Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Goth Wannabes - Minitokyo

Goth Wannabes

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

On hiatus for january :( sorry!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I know it gets me sooooooooo irked when people say that they are goths. I mean, seriously, they need a knock on their heads because for one thing, if you like black and listen to metal, your not necessarily a goth. That's simply punk. I don't know, maybe it's just me. What are your thoughts on these "goth wannabes" that unfortunately our world is filled of? I hope I am not being too harsh on anyone here... :sweat:

Dead in our memories, silent in our hearts...

Northy

Northy

Guys are human as well.

When you say "wannabes", what do you think these people lack from being a "real" goth? Just curious.

SHK

The Bunker King

Black metal has nothing to do with punk. That's a whole different subculture.

I do get what your saying though. Listening to Dimmu Borgir does not make you "goth" necessarily. Goth has turned into more of a fad than a subculture at this point though, so technincally anyone who decides to be goth is goth. It doesn't really mean anything anymore. It used to during undrground goth music era, but that's long gone. How many people do you know who listen to Bauhaus or Suixe and the Banshee's anymore? That's real goth music.

LinkKiller

LinkKiller

Hiddoyatsu

Once the punk and emo styles came into play the lines of the goth became very blurred. The fact that the "goth lifestyle" was never really a lifelong thing there is plenty of opportunities for goth wannabes to lounge around. Personally I like the gothic style, I wear black, carry around knives all the time, occasionally use black & white makeup, but it can't really consume ones life entirely.
So I'll agree that there is a nuessance of people that just pretend and act like a completely different social group most the time, but nobody has any say in who actually IS a goth.

Signature
Admin of the Legend-of-Zelda Group

wtf? how metal, punk and goth even related? It's different subcultures, styles, music etc. I think you shouldn't talk and judge if you don't know anything about. Sorry for my rudeness, I just don't like then people speak about things they don't know. It's goes for everything, including anime =)
As for wannabes, they are totally irking me. Though the edge between wannabe and "real goth" (that is this, anyway? =)) is blurry, really. But I think that stupit kids and fashion do harm for every subculture.

Hey

goth rlly isnt a bad thing (i am not a goth ) dont goths usally wear dark clothes, cant stand being in the sun,and sit down all day doing nothing b/c thats what see on T.V.

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

queerishblue, i may be a little girl but it doesnt say that i donnt kno nething abt goth and punk. i hav goth frnds, my sisters go to an all goth school, i hav been exposed to goths and punks a lot. and thats not true. yes i agree that they r definitely different subcultures but seriously, i agree with LinkKiller. society had made these cultures just a fad, sumthiing u wear. this way, people confused the two. No, not confuse....well whatever, I am not some stupid little girl who doesn't know what she's talking about. its everything...i kno this girl who just calls herself a goth just cuz she luvs blackand likes punk rock. thats wut she sed. i got pissed and i asked her wut makes her think that shes a goth and she sed that she luvs black and listens to punk rock. oh w ow, big deal. so do i and all of my frnds. seriously, THATS a goth wannabe. calling herself a goth without knowing wt a goth rly is. fine, call m e stupid, maybee i am. it just pisses me off.

merged: 01-10-2007 ~ 10:56am
btw, that girl happened to be an old frnd of mine.

foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten

Sentimental Daydreamer...

what's with all the music arguments? It just ticks me off when people act all 'dark' and like they dont care about everything, go on about black is cool and pink sucks, pretends to be all mysterious and whatever when they're not.. NOW thats a goth wannabe.

Let's just make things simple: ... we all hate wannabes, or most of us do. Whatever they're posing as, they're the same basic annoying thing we all loathe. Everyone happy?

When i was a kid, I thought a goth was someone who wore black and was always depressed and hated life. As I grew up though, I found out more about the goth lifestyles and even went to a goth club weekly at my old home. One of my friends there was what some would consider a classical goth. I would be refering to the goths way back from the romanticism era back in the Victorian days like Edgar Allen Poe and Mary Shelly. They tend to dress much like a gentleman, not always in black, and tend to beleve or are into things supernatural. I also met some who are into the darker things and some who are drama queens(which is starting to become the majority)

I do agree that it has become blurred and like with punk now days, everyone is tring to title themselves as this type of culture. Even a friend of mine has gone to make a shirt saying, "just because you wear black and fat doesn't make you goth you.." well I'll just leave the rest for you. To those who want to go off and say they are goth or a punker or whatever slective culture, you better do at least some homework and try to go back to some roots. Understand what it was and why it was out. After all that, if you say you can feel with the music and writings then, then you can go off and truely say you are what you claim. If the stuff sounds "stupid" to you, then, as I told my neice who thought she was a punker, "stop being a poser"

gel-chan

gel-chan

Pastaaaa <3

In my humble opinion, goths are people who lack the attention needed by a person which resorts them to succumbing to the "darkness"... They like everything that symbolizes the "darkness" including black and ghostly music. As LinkKiller said, maybe it is a fad. That is my opinion, you may argue with my words if you like but I cannot promise a well explained answer.

