Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Smoker. Why there are so many of them? - Minitokyo

Smoker. Why there are so many of them?

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 39 total items

helldunkel

\\..:: Pariah ::..//

Well, I smoked some years ago while in high school, at that time it was all about being accepted and looking cool. Some ppl really get into smoking so it becomes a part of their lives. If they cannot smoke they really get crazy. My former girlfriend started smoking :( because of her current boyfriend, back in the time when she was with me she never lighted not even one cigarette. I guess that's the influence other ppl have over us.

Anyway, I try to stay clear from ppl that smoke and also warn those who get near me to get away, so I don't get to breathe all that nasty thing. Smoking is one of the worst things that one can possibly do and yet nobody seems to be able to fight against it because it's such a big business

well, I have to get used with smokes in university life. a lot of my friends smoke. It really bothers me, especially because none of my friends smoke when I was in high school (well, that's because my school's rules tho...)

I can breathe freely only in my classroom... outside of the classroom, people are smoking everywhere.

yeah, I think it's because the influences from other people... 'because there are a lot of people smoking, then it's uncool if I don't smoke' or something like that.

Because people think it's cool to die.

I'm not a smoker, but both my parents are heavy smokers since their teens. They have both confesed they started due to peer pressure and then it was too late to quit. And the pressure doesn't only come from other peers, it comes from advertising and such, In my country it's not banned, or not as restricted as tobacco advertising is on the states. There are some new laws forbidding smoking inside clubs, and raising the price, and that has signifficantly dropped consumer levels.

vitaamin

vitaamin

DUKE 2010 NCAA CHAMPS!

.. i agree that some people start smoking because of peer pressure but i mean some people just smoke because they LIKE to. i dont really expect anyone who doesnt smoke to understand this--nor someone who hasnt had my experience to understand it, but its the truth.

i'm no chain smoker, i really only smoke when i'm going out to a club or something but i feel really offended that people degrade my personal choices just because they have so many preconceived notions about what it means to smoke. in fact i really dislike drinking and i dont hang out at parties where people are drinking alot. i'd rather dance or smoke with a group of people.

but at the same i do agree that people shouldnt smoke around other people like in restaurants and shit--but if it really bothers you just tell them, because most people will move somewhere else. and no offense but if you are OUTSIDE you can just MOVE away from people who are smoking, its almost impossible to catch second hand smoke unless they are breathing into your face.

and btw. shisha is JUST as bad if not worse for one's health than cigarettes.

Signature Image
vector-wallers tag-licious

ttwen

ttwen

somebody

smoking and drinking goes into the same category. they think smoking/drinking makes you mature/cool/classy. personally, i think it's a waste of money and really not a cool choice if you don't want to suffer at old age when all the smoking makes up to your body.

Everyone knows the aversive affects of smoking; there's seriously no point reiterating that.
I'm a non-smoker, but I always wonder why people always tell smokers that their habit will kill them, whereas I get by on less than 5 hours of sleep at night and don't even drink water every day, which is probably going to result in all sorts of painful health problems in the future, yet no one gives a damn.

Vitaamin has a point: some people simply like smoking, the same way so many cannot seem to function with caffeine in the morning. I love the smell of smoke; though I have forced myself to avoid it even if unconsciously. There is something rather appealing about smoking itself. There is the factor of curiosity.

Peer pressure is almost a moot point in this generation at least; everyone I know that smokes does so in secret. They don't think it's cool. They know that if they say they smoke, everyone will hate them. Yet they smoke anyway.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

well bad habit die hard. Smoking from what i heard and read usually began at teenage age also known as "curious age" and not to mention peer pressure. Once you tried it and somehow hooked up and there is where it all begins.

p/s: i dont like smokers that smoke in a public place like restaurant, shopping mall ect. that is just wrong.

Lionhearted911

Lionhearted911

~:. LioNe$s .:~

i have to say, from experience, the nicotine really is not addctive at alllll.... i quit and started again whenever the mood struck me. had nothing to do with an urge to smoke that was slowly driving me crazy.

personally, i picked up smoking as a stress release thing. had family problems, i thought 'ah they say smoking calms!' so i tried it. i don't think it calms, but it becomes kinda funny, the habit in itself is amusing, so when you smoke, you're thinking more about the cigarette than actually your problem.
but i picked it up two months ago, quiet at the end of a month and a half cuz i had to leave college for vacation and visit my family. didn't smoke a stick for two months and i don't really care or think about it.
i don't know if i'll go back to smoking when i travel back to college, i know all my friends hate it, and my bf is not too happy... so i don't think i'll pick up the whole habit again.
and i really don't know what everyone says it's addictive.... i was a darn heavy smoker, a whole packet of twenty a day at least... never felt hooked....
hmmm

Signature Image
FaMiLy MeAn$ NoBoDy GeTs LefT BeHinD 0r ... FoRgoTTen ... ^^

Tatsumi09

Tatsumi09

Seeker of Inner Peace

Smoking can help socially. You don't smoke because you are not social, it's just a nice boost. Another fact is that it's something new you want to try, especially for people who seek new experiences. Unfortunately nicotine has an addictive effect, which is why people keep on smoking after that.

Think of it this way. You go to a new restaurant that serves some really interesting looking dishes. You find a dish that has some exotic ingredients in it with meat that is not fully cooked (equivalent to a steak cooked medium-rare), and there's a star next to it indicating "Eating partially cooked meats may cause diseases". I personally would go for that dish, because it's something new and interesting. I know that it may harm me, but that doesn't stop me from eating it. Now, if the ingredient inside that dish is addictive, and the harms are not "may cause harm" but "will cause harm" that dish is the cigarette you're asking about it. Cigarettes also have the bonus of social boost.

In the end, let people make their own choices. Saying that smokers will harm the people around them is to a certain degree true, but so are the factories that mass-produce all those consumer products we all buy like crazy, emitting smokes into the atmosphere we breathe.

Smoking doesn't make any sense, people aren't getting anything positive out of this. Also they contaminate their family and generic people around them. Come on, even they know cigarettes taste horrible and are quite expensive, but they don't care. Why? Who knows...

I know a lot of people who started smoking at very early age, when they were the most vulnerable to peer pressure. Some of them started when they were in grade 5! I think it is a shame that we are unable to eliminate the image of smoking as something cool and prevent these young people from smoking.

shomai19

shomai19

seraphic_demon

Because it's legal and people just can't help but smoke for reasons only they can answer.

Weep as much as you want and feel the hands of despair groping for your soul for nothing can ease the pain of losing your beloved like the gentle thrust of my pen. *poke*

---
Signature
	ImageAvatar and sig by Melymay, thanks. ^^

hmmm...I thin it's all about human right that they, smokers, can smoke if they want to.
but I really agree that it's too annoying and very bad for people around.

in fact, it couldn't help, I mean, it's up to the country.
I know that, some countries have strict law about smoking in public, so that's surely right.
but just now, there're many countries that allow smoking as usual, so that really could not help.

page 2 of 2 « Previous 1 2 39 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.