Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Racial Discrimination v. Racial Preference - Minitokyo

Racial Discrimination v. Racial Preference

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

On hiatus for january :( sorry!!

I was wondering, is racial preference considered racial discrimination? Like if say you prefer your bf/gf to be asian rather than european, is that racism? I was wondering...is racism unstoppable? will it ever end? cud it end? i kno wut i think but ijust wanna hear sum new ideas.

Dead in our memories, silent in our hearts...

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

I don't know about me giving some new ideas, but heck, I know what you mean.. To be honest, nothing offending or malicious actions can really be stopped. There will always be that group of people that just don't like a race, rule or w/e period. After all you can't force a person to do something, but the least they could do is understand that all humans, blacks, whites, asians, etc., are people. They work the same way, think the same way. I guess some people just can't accept that. I don't really remember but I've heard that human beings have that urge to just be better than everyone else. Greed. Heck next thing you know, all those animal lovers are going to start this thing on how animals and all that crack are living beings as well T_T ... Not that I disagree with it though. You could consider me an animal lover XD

And as for the bf/gf preferance thing. I could relate to that XD But all I really ask for is that they have decent grades, looks, and control their hormones (being perverted, etc.) XD But anyways, I don't think the bf/gf thing is that racist. People from different races look different that other races, do they not? So that's just a personal thing I guess. But it can be really offending if someone didn't want you to be their bf/gf just because your a specific race.

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

yea it gets me sooo angry tho sumtimes. i just rly wish that ppl wud accept each other. i guess growing up in a typically racist environment, i wud hav strong feelings agenst racism. hey, i m totally agents racism. and yea...ur rite abt the bf/gf thing. so i guess thats not considered racism i hope?

As I see it, everyone is discriminating in some way and usually it is not even that big of a problem, people don't mind it, unless you really act to it e.g. neo-nazi. I, myself, have bad experience with people originated from Morocco and born in The Netherlands. I usually dislike those people but I'm sure there are some of them who are very nice.
It's just that I have a preconceived opinion, because of that incident and therefore I wouldn't easily be friends with them.
As for the preferences for your bf/gf, I think it's normal that people favor one above the other. I mean if you are not attracted to the other then it doesn't matter which race you are. I am an Asian myself and I'd prefer an Asian gf because a lot of things are the same (cultural, background etc..), but if I fall in love with someone of a different race and she is willing to accept all that then for me it is also okay.

Racial preference for bf/gf isn't racism, I think. It's convenience.
I grew up in a predominantly white community, and suffered from bullying every day, and I ended up going to a school with a lot of other Asians, and even though I'm still the one that's whitewashed, I find them much easier to relate to, do to culture and background, even though most of my friends are still white.

People are attracted to things they are familiar with. I believe that's why we hate change, or don't really respond to it well. At least I don't.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

as for bf/gf, i kno a lot of girls in my class who r like "ohhh ur going out with blah blah?! ewww...he's black!" or "i m not going out with so and so cuz hes white" u kno wut i mean? seeing and hearing that, i sorta got the impression that maybe...maybe that is racism? maybe it might just be racial discrimination if they say that they wudnt go out with a certain color. idk, wut r ur opinions on that?

Well, when it's like that, I think it's racial discrimination, if they're not going out with someone just because of their color.

Although I do prefer having an Asian bf, I don't really care if he turns out to be white or black or red or green or blue yipee!

After all, we're all human.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

For me, racial descrimination is different than racial preference. Its racial descimination if I look down at another race as inferior. Whereas if I was to be attracted to boys of my own culture rather than boys of another, that's racial preference - and I don't think that's wrong. Its not me thinking I'm superior because of culture, its just who I'm naturally attracted to.

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

yes ur rite...i agree from the way u say it.

merged: 12-31-2006 ~ 02:42pm
now that i think of it, the two (racial preference and racial discrimination) sorta intercede one another. If you think abt it, well, racial preference, ur thinking that u like another race above the other just cuz...and then in that way it sorta is making em superior to other races. i m confusing i kno, but do u see wut i m saying here?

TreeFarieAaliyah

TreeFarieAaliyah

Midnight Princess

I don't think that they're the same. I mean, I think it happens naturally. I don't know...I mean, for me, I've always said I'd rathar have a bf that's Puerto Rican, but if I met someone of another race that I like, I wouldn't leave them just because of their race...although it is sort of weird for me...I don't know...heh heh...sorry if that wasn't much help... -.-

and are you trying to say that...umm...they're the same in a way?

"Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say."

i tend to judge things i admit (i'm observant and make conclusion alot) but i don't really care about the race. sure i might like asians and europeans more but that's just becuz i've been hanging around with them most of my life since it's my culture and everything but if i saw someone like...i don't know maybe someone from DR i wouldn't care as long as he's sweet and kind to me.

but i do know ur feeling becuz my younger cousin once told me she thought light colored people were more beautiful than dark skinned and my older cousin think people with dark skin r ugly or unacttractive but they both don't hate or disklike these people. i mean they talk to them and everything it's just they think they're ugly. sadly both of my cousin were asians -.-. it's interesting but also sad....and annoying...

