Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Good deed...? - Minitokyo

Good deed...?

page 1 of 1 9 total items

I've seen a lot of this and probably rant on about it once in a while.

Is there a point in a good deed if that good deed is done just for your own gain? Stuff such as doing community service while in high school just for community service hours.

Would you consider it a good deed or just a chore?

Personally I like to help people out not for myself, but for others. For example I've donated $30 to a couple online for a game, knowing that I won't get anything and knowing that they don't even know me in person so they can't really do anything.. But like some people do it just for their own gain, stuff such as publicity and wanting rewards...

Well, my question is, what is your view on a good deed or helping others if you want to put it that way?

If you have done something that you may consider a "good deed" (that phrase is sounding weirder everytime I type it and read it) please state it.

PS. I have absolutely no idea if this is the right place to post it.

?(/??)?
?? ???
????????
????????

Mnemeth

Mnemeth

Rider of the Currents

Well its kinda like you gotta ask yourself the question "Would I still do this even if I did not get anything from it?" If you can truthfully answer yes then it does not matter if you receive anything for it or not.

As for myself, cutting my next door neighbors front yard when I cut mine (I benefit from a better looking area but I would probably still do it anyway) or holding a door open for someone (I benefit when its a good lookin babe and I get a smile or a thank you or once even a kiss but I would still do it anyway)
You might say I do some "good deeds" hoping to be rewarded but not really expecting it.

Do not interfere in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

eonir

eonir

Spreading Fire

Well, if you give money to a beggar, it COULD be a good deed.
But only under one condition.
Something good will result from that donation.

I wouldn't give money to a inhospitable, intoxicated, rotting alcoholic. It would be like giving money to the brewery. But I would think about it if that person had some chances of returning to a healthy state. I would also consider donating a voluntary, non-commercial (E.g GPL) project. Why?

Because it would be a help for some creative people with an idea to put into practice.
So, if we have to make a definition of a good deed: It's an action that will result in some positive(that is - good) activity.

Some folks are wise, and some otherwise.
Signature

Shinsengumi89

Shinsengumi89

The Watcher of Movies

Well lets see I'm a member on my Cities Tree and Beautification Commitie, it is a volunteer position, though a city of 10,000 and only about 6 people volunteer to actually do something.

I do it because it helps the environment, and we really don't get gratification for it, because well lets say most of the cities citizens don't even know we have already planted a few hundred trees, and that were getting ready to build an arboretum.

So i do it because i think its a good thing to do, i don't get gratification for it.

http://mt-environmentalists.minitokyo.net/ -Protect the Environment
http://mt-atheists.minitokyo.net/ - Philosophy is disscused here.
http://true-colors.minitokyo.net/ - Human Rights Group
http://mt-gay-straight-club.minitokyo.net/ - We help bridge the gaps between the different sexual orientations.

If you know you did a good deed, you will most likely feel better, naturally.

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

Quote by jasaiyajinall good deeds ARE SELFISH! duhh... why else does it make you feel good to be good... and then you go... oohhh woes me, I feel good because i did something good, but now i feel bad for feeling good.

First of all, it doesn't necessarily mean you're selfish just because you did a good deed and feel good about it. You can very well feel bad; it all depends on the way you see good deeds (this is getting weirder by each time I type this expression :o)

In the Bible it states that a good deed is no longer a good deed if you brag about it. I'm not much of a church person, but that's the least I know. So, I guess bragging is another form of gaining attention and pointing out your deed for everyone to see and appreciate. In my opinion, these things should be kept for oneself.

What you did was a good thing, and it's natural to like the feeling. After all, you helped someone and made them happy, without expecting something in return. I'm sure the people you donated the money to are thanking you, even though they don't know who you are. maybe that's another benefit of anonymous good deeds, you seem like a guardian angel for them for some time :)

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

fawna-chan

fawna-chan

butterfly ghost

Good deeds are selfish if you look it like that, that you want something out of it. But good deeds are still good deeds, even if you do get something out of it. I vollunteer to get experience, future job references, etc. But I'm still doing it. Good deeds don't necessarily have to be selfless. The other side that is recieving your good deed probably knows this and would happily help you in return. This is speaking from the "bigger" good deeds, ex: volunteer, donation...But it does make you feel good. ^^

Yeah, I think doing community service is more for yourself than for other people. But I also enjoy doing it since I love where I work, but my ultimate goal is still the hours.
I'm not the kind of person that will do good for people without them giving me something first. That something doesn't need to be something that benefits me but something such as passion, enthusiasm. I like it when people have the heart for me, then I will be more than glad to do anything for them.

samu02

Back to Basics

Just keep doin' good... Chore or not... It pays in the end...

"If faced with a life or death situation, an average person would choose life; a hero also chooses life, just not for himself"
"Knowledge is Power. But Power unused accomplishes nothing"
[CENTER][IMG]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/11.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

page 1 of 1 9 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.