Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/includes/common.inc.php on line 360 The disadvantage of not able to read/write Chinese words. - Minitokyo

The disadvantage of not able to read/write Chinese words.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

nikko3

nikko3

The Little Princess is here...

Recently, I was in a Chinese Books Conference which import books from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I am a book looker but I have a problem trying to read or write Chinese words. I am blind in this ancient language. I found out there are so many books that are not even exist in English version of it. Especially the local made books. I want to learn more about certain topics that I like. Since I was young, I was tease by my friends because I don't know anything about Chinese language. So, I learn through it and now I am able to speak conversably without any problem. But still, I can't write or read which is dreadful! All I can do is look through the pictures. Starting from one section to another section, I was turning all the pages of the books looking for images that I could understand what is the content of the book. And this is not a good action to do when I am surrounded by those scholars and elderly people. They might think I am a youngster not knowing how to appreciate books. When I reach the Chinese comics book section, I was so thrilled by the amounts of titles available! Each book have a super pretty cover and at the back they include together some "little prizes" like a book mark or a poster or both! And the quality of the book plus the prizes are very good! I can't find those in US licensed Japanese manga. But what can I do, I can't buy the books when I can't even read it. Its so problematic to me. I wish I could have learn through this language but it is not easy as I thought. One must have a good memory and keep on practicing is the way to learn through one language.

So, would you like to share your part of experience of not able to write/read Chinese words?

Signature
	ImageMerry Christmas Aqi-chan, Trofi-chan and Chrisp-san! Hope you all have a warm Christmas day! Thanks for your kind wishes and cards! >:D
Spectacular, stunning. Just look at my Mukuro avatar and Hibari signature image, they are made just for me by chrisp-san.
Mukuro, mukuro, mukurou-chan [Oya?]
Hibird, hibird, namimori~ [Sa!]

angelxxuan

angelxxuan

ぬいぐるみ !

I'm slowly learning kanji, in a way it's about the same principle, my problem is not learning but writing, because the sight of it is coming naturally, like the language did, but I'm left handed and well kanji is done in right handed *sigh*

BuBbLeS!

Signature

nikko3

nikko3

I see, well, writing is very easy to learn. I know when writing a word, you have to start at the starting point and end the last stroke like you are closing the entire journey. All the words are using the same technique. When you get used to the starting point to the last stroke, then whatever word would not be a trouble for you.

Signature
	ImageMerry Christmas Aqi-chan, Trofi-chan and Chrisp-san! Hope you all have a warm Christmas day! Thanks for your kind wishes and cards! >:D
Spectacular, stunning. Just look at my Mukuro avatar and Hibari signature image, they are made just for me by chrisp-san.

I think it is frustrating even to learn because there aren't as many people around to help you. Like for Spanish or French- there are so many groups and anyone can fake it, but you basically have your teacher and your books for learning Chinese. v.v

nikko3

nikko3

Learning without a tutor is quite difficult. I know that because I'm trying to learn by myself and it's hardwork. Provided, you have a good memory. Otherwise, join some night classes to improve yourself.

Signature

Devildude

Devildude

- Alstroemeria Records -

Actually, to be honest with you if you are not chinese educated then you best haul your house and network of friends to Chinatown, only then can you learn.
Chinese letterings are widely varied, between the simple vs traditional is a large business of difference, you are talking about a vocabulary that is irregular and varies in usage in over every province and state, there is no certain way to learn them like systemized languages like French of Spanish, but comparatively it is also more complex and richer in history.

If you are serious however, learning half heartedly will not work, you must submit yourself entirely to learn the art of speaking chinese.