"I must destroy the despair-night
To shine in Eternity's sunshine."

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

No, I don't think so, because although, myself, I am European, I don't always, or most of the time, prefer European men. There's no way I can be racist against my own race, I suppose. I don't lean towards hispanic, but rather asian.

I'm not rascist, so I vote, no.

i agree b/c u cant be races about yr own race or can u? suppose i was races about my own race i cant change that so might as well stick with it (by the way im not races)

I dont consider that discrimination and preference will be the same, i know many people who likes persons of another race, and dont like someone of his/her race as a couple... its just something you like, is like you prefer green eyes insted blue ones, or tall girls/boys insted short one, or fat insted average or skinny... so its not racist to prefer another "kind" of human than yours (remember that genetically speaking, there is just one human race)

eXDream2K5

eXDream2K5

the crazy band geek

I don't think racial preference is the same as racial discrimination, but the two are very strongly related in many cases. Personally, I don't care what race/ethnicy my friends are, but I do care when it comes to dating, but that's not being racist.

Labels are for cans. I'm not a f*cking can.

I agree with crsg here. It's discrimination if you think some races are inferior to others. Otherwise, it's just preference, really. It's a personal thing. Think about it this way, if you like round face more than square, is that facial discrimination? Not really, I think that's just what you personally find attractive...

BTW, phoenixalcott, work on your spelling, you really sound juvenile.

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

To masteramy, well my frnd mithi from school, shes like "i h8 bengalis" and shes bengali herself. she is definitely racist agenst her own ethinicity and she sed it herself. she was telling me that she wud never like a boy thats bengali cuz i sed that her and another bengali boy made a cute couple. she sed "ewww i h8 bengali boys." basically, shes racist agenst her own ppl. but generally, wudnt it be racist tho if u stil say that another race is more uglier or prettier than another and decide not to go out with sum1 whos a certain race?

merged: 01-02-2007 ~ 02:23pm
and btw Babylemon, do u honestly think that i m typing like this cuz i rly talk like that or w/e stupidity? god, its called shorthand. saying i sound juvenile...

I'm european, but I prefer asians... is that racism?

TreeFarieAaliyah

TreeFarieAaliyah

Midnight Princess

to sgof: no, u just prefer diff ppl

to phoenixalcott: i dont think thats being racist against ur own ppl. its just that she doesnt like those boys. i say this b/c nicole's from DR and she thinks dominican boys are rlly possesive. sum ppl just dont like the boys frm their race. it doesnt mean thyre racist against their own race. against, its just preference. she prefers boys that rnt frm her culture. its not racism.

"Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don't say."

i don't think she's racist.....she might dislike they're traits or something from them but that's just being stereotypical, not racist. being racist is discriminating another kind and hating them without a reason but just becuz they're a different color from their own. preference and racism r confusing when u think of it becuz as soon as u hear "color" and "dislike" u come to the conclusion of racism.... although in this case we r saying that we prefer people of a different ethnicity than like everyone equally but the thing is, is that we don't dislike them....we talk to them...we're friends with them and everything.....i'm not making sense....-.-

anywho i don't think racism will ever end. i think it's inevitable becuz there is always people who will dislike people different from themselves. and we can't change a thought of a human, it's not like we can go up to them and say "hey bum u should like everybody!" cuz well they might see things differently from how they grew up...it's not my decision to choose someone life and tell them how to live it. it's their life and their thoughts. either way i just think it's how we r....i've realized that people who fear things will kill it before they know it. for example, if i see a cockaroach, i get scared so i kill it, not even knowing it that thing was trying to get out of my house or not. i just presume that it's ugly and it wants my food. heh heh...i used a wrong example...

"I must destroy the despair-night
To shine in Eternity's sunshine."

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Actually i would count that as more of a personal preference. It like me saying I don't like to drink French wines but I do like American wines. Its not that I do not like the French, its that I prefer the American.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

I don't think so.

That said sometimes I have these subliminal self-attacks that go along the lines of chastising myself for being racist as I only tend to find caucasian women attractive. That however is absolute rubbish as I've met many non-caucasians that I find attractive. The reason I tend to prefer caucasian women though is the diffrences in their facial features,specifically the nose and ears.

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

Treefairy, I disagree there. she doesn't like those boys just cuz they r bengali. i asked her y, she sed she jut doesnt like bengali boys. she doesnt like em ne way. so i think its racist. but yea...to my dismay, racism seems to be inevitable. btw ur saying it marmalaide, it sounds like ur on both sides. cuz u sed that racism will never end cuz ppl wont stop hating ppl other than themselves. there u hav it, di is racist cuz she doesnt like bengali ppl other than herself. she has no reason to but she doesnt like em.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

lololol thats silly

-repeat-

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

Back to Love, Friends & Family | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.