children walking off into the sunset.
1. As Misuzu has freed Kanna from the curse they venture into the unknown path that no one has walked before. In a way when the boy says 'Let's walk over to that shoreline and see what lies ahead' represents the notion of journeying into the unknown as they are freed from the curse.

2. They acknowledge that Yukito and Misuzu will eventually end up where fate will take them (death) and they will begin their own journey that will ultimately end up in the same destination. This suggests that the curse is on a continous loop until Yukito finds that mysterious winged-being.

As for Sora's/Yukito's last line 'I will continue my search for the winged-girl that flies in the sky'... well like I said before, it depends on what ending you chose to interpret that.

--------------------------

Yay, finished! I hope that made a lot of sense though there could be errors in there. So don't be scared to tell me what you think of the synopsis/thesis.

EDIT: Fixed up some errors in the synopsis/thesis. Also added more information after viewing the ending for the second time.

Some people may say that your cup may be half-full, some may say that it is half-empty. But I say, are you gonna drink it or not?
PCPP Forum - Internode GN Forum - GameArena Forum - StaticSub Forum - OCAU Forum - Atomic v2.5 Forum - DS Australia Forum - Whirlpool Forum - MiniTokyo Forum - Madman Entertainment Forum - Clan TeamqQp - AsiaGroove - Bleach7

Signature Image

A little correction:

Quote: By transforming himself he could be with her as a companion without both of them being harmed by the curse.

I rather think the transformation was necessary to give Yukito the 'wings' to follow Misuzu whenever she reincarnated to the next life. The final scene of Sora flying away after Misuzu is an example.

Quote: As time progresses Misuzu's condition worsens due to the curse. It get's to the point where she is bounded to the wheel chair since she cannot walk. Not only that but she forget's who Haruko is and calls her 'obaa-san' meaning an older woman who she does not know well. However, over time we see that Misuzu finally accepts Haruko not only as her substitute mother but her actual mother.

As Uraha explained, a human body cannot contain a winged-being's soul (Kanna's/Misuzu's being one) and will break. Hence why all her human reincarnations always died so early in their lives. Remember that the winged-beings were already extinct and thus why Kanna's/Misuzu's soul had no choice but to keep getting reborn into human bodies (presumably the next best type of 'body').

The curse has nothing to do with her dying, but it does inflict eternal mental anguish on her soul.

Quote: In the final, closing scenes... we see that Misuzu slowly getting out of her wheelchair, walking to Haruko and collapsing in the arms of her mother and saying 'Goal!'. Why?

Because that represents her first step to beating the curse - being able to gain happiness and be close to a person (her godmother, in addition to Yukito himself). Her death is not the end of everything (nor the curse), but rather the beginning of her fight against the curse in her future reincarnations, together with Yukito's.

Hope that cleared things further. Cheers!

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

Err... the final quote that you got from me wasn't actually intended as a question. ^_^'

It actually was an impetus for me to get my brain working and was left over by accident. Though it could've been removed I thought that it might get the reader to actually think about it themselves...

Though I still don't quite truly believe that curse hasn't been ended, I will have to dwell on that myself (please don't take it personally). Anyway, thanks for clearing up the storyline of AIR for me. ;)

Signature Image

It was also my pleasure to refresh my memory on what I consider an anime with one of the best story depth, not to mention most touching.

I had to quote that last part as your interpretation of the ending is vastly different to mine ('on-going'/'continual' approach as opposed to your 'conclusive' approach).

Cheers!

auraderecca

auraderecca

-//*Ms.J

Anyway, i just want to clear up some questions i have. Why did some girls in misuzu's town also have a linking to the feathers?

Were they also winged beings that carried some memories of the past or wat? There was also this red haired girl who disappeared and became a feather? I can't remember her name. But she was the 'unborn sister' of the purple haired girl? Does this mean tt the red haired girl was only a spirit? But if that was so, how come everyone knew her and could see her? It makes me a little confused cos in the anime, there were a few girls from misuzu's school that were involved with the feathers. What did the signify or mean?

Quote by auradereccaAnyway, i just want to clear up some questions i have. Why did some girls in misuzu's town also have a linking to the feathers?

Presumably they (their souls, strictly speaking) came into contact with part of Kanna's/Misuzu's soul in the sky and were granted a feather - a fragment of her magic power. This thus allowed them to do some of the extraordinary things they did in the show, e.g. Michiru existing in dream form.

Quote by auradereccaThere was also this red haired girl who disappeared and became a feather? I can't remember her name. But she was the 'unborn sister' of the purple haired girl? Does this mean tt the red haired girl was only a spirit? But if that was so, how come everyone knew her and could see her?

