Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Proper posting question - Minitokyo

Proper posting question

page 1 of 1 5 total items

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

The day we caught the train...

Hi, I don't know if it's a proper place to post about this, but I have noticed that quite a few posters refuse to post using proper grammar and spelling. I may be old fashioned but for me reading a forum should not be like reading a bunch of text messages one after the other.

I reread the rules and I did not see anything related to the matter. Are there guidelines that people should respect or not? I fully understand that this is not school and that some people are still rather young in the forum, but writing manners are not something to be ignored.

My main question is though: is there anything being done about it, if not, will there ever be?

Edit: My question is more about people writing as if the posts were text messages more than anything else.

Signature Image
What do you call a girl with a rifle in a corn field? A cereal killer.
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

littlejonny100

Retired Moderator

littlejonny100

Rusty Slave

As an international forum is is expected that all members will have a tolerance for odd grammar and spelling as a large number of members do have English as a second language. However at the same time there are a lot of members who couldn't be bothered typing grammatically or just plain don't want to.

To my knowledge it has been talked about before but the reality is that there's really not much that can be done about it nor will there ever be. There is always a circumstantial case however I am yet to run across someone so glaringly obviously horrible that I've had to say anything.

In terms of grammar and spelling, try to ignore the mistakes you see however if you see someone who's just being disruptive and/or offensive with their typing, just contact your nearest friendly mod.

"Do upon others as they would do upon you......except do it sooner, more often and better! "

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

I've seen a couple of posts where it was obvious that the person was not making any efforts, all written in txt mssg mode, where numbers were used instead of letters. I find it very annoying because it doesn't take that much time to type a good message.

But I agree on the grammar part, this is an international board... still, you can easily tell when the person is making an effort to be understood and when a person is just plain old lazy to write using proper grammar.

Signature Image
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

Saikusa

Retired Moderator

Saikusa

~ scan-holic ~

Personally I think that text or l33t speak is annoying, frustrating & childish. Not to mention incredibly lazy. As far as I'm concerned the ability to communicate is an incredibly important thing as it conveys what is in your head to others. So someone who uses text speak instead of writing like a normal human being probably hasn't got much in their head that is worth communicating.

On an official level, we can not enforce the use of correct grammar. Some kids only know how to speak through the use of numbers instead of vowels. Other members know only a little English. If it is so extreme to the point that it is gibberish, or people attempt to veil threats with text-language then we will start to enforce rules on spam. Mute mute mute mute...

By the way, you might want to change your sig. You mis-spelt Rifle. Although Riffle sounds like a Raspberry Ripple to me...

cerealjoe

cerealjoe

I understand that it's not easy to mod these kinds of things. You've answered my question, thanks. I think I'll just do as you said, avoid the people who can't be bothered to put in a bit of time into their posts.

Quote by SaikusaBy the way, you might want to change your sig. You mis-spelt Rifle. Although Riffle sounds like a Raspberry Ripple to me...

Heee! I totally missed that one! At least now there will be one less mistake on MT! Thanks for the heads up!

Signature Image
In TARTIFLETTE we trust!

page 1 of 1 5 total items

Back to Minitokyo Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.