Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 Band Highlight Ver. 2 - Minitokyo

Band Highlight Ver. 2

Group announcement by Depths-of-Sound

Choose a band you do not know of (read below first)

Autolux
1 votes
Blonde Redhead
0 votes
Flying Saucer Attack
1 votes
Oceansize
3 votes
A Place to Bury Strangers
5 votes

Only members can vote.

page 1 of 1 7 total items

dslassey

dslassey

The Crazy Gringo

What!? An actual announcement? For DoS?

Yeah, we finally have something to announce that's meaningful. And that meaningful something is a change to the Band Highlight section. Before I get to that, I must tell a SUPER long story. But you can't skip ahead... because... I said so.

When we were first getting this place up and running, fellow admin Saku had an idea for a section. Why not have a People's Choice section, in which you members choose a band that you like best out of a list of bands? Sounded good, but we were having trouble figuring out how and when to introduce it (also, talks stopped OH NOES).

Story's over.
Anyway, I had an idea that came to me in a daydream (while I was walking down the street next to busy traffic... definitely not safe). And that idea was to combine that idea with the current Band Highlight format! But with a twist: Whoever is writing the next band highlight (lately it's been just Pande and I) chooses a category. Now this category can be super vague, or strictly specific. And example of vague would be "Indie Rock Bands". Now that category has hundreds, if not thousands, of bands that'll fit there. A specific category could be something along the lines of "American Hard Rock bands of the early 80's". It's really up to whoever's writing the article that week.

So, how do you choose? Especially if the whole point of the BH is to introduce you to new bands you've never heard of before? Well, that's simple: choose a band you know nothing about, based on how cool you find their name. Awww, but you're asking how do you know you'll like them or not, aren't you? There's no guarantee that you will. And that's the whole point of BH!

Now, each category chosen will have a list of five bands in a poll/announcement. These announcements will be posted about a week before the next Band Highlight, and end a day or two before.

My goal is to make the Band Highlight chosen by the people, for the people. It's my theory that by allowing you to choose, there's a higher chance that you'll actually read it. And this gets to be fun for everyone! Not only will you be discovering a new band, but sometimes we Admins will too. The first category only contains three bands I listen. So if one of the other two is chosen, I'll be discovering a new band myself.

-------------------------------------------(...)

Category: Shoegazing Bands

What is Shoegazing, you ask? Shoegazing is more of a way of performing than it is a musical genre. As a genre, it is a form of alternative rock, featuring extensive use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars.

But why's it called shoegazing? Well, that's because all of the bands play their instruments while remaining motionless (or slightly swaying), while staring at their effects pedals. To the audience, it looked as if they were admiring their own shoes! This did not gain a solid footing back in the day of its formation, causing many of the bands to break up.

Now start voting, gang, for the voting period ends November 21st. That gives you five days, which is more than enough time. If this kicks off, then we'll be doing this for every Band Highlight from now on.

Rock on, Minna. *head bangs while saluting*

pandemonium91

Retired Moderator, Tagger

pandemonium91

You announced it already? Well, the sooner the better :3
I want an "all the above" option in the poll XD I haven't heard of either of those bands!
When this announcement disappears off the page, I'll announce the name table too! (we talked about that one before, remember?)
Anyway, cool idea!

If you can't handle me at my best, then you don't deserve me at my worst!

sailorchiron

sailorchiron

Memories of Eliteness

I like the idea of voting for a bad purely based on how cool their name is.

Ripping walls? You're headed to Banned-ville.
Signature Image

melymay

melymay

Abomidable Snow-Woman

I agree with sailorchiron.

And there should be an all of the above option, because I haven't heard of any of those bands.

If I were to choose my favourite name, I'd go with .. oooh. Hard to pick. I'm stuck with Autolux, Blonde Redhead and A Place to Bury Strangers.

aozoraskies

Linguistics

aozoraskies

MT Age: 50 Dog Years

Whee, D-o-S' first group announcement! XD
The idea sounds really interesting and it's a great way to get us to read the band highlight! There are way too many of us who don't.. >_>
Choosing it by how their names look? Ee, biased. :P Just kidding!
I want to choose all of them! Ah, shucks, since I can't.. *selects "A Place To Bury Strangers"*
Shoegazing.. Now, that's something I never heard before. Look forward to the highlight!
And I apologize beforehand for not answering to the group's gb. >_< I think I'll only have time for that in say,..two weeks? X-O Sorry!
See you!

"Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn" ☆.。・ ψ( ^ω^ )ψ ・°☆
hetalia-axis-powers dgrayman-black-fighters anime-fans-united tag-licious userpageskindesigns linguistics-team make-your-best
Current fandoms: 999 (aka Nine Hours, Nine People, Nine Doors) // Dangan Ronpa // Persona 4 // Gakuen Kino --- From my cold! Dead! Hands!

Haha, I actually do read everything that goes on here. My laziness level has simply leveled up a lot.

...^_^'

I like this new idea, easy way for people to get involved.

THERE ARE SECRETS WHERE FAIRIES DON'T LIVE.
Saltici Comics : Salty: the Misunderstood Spider (updates every Monday)

dslassey

dslassey

The Crazy Gringo

Fot those of you who wished there to be an "all of the above" option, that would've posed some problems. For one, if everyone picked that, how would the band highlight be chosen? I obviously can't highlight five bands at once. Also, if I chose the band if that happened, then it's back to the previous way. XD

page 1 of 1 7 total items

Back to Group Announcements | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.