Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Otaku to become new Japan Prime Minister - Minitokyo

Otaku to become new Japan Prime Minister

page 1 of 1 12 total items

KamikazeKoga

KamikazeKoga

??????????

I'm not sure if anyone knows about this, but today, Japan's ruling party, the LDP, has chosen Taro Aso to replace Yasuo Fukuda as President of the LDP, which means barring any surprises, Taro Aso will become the Japan's new prime minister. What makes this interesting is that Taro Aso is an otaku. He is known for reading a lot of manga and is popular with other anime and manga otaku. He gained the nickname "Rozen Aso" after he was seen reading Rozen Maiden. One thing he is also known for is his controversal views. In 2001, he said that that Japanese ethnic minorities couldn't become prime ministers. He would later on say that his statement was misunderstood. Also in 2001, he said that he wanted to make Japan a country where "rich Jews" would like to live. In 2005, he said that Americans cannot be trusted in the Middle East because they have blue eyes and blond hair and that the Japanese can be trusted because they have "yellow faces." In 2005, he asked the emperor to visit the controversial Yasukuni shrine, which enshrines many war criminals from World War II.

What are your thoughts about Taro Aso becoming Prime Minister? Do you think he is going to cause problems with his ideals or do you think that he will be more careful of what he says? Do you think that the otaku community will benefit from his election?

justsomeone

justsomeone

Nameless

XD soo cool.I want a prime minister like that.He tries to make people not be so ignorant and simple minded.

sennoskinner12

sennoskinner12

Silent Otome

Wow. No problem. He knows very much about politics (thanks to Golgo 13...)

Hachiko

Hachiko

The Akita on MiniTokyo

Somewhere out there, Suiseiseki is saying, "Japan made the right decision desu."

Signature
To the brave otaku and MiniTokyo faithful, nothing is without moe.

ElvishImmortal

ElvishImmortal

Spellweaver

Meh, It's nice having an otaku take the reigns of Japan, but he doesnt seem too concerned with being politically correct. In the world of 100 years ago, that would be tolerated, but in today's world, he's gonna meet a lot of heat from a lot of people.

xxKurumi

xxKurumi

inexplicably green

He seems like a nice guy, but a really poor judge of character. However, I don't like his snark comments about how the Japanese can be trusted while the Americans can't. The Japanese politicians are as every bit as white-washed at American politicians. They are as industrialized as the western nations, and as pushy. Those comments seem borderline prejudice.

He does seem a bit eccentric lol. I agree with ElvishImmortal that he is going to be recieving a lot of heat for saying things like that. But i thought it was funny how he reffered to 'all americans' as blue eyed and blonde haired...what about the rest of the them? Im sure there are some japanese americans too.

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

one prime minister is like any other, until they can act on what they say instead of just saying it ^_^

BuBbLeS!

Signature

An otaku Prime Minister sounds nice, but those comments of his don't sound too appealing. All Americans have blue eyes and blond hair? What does that have to do with the Middle East? Like many Japanese government officials, he seems to have a way of putting his foot in his mouth.

From what you've said of him and his comments, I really don't like him to be prime minister of any country. I don't like political correctness or anything, but he does make gross generalizations about things. That being said, I'd like to know more about the context of those comments before I make solid conclusions; anything can sound disgusting when taken out of context.

The otaku part seems really irrelevant, though, I mean... today I went to some parent meeting in school for college applications, and the powerpoint mentioned anime. *shrug* Anime is getting more and more common, and pretty much everywhere from what I understand in Japan.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

Alfredigital

Alfredigital

I WAS BORN TO MURDER THE WORLD!

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/img/facepalm.jpeg

LZC

LZC

Mass of Contradictions

I wonder if he makes controversial statements (that are like stinkbombs in a packed train during rush hours, they're that nasty at times) to make people around sit up and take notice, and most importantly, start thinking? :nerd:

Just to touch a bit on the war criminals' memorial issue... it seems that for the most part, the human society is behaving as instinctively as they were centuries ago, civilised or no. Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great... they're mostly revered nowadays in our historical texts for their military genius, their deeds on the human society buffered by time into acts of near-mythical greatness. Yet for those who were directly affected by their invasive conquests back then, their names probably figured only in the vilest curses, the scourge of all they hold dear.

