Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 My first wall - Maya Ibuki from Neon Genesis Evangelion - Minitokyo

My first wall - Maya Ibuki from Neon Genesis Evangelion

page 1 of 1 3 total items

LordEndervonHellsing

LordEndervonHellsing

Spirit of Sparta

So, I've made this wallpaper some time ago and submitted it into gallery, but it got deleted because of the low background quality (to tell the truth, it was composed only from gradients) so I worked on it some time and added some decent (or so I think) background. Since I don't know if it's good enough, I'm submitting it here and any help and tips on what other should I change/add will be appreciated.
I've made this wall in Adobe Photoshop, generally using few scans with Maya Ibuki that I found on the net and as the background I inserted a group artwork that found in the net too. I added some effects and filters, mounted it all together and here it is.
Can you help?
The wallpaper is here:
http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mayatapetav092realeaselp8.jpg

Signature Image
I am the conformer, the bright sunlight that wipes all sorrow.

etoo

etoo

sanity runs away from me

well, first, the foreground pictures are of low quality and badly extracted. there are places where one can see pixels from the original bg... i see some white ones on the hair and legs and reddish on her jeans. there are also stray ones on the bottle and bag of chips. the one with her in the uniform has the same pixel problem. i'm not gonna say all the places i see pixels that shouldn't be there.
dunno if you intended it, but the bg picture is more than unclear/blurred. the ideea of using a gray scale picture for the bg is nice, but it shouldn't be that unclear.
i'd also suggest the changing of the size of the text or at least the color of the text "the evangelion crew:" and the logo should be smaller.
also, it doesn't seem tied together, just some pics thrown there randomly.
you don't have to necessarily listen to me, i'm not the sharpest crayon in the box but i tried telling you what i don't like or would have done different. hopefully i expressed my ideeas in a clear manner and you understand what i was trying to say (i am one known for being a bad explainer ^_^').

kuroimisa

Retired Moderator

kuroimisa

Wizard of Darkness -under a rock

Well, just thoughts listed :P

- yep, like etoo said, the images look blurry (enlarged in fact) and the extraction (edges namely) are not very clean.
Are these images available in a larger size you can downsize instead of enlarge? And, are you prepared to vector over them if larger images are not available?
Well I guess if you learn the pentool, you can just trace over the outlines, otherwise yeah, the scan will be an issue.

- background
Apart from being filtered, it looks like a group scan with a touch up. Which is a pretty cool idea but has a flaw: you didn't design this background to go with your scan.
In other words, you're using another image to complement another, but it doesn't mean that you have made a background for that image. You happened to add one- does that make any sense? ^_^'
I say it's usually best not to make backgrounds with images (especially existing ones- and this includes stock photos) unless you really add effects to them and give this an idea, a setting, or a concept. At the moment the slightest hint of concept I'm getting is that she stands out from the crowd, but I'm sure there are better ways of doing so ^^;

- main scans (x2)
Why you need 2 is a little redundant- it's the same character so in essence you only need one and create a background specifically for that character.

For example with the one sitting down eating you can put her in a room, draw a window and a table beside her, some tatami and a tv in the corner. This is simply because of her pose.
It's always a good idea to look at the pose of the character, expression and mood of the character and create something towards that. As I mentioned earlier, the background at the moment was not really made for either of the main scans you're using- so you might want to develop a solid concept and design a background in order to get the idea across.

- from main scans now we go to composition
Composition basically means where and how things are placed.
The image sitting down using the laptop you have consciously put down the bottom because it looks like a heavy image and looks strange floating in mid air, yes-? How about the text?
The text by far looks heavy and I think should belong in the bottom half of the wallpaper (left or right, take your pick, but I don't think centre, unless you're going for a very dramatic effect).
I think the logo is unnecessary because it has been placed in a way it looks like it's just "filling up space". If you remove the logo as the wallpaper is now, you'll probably see that it'll look a little bit better.

There are a few more things about typography, but I won't go into that now, because I think this is enough for the moment for you to rework a more solid concept and to dig out some better quality scans ;)

I hope that was of some help :3

Signature
Misa|Virtuoso and Legend of W.A.R - UA|Most coordinated Legion of W.A.R
MINITOKYO-WIDE KNOCKOUT WALLING COMP: LAUNCHES MARCH 2010. ONE WINNER. ONE PRIZE.
ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS <3

page 1 of 1 3 total items

Back to The Sandbox | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.