Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Training with ankle/wrist weights - Minitokyo

Training with ankle/wrist weights

page 1 of 1 10 total items

saiyijinprince

saiyijinprince

Too tired to think....

Do anyone use this, I know it provides great resistance for running but what about sports like tennis. I don't know if it's good for sports where you put a lot of pressure on your feet from dashing right to left. Does it help in these cases or does more damage than good.

A real friend stabs you in the front

speedfreek19

speedfreek19

Belldandy Fanboy

I dont think ankle weights would be good for tennis given the amount of moving around you do, you'd be more likely to risk injury *shrugs*

Wrist weights on the other hand i wouldnt think there would be much of a problem with

Signature Image

saiyijinprince

saiyijinprince

Too tired to think....

Yeah, that was my concern as well, I think I'm going to start wearing wrist ones. Thanks

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

You want to be careful when you choose to localize weights on your body especially when its out on the end of one of your limbs (ankles and wrists) as just a small amount of weight can have a massive impact on your muscles and skeleton when you are moving fast or putting alot of stress on those joints. I would recommend ankle weights for like walking but not jogging or running unless they were very small weights. If you want to add mass and make your body work more I would suggest weight vests that distribute the weight across your body.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

acid-awakening

acid-awakening

Ore Hitori De Juubun Da

Ooh Ooh, I use I use!
Yeah dangers speed and mnemeth just about said it all.

Tennis could be a good workout though with the ankle/wrist weights... depends how much weight you use.

If you wanna put it on your ankles, the best choice of training is running.

BobaFett2ha

BobaFett2ha

Mandalore

Interestingly enough, some people use weights for marching band. They put them on wrists, ankles, and even instruments =P.

"The ugly and thin cattle ate up the seven sleek and fat cattle." - Genesis 41:4

Mnemeth is right...wear weighted vest it is a lot better than ankle weights. I'm not sure about wrist weights but ankle weights altho put on resistance..slowly stretch ur ankle making your joint more vulnerable to spraining your ankle. Don't copy those guys from Prince of Tennis...lol X-P

saiyijinprince

saiyijinprince

Too tired to think....

I never thought about the vest. I guess I can try that. Originally I bought the weights for playing tennis and handball to increase me speed but I guess it's not the right way to go about it. Thanks for the info

I have seen them in naruto and dragon ball, not sure if they're used in RL, would be cool though o,o

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Quote by BobaFett2haInterestingly enough, some people use weights for marching band. They put them on wrists, ankles, and even instruments =P.

Yeah and it makes a huge difference oncce you get use to them and take them off for shows. Those larger 10 to 40lb brass instruments are easy to hold at attention for long periods of time after that.

I am not saying don't use wrist or ankle weights just be care how you use them. Think of your skeleton as a simple machine consisting of levers. The more weight you put out on the end of a lever the more force you have to use to move the lever because your pivot point does not change (your arm or leg ar kinda fixed lengths). In addition when you apply an external force (hitting a tennis ball wiht a racket or simply your foot hitting the ground) that force is magnified by the amount of weight that you added increasing the chance of injury. My recommendation is to start small and slowly move up if you use these types of weights.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to Hobbies & Sports | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.