As for the subculture and music debate, I think goth and punk are somewhat similar. Well, they like black, don't they? But goths are more of the "silent type"... Whatever its called... As for the music, yes, they are quite different. Punk Rock talks about some things that they think are crap or hate songs about family, politics, love; or they say "kickass" lyrics. I cant really explain it properly. To make it simple, when you say punk, think Simple Plan (the band duh). Goth music is more mysterious and its more like a chant rather than a song, but theres a difference between Goth music and Anti-Christ music.

For me Goths are not wannabes cause they chose to be that way... Thats their decision. Wannabes are people who pretend something they're not. For me, thats just my opinion.

Signature
"My last sig quote was rather plain so I changed it to something cool like this."
Wings-Lovers Administrator, Doujinshi-Support-Club Contestant & The-Ultimate-Coordinator Moderator

LinkKiller

LinkKiller

Hiddoyatsu

Okay, well. Since I apparently don't know about what beign a goth is, how's about a history lesson for everyone?
As far as appearance goes, the gohtic style was never meant to be a cultural thing. The original gothics were dressed as completely ordinary people during the day, and during the night they would dress in all black and paint their faces white as to make it appear that it was "the living dead" and not themselves that were commiting horible acts against the government. It was merely a way to conseal ones Identity.

Unlike many social-societies today, the goth has quite a large range of what could be considered part of the gothic lifestyle. And I'm sure these (you) people that are making judgments on goth wannabes don't have everything about your life goth. You go online and talk to people! That alone is a small sidetrack to the gothic ways. I do consider myself to be a goth, but not my entire life is like that, it just seems to be the kind of way I like to live my life.

So anyway, I'm sure that there are those of you that will disagree with me on this issue. If you feel like attackign me and calling me an idiot or whatnot, feel free to send me a pm so that those out there that aren't looking for conflict can read this without beign abused and infuriated.

Signature

Quote by foreverforgottenwhat's with all the music arguments? It just ticks me off when people act all 'dark' and like they dont care about everything, go on about black is cool and pink sucks, pretends to be all mysterious and whatever when they're not.. NOW thats a goth wannabe.

Let's just make things simple: ... we all hate wannabes, or most of us do. Whatever they're posing as, they're the same basic annoying thing we all loathe. Everyone happy?

Can't help but to say that foreverforgotten WINS. I totally agree with every word she said!

i really can't say what goth is because there is a clear definition except that we all know they're dark. i'm not sure who this poser is (is it catherine or someone in our school salma?) and i don't know how to respond to this...heh heh i may like black and rock music but i don't consider myself goth. i'm a hyper kid and i'm open to those i trust. yes i don't like shineyness but that's becuz it blinds me. i don't talk much to people i'm unfamiliar with but am friendly if u said "hi" to me.
errr.....so would this consider me a poser?

umm either way (confused now) i agree with LinkKiller that the word "goth" has a blurred definition...and yes i hate whatever kind of wannabes there is becuz i rather have them be themself

"I must destroy the despair-night
To shine in Eternity's sunshine."

phoenixalcott

phoenixalcott

i completely agree with LinkKiller. and well i agree wtih ForeverForgotten to a point. when she says that black rocks and pink sucks...well, i dont consider that a wannabe at all. i mean, my frnds (marisa! u!) and I definitely hav a thing agenst pink. in her case, its very bright. in mine, its too girly for me. imean, i cud wear it without much objection, but i dont prefer it. honestly, my fav color is black and i luv it. that doesnt make mea goth wannabe. ohhh misa! ur not a poser! gosh! ur just sweet and different! haha, and that girl is my old frnd from elementary who moved to pennsylvania and i met up with her agen...wow...of course, catherine wud definitely fit the example. ohh i hope i m not a goth wannabe cuz i luv black. its rly more like a muslim thing, what with the abayah and the burqa traditionally being black and all...and its not my fault i dislike pink...is it?!

asinine

asinine

++_Sleeveless Vampire_ ++

Lol
That means that i a goth wannabe am i?
XD
Lol oh yea i am XD ....
Well i just love dark clothes, dark side... the dark life... and gothic outfit... its just my nature... i mean i just love being this mysterious person lurking by you everyday and just smiling sinisterly at you...