Well, they're mostly revered nowadays. Due to the buffering effects of time, the passing memories of humankind with each generation, and most probably because there weren't that many left alive from back then to complain loudly now. A difference in the historical stories between then and our last 2 World Wars were whether the antagonistic side won or lost. In all likelihood, had the Allied Forces failed in the last one, the resulting human society would have hailed Hitler as the founding father of the united human world or something along those lines ("All hail Lelouch!" :sweat:), war atrocities or no. A few centuries further would blur it into a historical fact. That's how laughable the instincts of humankind can steer their behaviour, for all the so-called knowledge and wisdom.

China has historically been a war-plagued country (just count the number of ruling dynasties for a start :o ), Europe an established stage for military conflicts, and perhaps, just perhaps, a mention of the native American Indians might be made in a hushed whisper. All across the globe, we've fought each other, except maybe for places like the Antartic, where fighting for survival is paramount compared to fighting each other (probably they've got conflicts there too, just less well-known to the rest of the world). The active memory just has enough space to remember the last few big ones with a passion, and even with those, time does its work.

To date, the Chinese population still remembers the deeds from the Japanese incursion during WWII like a raw wound :angry:, those from the fall of the Qing dynasty by the western forces as a smarting bruise :angry:, but ask about the shame when the previous Ming dynasty fell to the invading Manchu forces due in large to the act of a turncoat... there'll be blank looks from most, shrugs from some, while the historians will be relating events like a fictional tale :x. With countries having active border conflicts, though, mention of their erstwhile neighbours will usually set their blood boiling. :angry:

In military conflicts, there are almost always those whose character and honour will elevate them from falling to the levels of scum; those who take the opportunity to behave like scum; those who are scum by default; those who are plain miserable and confused by it all and going with the flow; those who go "oh well" and behave like scum since everyone else is doing so; those who behave like scum because of anger at losing comrades and friends; the general behaviour says a lot about the character of the most influential military leaders in any army.

I have nothing against praying at a war memorial shrine if the aim is simply to pray for the fallen to be at rest (I'm a Singaporean, check out wiki on the Japanese Occupation if you like :nerd:) ; there are bound to be individuals who deserve at least that, despite the scum within who do not. But it does seem a bit fishy, how often Japanese politicians keep going there and end up hitting news columns. Old ladies visiting for the same reason never seem to show up in the news. This trend among politicians hasn't been prominently observed yet among any other country (well, there ain't any reports yet), and oddly, there are rather persistant accusive RUMORS of japanese historical texts being slyly modified to glorify judged war criminals into martyrs and heroes. The fact that something like this is being brought up is an indicator that there probably is something going on. If true, pity the fallen whose descendents shame them by with dishonourable deeds. Of course, as yet, plain RUMORS.

Oops, I seem to have gone way off topic. Have another controversial cookie then:

Spoiler (show)

"Will the next USA President be establishing a war memorial to honour those fallen pioneers in the conflicts that nearly eradicated the native American Indians on the continent? :sweat: And pay regular visits to it with full fanfare?" x_x

Like, after all, if they hadn't been so bloody-handed as a whole, there wouldn't be the present-day USA, right? * :pacman:waits for hypothetical civil war to break out :pacman:* Thankfully, their descendents seem to have learned something in establishing Freedom, Justice, and Equality into their country's Code. Thankfully. -_-

Back to the sidedish (uh, topic), otaku aside, it seems the world can expect some rather odd decisions from Aso. Hopefully, as wild as his attitude seems, they'll be the right starters to push the human society out from it's present stagnancy towards a benign ("Where's the world rushing off to? Its destruction?" :\) progress and improvement, especially for issues on green energy, the economy, and environmental revivification.

Hope he's not secretly practicing the Haruhi dance! :D

page 1 of 1 12 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.