Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Japanese add-ons to names (sama, san, kun, chan) - Minitokyo

Japanese add-ons to names (sama, san, kun, chan)

This thread is closed for posting.

page 1 of 1 10 total items

I read manga, of course, and in one of them, they use -san, -chan, and -kun alot. Does anyone know when to use those at what time? I dont get how to use them, and I'd like to in my stories/mangas. If you can help me, it'd be very much appreciated, so thanks! ~~<33 Breezy

Takeru623

Takeru623

Haruhiist

I know this.
-san: equivalent to Mr. and Mrs. and a general sign of respect.
-kun: used as a term of familiarity when referring to boys, also used a term of respect.
-chan: used as a term of familiarity when referring to girls or as a playful nickname.
-sama: referring to someone of great respect or a maid/butler referring to their master.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

sama is also used to reference to a kami (god/s) or to a mountain especially to mt fuji-sama mostly because some people that hike on that mountain (inactive volcano) never come back alive and they pray every spring before anyone hikes so that people will return

BuBbLeS!

Signature

kagedarkmode

kagedarkmode

刃の下に心あり

There's also "-chin" which, "is like '-chan' but cutesier"

*edited

oh I forgot about "-dono"...it's pretty much like "-kun"

. /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 nyan~
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

kotrapharma

kotrapharma

a game freak

Hmmm.... :\

sensei is referring to doctor or teacher...

sorry for interrupting... :x

riku1212

riku1212

love hurts so much!

senpai is for older brother or sister in school not in family. :)

you never know you love someone until you'ev lost them.
join: shugo-chara TWEWYnabari-no-ou dark-palace katekyo-hitman-reborn

Shadrin

Shadrin

^^vv<><>BA

Heres a nice primer on Japanese honorifics.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Honorifics

In the manga i read there is almost always a section in either the back or front that explains the more common honorifics.

~what about nyan?~~ tnx <3

~sigh~

UsagixKitsune

UsagixKitsune

nsɐƃıxʞıʇsnuǝ

LOl this thread made me realise how old school Angel is.

mytrix-nyan, those dates under posters' avatars are the date they made their post. Just saying ^_^

page 1 of 1 10 total items

Back to General Anime & Manga Talk | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.