Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Please Help Me! - Minitokyo

Please Help Me!

page 1 of 1 6 total items

I'm gonna buy a laptop soon. But I dunno what to buy. My college is using Dell Computer. And I see lots of the students bought different brands. As a student studying graphic design, I thought of wanting to buy Apple ibook. But when I ask my lecturer of what to buy, he said Mac will give some problems, i.e. can't use/install pirated cds, or moving the files to another computer might not work. He told me to reconsider it and suggest to buy Dell instead.

On another hand, my auntie recently told my mom that I should buy Apple since I'm taking graphic design. So it comes down to which brand should I buy. Please help, I'm desperate! >_<

Latest Wall[s]: Gravity ReDefined

EternalParadox

Retired Moderator

EternalParadox

.:Enigma Mod:.

Your problem isn't which brand computer you should buy but rather the classic Windows or Mac dilemma. By "your college is using Dell," it actually just means your institution and Dell has a contract where Dell supplies all the university-owned computers. For your personal one, you can buy whatever you want.

The thing about buying an iBook is that when your university runs under Windows, you will face compatibility issues. Unless you are careful with your file types, you will encounter problems migrating your work from a Mac to a Windows environment. Even creating a basic Powerpoint presentation can become a hassle. You copy your perfect presentation done on Mac and open it in Windows, only to find that half the images you put in the presentation are broken because of file type incompatibility.

But there's a fix for just about all of these issues, so if you really like iBook, go ahead and buy it. You'll learn as you go what to look out for.

By the way, your lecturer shouldn't be telling you to buy a Dell because it'll be able to install pirated software. That's illegal, and as an employee of the university, his statements carry a lot of liabilities.

EternalParadox
Previously the Forum, Vector Art, and Policy Moderator

Graphic design depends on which type of "graphic design" your doing. If it's for professional work, then go with a laptop that has a workstation graphics card like ATi FireGL or
Nvidia Quadro series.
If it's just standard graphic design, like creating anime wallpapers in Photoshop, then any type of
discrete graphic card will get the job done.

One thing you have to know is workstation graphics are not meant for games, they're for serious work!

The one I like is the Asus C90 series.

Signature

JetKrazy

JetKrazy

Planetarian

As EternalParadox said, the only problem would be compatibility issues between Windows and Mac. The pirated CDs thing shouldn't be a problem, since you shouldn't be using those in the first place, as they are very illegal.

In my opinion, I say buy a Windows compatible computer (Dell isn't actually bad), since chances are that a lot of school work will be on a Windows computer

Yeah, you should buy a Windows one....Dells aren't bad, I have one, it's pretty old though. But, the new ones are pretty nice and decently affordable :)

for graphic design all the industry standard programs run on both windows and mac, you can always transfer files back and forth within them, it's not a problem. dell is a good brand for laptops, i had 3 that i have replaced due to age, never went wrong. designers like mac better because that's one of apple's focus, if you are in design as a carrer getting a mac will let you get familiar with the whole thing, specially if your college is mainly windows.

page 1 of 1 6 total items

Back to Computers & Internet | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.