So is that your term as gothic?

Quote by phoenisalcott
queerishblue, i may be a little girl but it doesnt say that i donnt kno nething abt goth and punk. i hav goth frnds, my sisters go to an all goth school

Just curious..
Tell me more about this all goth school.. >.>

At the end of the day, i would always turn around and say.... "Egao Saku... "
Signature
Co-Administrator of MTSingapore
<3 Me Luv U Sooo Muchi Hino-Chan!

LinkKiller

LinkKiller

Hiddoyatsu

Quote by asinine
Just curious..
Tell me more about this all goth school.. >.>

Ditto, I've never heard of a "goth school" before.
Either it's made up, an exageration of how many goth people go there, or I'm just a stupid American

Signature

hrm...how can there be an all goth school....thinking about it.....it means, that the community is biased and that they don't want goths to be in the same place?....hrmmm...i wonder, ya...tell us abt the goth school....i am interested....X-P....hahaha, Asinine-san...each person is who he is, no one should interfere in anyone, so if u r a "goth wannabe'...it's really none of anyone's business....it's your business....X-P...

anyways, well dependin on what wannabes, i dislike it when people start copyin me, cause i do have quite a lot of people that do that, and i dislike it, they go and try to dress up like me....ergh....it annoys me, but then, i am me, no one can be me, so i don't really care....

merged: 01-24-2007 ~ 08:11pm
hrm...how can there be an all goth school....thinking about it.....it means, that the community is biased and that they don't want goths to be in the same place?....hrmmm...i wonder, ya...tell us abt the goth school....i am interested....X-P....hahaha, Asinine-san...each person is who he is, no one should interfere in anyone, so if u r a "goth wannabe'...it's really none of anyone's business....it's your business....X-P...

anyways, well dependin on what wannabes, i dislike it when people start copyin me, cause i do have quite a lot of people that do that, and i dislike it, they go and try to dress up like me....ergh....it annoys me, but then, i am me, no one can be me, so i don't really care....

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

lolol

-repeat-

well tell me this what is a goth to u?

joemighty16

joemighty16

Hope is an optimist

As far as I'm concerened, goths dress in black, wear pale make up, talk about death and depression, all for the sake of attention. "Only happy when you're unhappy"

Anyway, the whole goth cult came from the vampire movies - set in hungary / romania (home of the original Goth barbarians).

My question to all goths is: "Wenn du bist Gotisch, wer warst du wann wir Rom ausplundern haben?" (pardon the grammer [or lack of] - I had to work it out word by word).

Life is a game played by gods who are bored and who fight over the rules.

Signature

I don't know, who determined what 'goth' actually was? In my opinion anyone can call themselves goth if they think they're goth. It can be a fashion statement or it can be a way of life, but as goth is only a label that we made up in the first place, I say I certainly haven't got the right to judge who's goth and who isn't.

Well, i love goth girls hahaha, unfortunatelly, i just have contact with those on spain (im on my country now, here goth people is extremely rare and ucommon, there are more punks over ) now, i will just give you an advice, just dont get mad cause some one says that is something that in your way of thinking is not... just let them be ;) eventually they will hit the wall.

Ok, let me clarify what a goth is, because, most likely, its not what you think. A goth is a person who likes to dress and act differently to the norm people in society, normally in black but some like much brighter colours. They tend to be thinkers and more often than not, quite creative. They have a satyrical sense of humour, and are able to laugh at both themselves and other people. This type of goth originated in the late 80's with the "death" of punk; goths back then liked the style and the "protection" it offered and so emulated it in their own style. They listen to and appreciate all sorts of good music. They can be gay/depressed/weird/mentally disturbed, but more often than not they are just normal people.

Goths may also refer to an East Germanic tribe who left Scandinavia

Auch nicht viele Goth Mochtegerns durchstreifen herum in diesen Teilen

You, sir, have successfully managed to rape the entire English language with one sentence. Congratulations.

jasaiyajin

jasaiyajin

-repeat-

http://www.goth.com/

higher level of punk xDDD

merged: 02-13-2007 ~ 08:25pm
even better
http://www.goth.net/

-repeat-

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 28 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.