Click signature for my blog
Signature Image
The wind of destiny blows, and the descendant shall walk the earth once more...

z827

z827

UnholyDarknessZ

Well...just learning how to speak it would be temporarily enough.There are alot of proverbs and your grammar will get messed up if you don't arrange your lines well and you will sound extremely awkward if you only speak the basic words.There are several words that have the same meaning or same strokes but different meaning and stuff like that.What's worse is,there are alot of dialects for the Chinese...Cantonese,Hokkien,Teochew...just to name a few.Oh yeah,there is also a traditional and new system of the written language,the old ones have really complex strokes while the new ones are for the sake of making things simpler.It'll be a head start if you just learn the basic language first I guess,I started with "hui" (Know,but if combined with other words it would have different meaning.) "yao" (Want.) , "Xi" (Happiness) , "Si" (Death,dead,die...I wonder why did I start off with this word :P ) and stuff like that.Either way,I'm trying to learn some proverbs now...and I'm STILL having troubles with recognising what word is which XD

MatildaIII

MatildaIII

Yup Chinese is really hard but if you really are interested then without a doubt you will learn to read/write Chinese but not me.. I'm sticking to English and Filipino

The Moon....
The Bright Light
That Shines
Through the Dark

chinese language is the most difficult language i think...

I can actually read/write Chinese, just not fluently. Comes in handy I can tell you, due to the fact that I live in shanghai.

Well... i can't read japanese but i still buy those degenki mags

I used to have an interest in learning Chinese, but nobody would help (not my Chinese friends). They all said it was difficult and not worth it. Or maybe they were too lazy. But somebody I know works for Rosetta Stone. He said that although the software is expensive, he said that it make is easier to learn new languages. He is slowly learning Japanese.

dollyneir

dollyneir

Tuna Stalker

I wanna learn chinese~~~~

Signature
Humans hide behind the curtain they knitted, and stay there for ages.
I'll never be one of them.

It is so complex so I think it's hard to read/write and I think it's not so necessary

I haven't had much experience, but true, it does take a lot of memorization~

sparkliecandy

sparkliecandy

I love kitties!

I consider Chinese as a simple language before but hey! after hearing F4 of Taiwan sing, I was not so sure anymore! But Chinese language is very complex. Im a 1/4 chinese so learning it is really something for me.

I think so chinese is very difficult to teach , but it 's the same fort other language...must be courageous

Can't read raw manga - biggest disadvantage

It's okay if you can't read or write in Chinese. Just please -- PLEASE -- don't get a tattoo in a language you don't understand.

I'm half viet half chinese and I can't read or write Chinese, it really sad. But I can read and write vietnamese. Though it isn't enough. Chinese and Japanese are two languages I would really like to learn, as you said because there is a lot of written text that isn't translated. Not only text but music as well, plus apart from English/latin languages , there is a lot of history and wisdom in the Chinese language, history and culture that cannot easily be interpreted.
I believe once you memorise the sounds and recognise the characters, and the different combinations, as you would in english (for the alphabet and ch, th, st stuff) or vietnamese, you will eventually be creating a solid ground to build up your chinese skills. Of course, as with anything you must practice. Learn the foundations, own them, then build on it.

i wish i could

many disadvantage if ur in china..

recently i had lost my most dream job ever.......
they said.......... based on your qualification and experiences that u have are really suitable for this job HOWEVER u dunno how to write in chinese [ i'm only able to speak since that i'm not chinese educated ], we need someone that able to write in chinese coz u need to travel around china and taiwan country...........
i'm speedless on that time.................
GOD DAMN!
hate it..............just because i dunno how to write in chinese, i'm just lost such as good opportunity in my life........
why.........most hate is they never mentioned about candidates must be able to write in chinese..............when i'm applying in this post..........

Give me a break......................

Hey I'm Chinese & I can't even speak it.
Chinese people give me attitude because of it, I just tell them My family has been in my country for 100 years,& if it weren't for my family yours wouldn't be here, so learn english & learn to love it.
:D
Why come to an english speaking country & think you're better than someone else when you don't even speak the native language.

page 1 of 2 1 2 Next » 25 total items

Back to General Discussions | Active Threads | Forum Index

Only members can post replies, please register.

Warning: Undefined array key "cookienotice" in /var/www/minitokyo/www/html2/footer.html on line 73
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more.