You were not reading! This was discussed earlier!

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

auraderecca-chan, is it a coincidence that you watch the same animes that I watch or is it a little bit more deeper than that? ^_^' Lol... I'm kiddin'... XD

Quote by auradereccaWhy did some girls in misuzu's town also have a linking to the feathers?

Pretty much what Enchanter said with one extra bit of information. The feathers were the catalyst that changed the girls. It changed them from being lonely and sad into a girls that felt loved and cared for.

Quote by auradereccaWere they also winged beings that carried some memories of the past or wat?

No, they weren't winged-beings that brought memories of the past. They were just the ones that came in contact with the feathers that were from Kanna.

Quote by auradereccaThere was also this red haired girl who disappeared and became a feather? I can't remember her name. But she was the 'unborn sister' of the purple haired girl? Does this mean tt the red haired girl was only a spirit? But if that was so, how come everyone knew her and could see her?

The deceased 2nd child's name was Michiru and the first child's name, who was the sister of Michiru, was Minagi.

Yes, Michiru was essentially a spirit. However, there's actually a lot more depth to that. Ever since the death of Minagi's little sister from birth, Minagi's mother had always believed that she had a 2nd daughter. This was presumably caused by depression and what's known as 'in-denial'. As you would've imagined, Minagi being a caring daughter helped fill this void in her mother's heart and pretended to be her deceased little sister. This could be classified as the initial stage of the so called 'dream' that Minagi and her mother was living in. And since Minagi was pretending to be Michiru, her mother forgets about the presence of her 1st daughter.

It is not until Minagi's mother begins to realize that her 2nd daughter is dead, is when she begins to forget completely about both her 1st and 2nd daughters. Because Michiru was part of the dream, she coudl not exist in the real world. Thus this is why when Minagi's mother is awakened from her 'dream', is when Michiru... her spirit, disappears.

As for everyone being able to see Michiru... I'm pressuming it's one of the magical/mysterious abilities of the feather. ^_^'

Quote by auradereccaIt makes me a little confused cos in the anime, there were a few girls from misuzu's school that were involved with the feathers. What did the signify or mean?

Only three girls I believe were involved with the feathers ie. Kano,Misuzu, Minagi and her little sister Michiru. Well I'm not 100% sure what the feathers mean... but I guess it has something to do with the final message of the story.

Feathers represent the notion of being able to fly. For us humans, we see the sky as a boundless place and a place of freedom. Not only that but it's also associated as being greater than anything else, since it's is high up. Essentially the point of the story is that:

It doesn't matter if you are happy or sad, whether it matters or not if you achieve your dreams and goals since all the paths will once combine together... to what's known as the Apocalypse. So what you want to be, freedom, is entirely up to you and you choose you own path... one that makes you happy.

I hope that helped. :)

Signature Image

auraderecca

auraderecca

-//*Ms.J

Haha.. i guess that i have been exposed to many anime's! hahaah... *winks* Anyway, thanks you guys for the explainations you all have given. It helped me a great load.

However, don't u think that the storyline in AIR was kinda hard to understand. Personally I prefer the Summer Arc Version or AIR. Found tt more easier to unserstand. (I am refering to the story which featured Ryuuya, Kanna and Uryuu).

Zangetsu-ssl

Zangetsu-ssl

Soul Slayer

The story of AIR could be broken up into 3 parts.

Dream: Episodes 1 - 7
Summer: Episodes 7 - 9
Air: Episodes 10 - 12

I think first 9 episodes were pretty easy to understand including the parts about Kano and her mother and also the parts about Michiru, Minagi and her mother. The storyline only started to become really complex after the Summer arc had finished. However, it a way the Summer arc really helped me to understand the entire story of AIR. 'Coz it helped explain what the 'curse' was and it's effects.

I think the Summer specials that were not included in the Summer arc should've been aired during the Summer arc. This is because the Summer specials give a slightly deeper insight into the relationships between Kanna, Rruuya and Uraha.

Signature Image

good story very entreteinment

Unique in its own way

To understand the full story you need to watch the movie and the summer special, that how i understood it well XD

Spystreak

Retired Moderator

Spystreak

The Grim Reaper

No bumping 3 year old threads please.

Fools You Can't Escape from The Grim Reaper. Your Only Chance for Escape Is Death. Bye Bye Now
Signature
Your Ignorance Will Be Your Own Downfall.

page 1 of 1 15 total items

Back to In-depth Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.